Swing Discussion Boards > "J" Leads . . .

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Vince A, Aug 18, 2004.

1. loupdebois

loupdebois New Member

I'm no expert, but I do find that I use J-leads or something similar in Lindy. From "handshake" position (cross-hand position to some) it's the only way to lead a swingout, but I agree that it's awkward if not done well... sometimes it comes off smoothly and sometimes not. I saw a video of Skye and Freda at the ALHC using J-leads into and out of Texas Tommies, very flashy but beyond me just now... the trouble is that you're giving the follow a clockwise rotation for two counts, then reversing that motion (rather than perpetuating it the way you would in a regular swingout).

2. kayak

kayak Active Member

Wow, that is an interesting answer. There is a lot to think about in it. My experience has been much more pragmatic. I probably lead 70-80% compression just because many ladies don't know the J lead. So I often try a J lead and if she responds, I use it more. If she doesn't, then I just adapt with a different lead.

3. Dancelf

Dancelf Member

BTW: I had intended to write "you can start from the premise that the rotation is correctly led with compression, blah blah blah".

4. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

. . . and the word "correctly" being the key word??? Or is it "blah?"

5. GTO Bruin

GTO Bruin Member

I am a hand dancer (six count slotted swing variant from DC). J leads have not been part of Hand Dance, but my instructor has incorporated the J lead because it is a very effective technique for leading passes with both inside and outside turns. I see it as a normal evolution of dance to incorporate elements from other styles. To me, the J lead is a very important step forward for Hand Dance.

6. LindyKeya

LindyKeya Member

Am I the only who thinks we're talking about two different things here?
    1. the J-hook
    2. a more circular lead, probably from cross-hand

To me, a J-hook is something that can be fun, in moderation, but it would not (and should not) be anyone's basic. This leads to a variation of the basic, but should not indicate what is generally accepted as proper technique for a basic.

What many people are describing, instead, seems like something I would classify differently - from a cross-hand position, winding the follow up to turn after the rock step. This is merely the logical extension of turning one's own body - the difference between rocking straight back, and curving.

7. Dancelf

Dancelf Member

It was pretty clear to me that everybody was talking about the same thing, until you asked.

I can't remember that I have ever heard a wcs instructor use the term "J lead" in any context other than "leader's left hand connected to follower's right hand, communicating that the follower is expected to rotate to her right". The same technique can be applied from a right-to-left hold, when you want the follower to rotate to her left - but using the term "J lead" to describe it exhibits a bit of dyslexia.

If you believe that the lead should be indicating the travel of the follower's center, then a J lead is exactly right for a whip - come straight this way, then turn over the arriving foot. (See previous comment about losing mind-share; not everyone agrees with the premise here.)

I have no position on what J-lead means to a lindy hopper's ear. The two dances share physics, physiology, and history, but this does not imply that they also share vocabulary.

8. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Agree with Danceelf when talking about WCS. I guess I use it to go into a Whip, too.

9. chandra

chandra New Member

Swinginstyles underlined BODY is the important bit to me here. Yes. I use a J lead when I lead. But its a J body lead.

Stand up and do whip footwork, with you elbow at your side arm bent in leading position. keep it there. what letter does the hand draw? Yup, a J.

So I just keep the hand there, and let the body lead. Technically my hand is following a J pattern, however I am not emphasizing that pattern AT ALL.

Uh, when i lead a whip I allow my hand to slightly drop lower on the end part of the J. I suppose the only intentional letter I draw is very skinny downwards J.

10. kayak

kayak Active Member

Yep, that is pretty close to what I do as well. A little J-hook with a body lead as well. I figure I might as well make the lead a clear as possible :)