General Dance Discussion > It's Friday ... Are You Going Dancing?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DancePoet, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

So tired. Probably not. :neutral:

2. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

I'm DFing right now. You guess.

3. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Yeah baaaay-baaaaaay!:rocker:+

Atlanta Ballroom Dance center tonight, and hoping at the very least one of my favorite partners will be there, someone I have nicknamed The Reigning Queen of Rumba, doing a slow rumba with her is sheer heaven for this boid! :-D:notworth:

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sounds nice...alas, here answer is no...dh is always too tired for friday parties...saturday parties are okay for him...and I have to come up with some zumba moves for a class tomorrow so...nope

5. Nvm

Nvm New Member

Not tonight. Tomorrow is another day, however.

6. Kits

Kits New Member

Yeah I want last night! My b/f came along...that was interesting....

7. Phil Owl

Did he enjoy it?

8. OleCoot

OleCoot New Member

Went Friday night.. Had Fun, Danced with one of my daughters and my wife.. Which was lucky for me.. Wife has a torn up knee and the daughter is not really into country dancing...I had fun :)

9. Keith & Rita

Keith & Rita Member

We went to our monthly Metro Dance Club dance Saturday night and had a great dance time. This coming Friday is our monthly Friday Night Dance Club. Saturday July 24 is our Coterie Club formal ballroom dance, which is held every 2 months.

10. Phil Owl

11. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Went to my very first social at my new studio. Fun!

However my feet are now KILLING me. Serious cramping the night after. Plus, if the drive home is that dark and unpleasant in July, around the longest days and shortest nigths of the year, it's going to have to be a seriously occasional thing in the winter when it's pitch black out at five.

12. Phil Owl

Definitely going tonight, AND going tomorrow to the official opening of Daza Dance's new Buckhead studio. Tango and me are actually starting to take a liking to each other.

13. Phil Owl

Going tonight, it'll be the only tine this weekend I'll have to do so. Getting the itch to try out some basic Samba too, after all these years :mrgreen:.

14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

in the basement alone...yes

15. Keith & Rita

Keith & Rita Member

No, not until tomorrow night!

16. Phil Owl

None tonight as I'm playing a gig with Burgess Penguin, but tomorrow DEFINITELY, Atlanta Ballroom Dance Club! Some Sunday afternoon action on the table too.:D

17. Joyful Dancer

Joyful Dancer New Member

Absolutely..... can't wait!!!!

18. wiseman

wiseman New Member

Next Friday, I'll be going. I wish I can be like Joyful Dancer and say, "can't wait" but being that it will be my very first social, I'm nervous as heck just thinking about it.

19. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Keep in mind that it will be a mixed experience. Don't expect it (or yourself) to be perfect. Chances are, you'll have some great moments and some uncomfortable moments. Accept them both as part of the experience, try to focus more on the good moments, and it'll be less nerve-wracking.

And do try to get rid of the idea that you need to know a zillion patterns to make a dance enjoyable for your partner. Most women don't care about that as much as many men seem to think. I always tell the beginner leaders I dance with, "As long as you know two patterns, it's not boring to me, since it's always a surprise which one is coming next!" A bit of an exaggeration, but not much. Even doing a whole dance of the basic step is better than sitting down.

For some practical advice, figure out a few combinations of patterns in advance and practice them. That way, you don't have to figure out during each step what comes next. Introduce yourself and ask her name. Start each dance with some basics and then a simple turn to give you time to adjust to one another. If something doesn't work, you can try it one more time, but if it doesn't work the second time, don't do it again with that partner that night. Thank her at the end of the dance (no matter how good or bad the dance was).

If there is a class before the social, go to it, even if it repeats things you know. It's a good warm up and, most important, you'll meet some women that you can ask to dance later.

And remember, the purpose is to have fun!

20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

last night, hit up my first ballroom social in a year. place is 1/2 a mile away as the crow flies... so close! turns out, it was a "luau"-themed party... oof... with lotsa food that didn't interest me, and limbo, hula hoop, and costume contests taking up precious dance time. :rolleyes:

highly spirited bunch, bit of an age range, with, interestingly, the white male retired set dominating. not much good dancing to be had, and the dances were timed very short. :( but loved a good high-energy cha with one of the instructors. :)

i initially figured it was going to be just the first installment of my investment in a new community for the time being, but... i think my dance fix-->entrance fee ratio will be considerably better in the ethnic salsa world.

it sure felt good to be on a floor again, tho! :)

(an odd thing...i was tying for 1st place in limbo with a young girl... and suddenly they gave the award to her. i figured they were rewarding the home team and her youth but... it was rather weird to just be tossed aside without comment after all that hullabaloo. can't say that's how i'd treat a new guest to my own party...:confused: meh... it was still a fun group)