Tango Argentino > Jewish Tango

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Cats, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Cats

Cats New Member

I thought they were just trying to make a movie in Tango Lesson. But ReporTango this month documents Jewish Tango. It only gives Sunrise Sunset from Fiddler on the roof as an example. Does anyone know what recordings/songs are considered part of Jewish Tango?

Help is appreciated

>^..^<

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

3. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Jewish tango? Wow. Now that I think about it, it makes sense. Am definitely going to look into it _ starting with Sagitta's links!

Thanks, cats!

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

How is Jewish tango different from Argentine Tango or ballroom tango? Anybody know?

5. Cats

Cats New Member

Ballroom Tango and Argentine Tango are two different dances. Ballroom Tango adheres to the ballroom conventions for frame and technique and has a basic step. Argentine Tango is very different in it's technique and has no basic step.

Jewish or Yiddish Tango is actually Argentine Tango. About the turn of the 20th century Tango caught fire in Europe much the way Salsa dancing is popular in many countries today. When it got popular in eastern europe some jewish composers wrote tango music with yiddish lyrics.

>^..^<

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Oh! That's kind of surprising. I would have expected the orthodox community to be a bit too straight-laced for tango... But then again,maybe it wasn't the orthodox. :? I'll have to check out thoselinks and do some more googling. Cool. This is interesting. :D

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

They say "oy vey" instead of "caramba."

8. rothshahar

rothshahar New Member

I think that "oy vey" is a shortcut for "oy va'avoy" :lol: