Salsa > Jamaicanspice here with a request

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by jamaicanspice, Sep 8, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Still a category four ... :( I'm hoping that, be the time Ivan does finally making a direct hit, it has weakened.

The pictures of devastation in Grand Cayman are pretty sobering, especially when you realize that the storm didn't even hit the island directly.

And you know what gets me? The idiotic local newcasters here who are saying stuff like,"Ivan is moving west. That's good news for us." Okay, so maybe it won't hit my house, for which I am grateful. I won't lie about that. But Ivan is still a killer storm, so I think it's very insensitive for newscasters to say things like that. :evil: It'll be good news when the storm has run its course and stopped hurting people.

2. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

You and I, everytime I hear them it gets me so annoyed, GREAT, YES, it's heading west, as if hitting any other country is acceptable as long as it isn't the US. fools!

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Some Americans tend to be too Americo-centric.

4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Agreed... but I can also understand that those in local areas who have already been hit by the last two saying that it is good news that there won't be a third hit in the exact same place. That, to me at least, seems understandable.

5. pygmalion

Yes. True. I now know what the expression one two punch means. :?

6. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

hi guys, sorry I was out of touch but we lost internet connection here (apparently islandwide) on sunday when the hurricane reached Cayman. Just came back last night. Also last night my house got back light but we still have no water. Most persons have no light or water right now and that's whose who have houses. Many many persons lost everything....I've been looking at the footage at work and it amazes me EVERYTIME!!! I keep thinking that if this is what happened and we were not hit directly then I don't want to think about what would have happened if we WERE hit directly.

On a sad note.....I just heard that my friend lost her brother...he's among the fifteen persons that Hurricane Ivan claimed in Jamaica. Total deaths stands at 19 last I heard...the additional four are in relation to gangwars going on now (well ever since Ivan hit)....there have also been around 21 cases of rape reported since the hurricane (youngest female - 14, oldest female - 45). There are some SICK people in this world.....SICK people!!

I still haven't heard from my brother or his family as yet but I saw the raw footage from Cayman (taken by Jamaican T.V. cameramen who were flown over the island) last night and it does not look good.

7. Sabor

Sabor New Member

yes darling.. this world is very sick.. and sometimes i'm ashamed of being human in all honesty.. but u have to be strong and keep the love tho.. thats the only savior and soul healer..

hope it brightens up for u and many other crisis ridden places in this sorry sorry planet..

no matter what.. remeber that u are the friend of many.. and they care/pray for u.. mucho besos!

8. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

thank you Sabor

9. pygmalion

Glad to see you back, JS.

And I'm sorry to hear about your friend's loss. It always seems so surreal when these things happen. Of the relatively few people who died, what are the chances that you'd know (or know of) one of them? And why? :(

About the gang wars and rapes, I agree. There are some sick people in this world, and crises like these give them another excuse to do their dirt. :evil:

Your brother and his family are in my prayers, JS. They're probably fine, just incommunicado. It may take a while, but I have faith you'll be hearing from them soon. Hugs.

10. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

thank you pygmalion...Im praying too.

11. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:shock: Did I blink or have I missed something here? Just read something about another hurricane potentially forming. This one is called Jeanne.

12. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I am fatigued over here, but as always I am still praying for you and everyone who is enduring these hurricanes.

13. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

GREAT NEWS!!!! MY BROTHER AND HS FAMILY ARE OK!!!!! Just spoke to my mom and she told me that my brother's wife contacted my dad in the States and he called her to let her know that they were ok and were in the process of trying to get a flight to Jamaica this evening....if not then they would try to get one to my dad in the States!!! Either way THEY ARE ALIVE AND WELL!!!! THANK YOU GOD!! THANK YOU JESUS!!!

14. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

its amazing how they jumpr from Wednesday when the hurricane hit Puerto Rico to Sunday when it is supposed to hit Florida and completely MISS everyone else in between that it is supposed to touch.....hmmmm you know I'm getting really tired of this kind of broadcasting.

Yes I know about Jeanne...its cutting across Dominican Republic..passing Cuba....is projected to hit Bahamas again before reaching the States.

15. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

16. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

That's great news about your brother JS!!! :D

17. pygmalion

Thank goodness your brother and his family are okay.

And, about the broadcasting. It's not just the weather reports that are overly US-centered. The US's obsession with itself extends to the rest of the news as well, which is why I read the New York Times and watch BBC or ITN news, if I want to know more of the truth.

18. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

thank you you guys!!! your prayers and words of encouragement and support really helped me get through the last few days!! I can't tell you how releived I was when I got the call from mom today. I hope they can get a flight to Jamaica tonight as I hear EVERYONE wants to flyout of Cayman as soon as possible. I'm hoping that when I go home they will be there.......once again thank you guys so much and God be praised!! He truly is a merciful God!!

pygmalion....you have Ivan on the left and Jeanne on the right....how are YOU handling that kind of pressure. I hope you and yours are ok and wont have any worries where these two systems are concerned. I'll be keeping an eye out for you.

19. squirrel

squirrel New Member

I am glad for you JS! Hope your mom and dad will be all right!

20. pygmalion

I'm not sure. I feel fine, so I'm guessing my brain has kicked in and protected me from myself. I'll feel bad after the crisis passes. :lol: