Salsa > Jamaicanspice here with a request

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by jamaicanspice, Sep 8, 2004.

1. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

lol! at pygmalion...well that's a good thing then I guess lol lol

@squirrel: my parents are recent divorcees so on an individual basis...yeh they are happy everyone is now ok and accounted for

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Glad everybody's fine, JS! 8)

Actually, there are several organizations here sponsoring free support groups and psychological counseling sessions to help relieve what they're calling "hurricane stress." And many, especially people who lost their homes, businesses or loved ones, are being treated for post traumatic stress disorder. It's scary stuff, facing the danger for weeks on end. But it will pass. 8)

I'm deeply worried about TemptressToo and DancingMommy. I haven't seen or heard from either one since the post-Charley checkin. If anyone is in contact with either of them, please PM or post and let us know they're okay.

3. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Umm, wans't DancingMommy headed out of the country?

4. pygmalion

Yes. She said she was headed out of the country for three weeks. My worry is that the river which runs through her town is cresting and is expected to breach the sea wall and cause widespread flooding. So the sooner I hear from her, the better I'll feel.

5. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

has anyone heard from them as yet???

some pictures were emailed to me this morning showing some areas here that were affected by the hurricane.....some of these I didn't even know about!!! I am posting the folder of pix in the photo album

6. pygmalion

No word yet.

How's the recovery coming, JS? Looks like Haiti got the worst of it, in terms of loss of life anyway. So awful.

And Jeanne is headed to Florida -- that's three hurricanes in six weeks. No four. The eye wall of Ivan made landfall in Florida, too. So that's three in my neck of the woods in six weeks. Ya gotta laugh. :?

7. pygmalion

Oops. My bad. TT posted in a couple threads yesterday (I'm just getting caught up with my reading. :oops: ) So I guess that means she's okay.

Latest Jeanne update, btw. The eye wall is forecast to pass right through my neighborhood, just like Charley did. The worst of the storm is supposed to be here at about 8AM tomorrow. 90 - 110 mph winds. I wonder how my new roof is going to hold up. :roll:

8. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Take care, Pygmalion!

9. pygmalion

I'm okay. Just lonely. All my irreplaceable stuff is in the trunk and my evacuation bag is packed (in case of a tornado.) I have all my supplies and I'm set for whatever happens.

I was fine until I went outside to check conditions and saw my neighbor out there -- she's there with her husband, her daughters, her sons-in-law, and all of her grandchildren. And I'm here by myself. It's sad. But I'm sure I'll be fine. As always. I'll check in as soon after the storm as I can.

Thanks for your good wishes, cocodrilo. 8) :D

10. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Pygmalion...what part of Florida are you in?

11. pygmalion

TT... thank God you're okay!!! :banana: I was really worried, especially after seeing Ivan pictures. I hope all's well. If not, please let me know how I can help. :friend:

I live in Orlando ... central Central Florida. So my place usually doesn't get the very worst of storms, but we do get it. The eye of Charley, as best I can tell, went right over my house. Frances, I got the eye wall -- lots of rain and high winds, but not the very worst. Ivan, just the outer bands. And now the eye of Jeanne is predicted to travel through my neighborhood again. Not complaining. That's life, I guess.

There are people in lots of other places who get it worse, and more often.

Hang in. It looks like Jeanne is not predicted to come your way --- thank goodness. People out your way have had enough.

Hang in, sweetie, and keep safe. Hugs.

Jenn

12. tasche

tasche New Member

My theory is the that Jeb is being smited so maybe if you put in in the path of the hurricane they might stop

( very tounge in cheek though I did see an intresting hand colored flier to day "Vote for Kerry Hes less Scary" )

13. pygmalion

And sacrifice our fearless leader? :shock: Never! :wink: btw, you're not the first person I've heard say that. Sins of the father being visited on all Florida. That's how the "theory" goes. Personally, I think it has more to do with global warming, nuclear testing, etc, that have just messed up the world's weather patterns. :?

Actually, in all fairness, I have to say I think Jeb has done an excellent job of holding things together through unbelievable circumstances. He has done a great job of leading, and I think he deserves credit for that, even if I don't necessarily agree with the rest of his politics.

14. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Just saw footage on the news of the damage that Jeanne did, with small planes turned over, roofs of houses missing and left 2 people dead. Was everything OK over where you are, Pygmalion?

15. pygmalion

Thanks for asking. Yes. Jeanne was a surprisingly nasty and long-lasting storm. The eyewall came right through my neighborhood and lasted six or seven hours. Jeanne is a huge storm.

It's the luck of the draw, in terms of damage, and I've been lucky. My new roof saved me. There was very little new damage, so I can't complain. Many of my neighbors weren't so lucky, especially the ones with plastic tarp over roofs damaged by previous storms. I had a few leaks in the house, caused by work done not-quite-properly by the roofers, but overall, I'm counting my blessings today. I didn't even lose electrical power. 8)

I am so, so lucky. 8)

16. Sakura

Sakura New Member

Glad to hear that you guys have made it out okay! :? The number and consecutiveness of these hurricanes is astounding....

Hugs to all of you, and I hope things can get picked up and brought back to normal as painlessly as is at all possible. You guys are all in my prayers! :friend: :friend:

Sakura Kitty :kitty:

17. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

pygmalion so glad to hear that you came out it ok...I'm only getting online and trying to catch up on all I missed. I have lots of family and friends in Florida (you included) who I will have to be calling as of tomight to find out how they faired with Jeanne. You are not gonna believe this but my brother and family left Cayman after Hurricane Ivan and went to Florida to stay with our family there......only to have Jeanne hit you guys!! I hope they are ok and that they don't try for Georgia to my dad because if I'm not mistaken isn't that where Jeanne is supposed to leave her mark as well??

pygmalion.....it can be a lonely at times especially in times like this when you see other persons with their families preparing to 'ride out the storm' together and you have no-one to ride it out with too....BUT....you have us :D we'll be here for you through thick and thin...rain or shine...darkness and light...hurricane or tropical storm :D we'll keep you company.....pray for your safety and wish for your continued presence on this forum if only to let us know you are ok. You are never alone...not with us here :) never forget that! :)

18. tasche

tasche New Member

At least in FL you have somewhere to evacuate to. When I live in NZ and we had bad cyclones ( like hurricanes but they run the "other" direction just ike the toilets) we didn't evacuate bc where are you going to go? Most NZ'er live less than 30mins from either coast.

19. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

OUCH!!!!!!!!!! :doh: I feel your pain my friend :(

20. pygmalion

Yes. I've often wondered how awful that must feel. No escape. Just a big, scary storm coming your way. At least here, you usually have a choice.

I was alone during Jeanne, but I either had people over or went to stay with others during all the other storms, so I'm usually not lonely. Thanks for the support, JS. You are a gem. :friend:

Jeanne was unexpected and came in fairly quickly, so I didn't have time to make the usual arrangements. I mean, really, who expects four hurricanes in six weeks? :? :(

Good luck to your family, JS. If they're in South Florida, the impact was fairly minimal, from what I'm hearing, this time around. And yes, Jeanne is headed to Georgia, as a tropical storm, which shouldn't be as bad. Lots of rain, but much less damaging winds. I'm thinking of and praying for your Dad. I think Jeanne will be there within a day or so. :?