Swing Discussion Boards > Just started learning WCS

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by sync, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Hey sync,

Your last post is this thread on your WCS dancing was back on the 8th . . . so how is your CWS coming along?

BTW . . . I didn't welcome you before . . . so WELCOME!

2. Horizon

Horizon New Member

Sure that's appropriate with partner dancing. You should be moving your whole body, and not just your feet :) You also hit music with your partner, i.e. compressions, etc. Your footwork is just half of it.

3. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Those are useful reminders, but I'm still having a hard time lol. However, I tend to be hard on myself, and I've only been dancing for a month and a half now lol. I can't expect to learn this stuff over night with my schedule lol. Oh well. ;)

Any tips on arms?

4. It's Wonderful

It's Wonderful New Member

One visual that helped me keep the correct tension and reaction in my arms is imagining that my elbow is connected to my hip by a bungee cord that can't go below ~5 inches (so I don't collapse my arm behind my torso). By thinking of the arm connected to the hip, I would transfer the lead automatically, which means I need to keep my feet in the floor and maintain arm connection. When I feel a pull, my hip feels it too, when I am pushed, my hip gets pushed as well. So for me at least, it helped me remember-without-thinking-of several important points. Does that make any sense whatsoever?

5. Horizon

Horizon New Member

If I may interject... Weight should be over the center of the foot, not the balls of your feet. That will make you too forward weighted (which I have a problem with). It will also make you look like you're dancing on your toes. You want to be more grounded, which means your weight should be evenly distributed across the whole foot.

It's also hard to set a connection if you're forward weighted. Again, I suffer from this problem. I bend my knees a little too much, and I dance on the balls of my feet, which makes it even more obvious that my knees are bent, heh...

6. Horizon

Horizon New Member

Good analogy.

7. Horizon

Horizon New Member

Tips on arms...

Keep your elbows around your waist. Your arms shouldn't be too tense, but you don't want them flapping around either. Too tense makes for a bad lead, and too loose makes for a uncertain lead. If what you're doing with your arms looks natural, you're probably OK :) Check out a video of Jordan Frisbee, he keeps his free elbow in near his waist with his forearm out in a natural position. When in doubt, do as the pros do :) Just make sure your free arm follows your body. Again, natural :)

8. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Actually...Keep your elbow/wrist at the follower's waist level. In WCS she's going to be doing more than you and to have her hand elsewhere is going to screw up bloodflow and be very uncomfortable for her. That said, it should also be natural for you like Horizon said...this isn't ballroom where you need some high frame, it's a casual street dance, it's meant to be comfortable.

Also when putting her in spins...don't bring your hand high...bring it just high enough to clear her hairdo. Anything lower and you'll clothesline her, anything higher is going to take her off center as she'll have to reach.

9. Mr. Dance

Mr. Dance New Member

That link and this thread is very enlightning, thank you all !! Ive been noticing in my WCS swing class practices how much of a difference just a slight arm adjustment makes for her and me. She moves so much more comfortable and it looks so much better.

10. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Just remember, WCS is a dance so subtlety...a tiny flex of the fingers can tell your follow (especially an outstanding one) a lot about what you want her to do. Never pull or demand with your movements, always suggest.

11. uncle joe

uncle joe New Member

Tradsman,
    The answer to your questions on the 'Six Count Lindy are posted on page 32 of the 335 commentaries by Black Sheep.
    Uncle Joe