General Dance Discussion > Jealous spouses

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Oct 11, 2003.

1. will35

will35 New Member

I'll ask you guys another qustion though on the same topic. Do you or your significant others have to ask your partner's permission before dancing with someone?
    -Madam Samba

Absolutely. I should certainly never consider dancing with a friend's spouse without consulting the friend first. When men ask me if they can dance with my wife, I say, "Ask her." That is just a cover, though. What I really mean to say is "Sure, thank you for asking." I know beforehand the men with whom my wife likes to dance. If they are drunk, they don't get near her.
    I never ask a woman to dance who came with a man I don't know. If the woman introduces me to the new man, I'll feel free to ask her if she wants to dance. After all, I was dancing with her before they were together. It's not about insecurity, but about respect for the spouse.

2. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

permission to dance

Hiya, Will35. I understand your point about respect fully, but that wasn't quite what I was getting at. :)

I'm talking about socially, when a girl (or a guy) walks up to someone and says, "would you like to do Foxtrot with me?" and he turns around and says, "Um...I'd love to, but I've got to get my girlfriend's permission first.''

A few weeks ago, I said something to one guy I regularly dance with (who is about 30 years older than me, mind you) who looked a little down and he said, "I can't smile. Then I'll look like I'm having fun and I won't be allowed to dance with you again.'' argh!

So, I wasn't necessarily talking about asking a friend, though obviously there will be times when that is relevant, but simply, socially when you walk up to someone, who may or may not be alone and they want to dance, but "must" get permission first. Even this is awkward, though. I, personally, wouldn't ask someone who was with their partner, unless I knew them both, but you can't always know who is together and, inevitably, you're going to ask someone inadvertantly who is with someone else. I think the above case is different, though, Will35.

I've actually started another post about it, Will35 http://www.dance-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1035.

3. Sarah

Sarah New Member

When you consider that Australia has approximately the same width as the continential US, and that NZ is half that distance away again, it becomes less surprising. In NZ at the moment we're at +13:00 GMT. Daylight savings time you see.

Cheers
    Sarah

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Totally amazing how clueless I am about geography. The schools I went to made you memorize all sorts of useless facts, but when it came to anything useful, like world geography or, for that matter, anything from a world perspctive, nil. I'll have to pull out my atlas and take a look. I'm GMT - 4 at the moment. -5 in a couple weeks, when daylight savings time ends.

5. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Ok Boo, we're having too many stories that are alike. The same thing happened to me, just change the names and that same story is mine when I first starting going out with my b/f. :lol: Same blonde, same situation, and he didn't remember her name either. How funny is that?

6. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

Maybe there's some crazy blonde who travels dance scenes nation wide with the sole intent on making girlfriends jealous?!! :lol:

7. dancergal

dancergal New Member

It's true! :D And she always shows up at dance conventions and throws herself at any good looking man and pretends to know him. Then she gives the girlfriends a snotty look and drags the man out on the dance floor. But we girlfriends are really smart and we attached an invisible thread on our man, and reel it in when the dance is over and the crazy blonde is left on the dance floor alone wondering what happened!! (ok, I had too much caffiene this morning!) :D :D

8. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

You really never know.

9. pygmalion

Hey. All the best boyfriends have strings attached. Strings attached, get it? :lol: Hehe! Double entendre time! :lol:

10. dancergal

dancergal New Member

This did happen a few years ago. I don't really get jealous anymore. I know my honey is devoted to me and it shows. He can dance with anyone else, or even go to a dance without me and I'm fine with it. I know he's a dancing nut just like me. A trusting relationship is one of the best! :D

11. pygmalion

Yes, sister! I've found that jealousy is a wasted emotion for me. Either the guy wants to be with me, in which case I can't make him leave, or he doesn't want to be with me, in which case, I can't make him stay.

Either way, jealousy does no good. It just undermines otherwise healthy relaionships, IMHO. *shrug*

12. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

Very true on all counts.