Ballroom Dance > Videos > Josef and Tze Impromptu Bolero

Discussion in 'Videos' started by lcdancesport, Nov 19, 2007.

1. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

(Finals from the open Bolero event at the National Collegiate Championships, 18 November 2007...Dance Bolero 2007 National Collegiate Championship Ohio Star Ball.)

Ok two things before you watch this, I'm not sure what happened to this guy's dance partner, but the other guy stepping in is pretty good! Also, you may cringe a little bit in the beginning from something else that happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMEC-C0Tg3U

2. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

3. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

:shock: that HAD to have hurt. Looks like she tried it again right afterwards, and he didn't drop her. What event is this? Looks *very* impromptu, with (aside from two guys dancing together) people dancing Bolero in jeans and ballgowns....:confused:

4. lcdancesport

The video said it's the finals for bolero for the collegiate championships at Ohio Star (it happened yesterday actually).

5. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

Josef and Tze rock!

6. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

No number

It may say that but the "different" couple have no number. And I can't imagine a same-sex couple being allowed to be marked at any mainstream sanctioned comp.

7. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

I thought they finally reached an agreement that allowed same sex couples at NCC in syllabus or something.

By looking at the event, the costumes and123 noticed, etc, "team match" is the most likely explanation, but then I thought there were comments that the NCC team match was run in some other format, so who knows.

8. lcdancesport

I don't think the kid in jeans was actually competing, I think he jumped in with whoever that guy was at the last minute, neither had a number on. I don't think I'd be too happy if that couple got in my way and I was registered to compete in that category.

9. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Why? What's wrong with them? They are dancing a very nice bolero, and don't appear to be in anybody's way as far as I can tell from the video.

10. chica latina

chica latina New Member

THe event is probably open to all bolero-- and I agree... Tze and Josef look good!

11. lcdancesport

I know they're not in anyone's way, but if the floor were more crowded, or if more traveling were involved, then I'd be a bit unhappy. In this case they're not, and they look good :p

My teacher just went to Ohio Star with a student and she accidentally slipped and hit her head pretty hard too during a dance, and got right back up and kept on going and still placed. I'd just be happy just to see straight!

12. skwiggy

What about them would bother you? Is it that they are a same-sex couple? Or that one of them is in jeans? Or that they don't appear to be wearing a number?

They obviously know how to dance bolero and appear to be taking the competition seriously.

13. lcdancesport

No I mean it doesn't look like they're a registered couple to compete, it looks like they're doing it for fun (b/c neither one is wearing a number), hence why the title of the video says "impromptu", but if I were a serious competitor and they happened to get in my way when I was trying to travel somewhere and messed up my routine, I wouldn't be happy because it could effect the final results.

14. Chris Stratton

As compared to the couple dancing it in their smooth costumes?

15. skwiggy

I take it you've never been to a collegiate competition before? :p

16. lcdancesport

Okay, I don't think you understand. The "impromptu" dancers are VERY GOOD, I'm saying it doesn't look like they're registered to compete for this specific heat/round/whatever, I'm not saying they DON'T look like dancers or competitors, because obviously they are.

I understand at a competition people are all over the place on the floor, it can get crowded and crazy, but if I paid to be out there to compete and want to do the best I can, I wouldn't be happy if a couple just comes out on the floor to dance for fun if they didn't pay to compete in this specific heat/round and my partner and I were trying to do a routine and they happened to be in the way of where we were trying to go.

Maybe someone was missing their dance partner and someone filled in at the last minute, but I'm just trying to point out neither one of the guys is wearing a number so they are most likely not actually competing in that specific event.

This is getting more complicated than it needs to be lol.

17. Chris Stratton

Nobody gets to just walk on the floor without the permission of the organizers.

If they are on the floor with permission, then they are entered in the event.

Given that at least one other couple seems to be in the wrong costume, it doesn't look like the type of event where numbers are necessarily issued in advance and used.

18. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

This was taken from the youtube comments underneath the video (my highlights)

19. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

You guys must be kidding. The boleros on this vid are awful (unless, it was really a just for fun thing). I don't know why I am not surprised that this is supposedly a major comp.

20. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Maybe so, but to get up and do an impromptu, improvised, same sex dance in a comp? That's gotta take some guts, and that's pretty cool.