Tango Argentino > Videos > Jealous with deep respect

Discussion in 'Videos' started by opendoor, Dec 5, 2010.

1. JohnEm

JohnEm Well-Known Member

Ha Ha, very funny.

Suggest you read my post again. And you make my point.
    It's a performance - indeed he is showing off how clever he is!
    I never said you couldn't enjoy it for what it is, that's their purpose
    after all. But I'd rather not be on the same floor as others "performing"
    like that, it doesn't create easy co-existence as is proved at many milongas.

For me tango is not choreographed "moves" or step sequences - been there,
    done that and left it behind. For me tango is dancing in the moment to the music,
    that is indeed the charm of it. Pre-learned moves don't usually fit the music
    unless they are choreographed. Much of Tristezas was just ignored here.
    As I've said before it's already too late; you confirm that though there are exceptions.

What most people abroad perceive as Argentine Tango is not what the Argentines
    themselves dance. It amuses me to learn that people going to BsAs ask teachers
    to prepare them for dancing there. Isn't that recognition enough that mostly
    we don't actually dance Argentine Tango but some derivation received via
    show-tango/fantasia which seems to have morphed into a semi-standardised
    teaching tango abbreviated for marketing and convenience to VU.

And while many are learning so-called Villa Urquiza, my understanding
    is that the original VU has been largely lost in favour of staying in a
    milonguero embrace. See the Tango Voice blog for more about that.

2. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I'm guessing they wouldn't want you on the floor either, when they are giving a performance.

[​IMG]

3. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

:uplaugh:

4. I have to agree with that. I think it's really a pity they sacrificed their musicality to fancy steps, no matter how beautiful they look.

5. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

If you watch closely he's singing along; i dont think there's anything wrong with his musicality; its just too subtle for most people to perceive. ;)

this is a Buneos Aires audience after all; he doesnt have to dance in a way that says "Look at me I'm being musical"

6. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Are you talking about the music or the lyrics? There are plenty of versions of tango songs where the music does not have the same emotion as the lyrics do. I always dance to the music, which is what they did. The idea that one needs to listen to the Libertad Lamarque version, to properly dance to the Calo / Beron version does not make any sense to me.

It's about the music. Either you can feel it or you can't.

7. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

Actually the audience is in Spain. According to the YouTube description:

The teachers Sebastian Achaval (2005 World Tango Salon champion) and Roxana Suarez, dance the tango, "Tristezas de la calle Corrientes" by the Orchestra of Miguél Caló with Raúl Berón, in the VIII MEETING of TANGO LOVERS 2010 Organized by the Tango Club Community of Valenciana, in the Hotel Olympia de Alboraya - Valencia (Spain), the past 11/29/2010

"Los maestros Sebastian Achaval (campeón del Mundo de Tango Salón del 2005) y Roxana Suarez, bailan el tango "Tristezas de la calle Corrientes" por la Orquesta de Miguél Caló con Raúl Berón, en el VIII ENCUENTRO DE AFICIONADOS AL TANGO 2010 Organizado por el Club Tango Comunidad de Valenciana, en el Hotel Olympia de Alboraya - Valencia (España), el pasado 29/11/2010"

the vid rumbarose recommended where they dance to "Junto a tu Corazon" is in Bs.As.

this is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETF-fQdid4A

Judging musicality by Youtube vids is problematic because the compression scheme that they use to encode the video added to the compression scheme used by the original camera, can introduce some timing differences between what was seen through the camera's viewfinder & what appears on the posted vid. I've posted over 300 YT vids @ http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum
    & noticed there is sometimes a loss between what I had seen & experienced & what the YT viewer sees.

8. That's not what I meant, sorry if my post was misleading. I find his musicality superb, actually. I simply point out that he dances in a way that says "Look, I can do complicated stuff", and by doing that he sometimes has to catch up with the music because he's out of the beat. Which is a pity.
    Then again, this may be too subtle for most people to perceive ;)