Salsa > Keeping the Connection

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by peachexploration, Jan 4, 2004.

1. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Well, okay. I didn't think this happened but that's what I get for being naive. :roll: I hear from instructors time and time again about the importance of keeping the connection between you and your partner. I was watching one of the Salsa Conference videos from 2003 and to my surprise saw one of the "Masters" :roll: sizing up the competition and totally "ignoring" her partner. It was awful. Her poor partner could barely get through the dance because she was more interested in the couple next to her. We've touched on this a little in other threads but was just wondering if anyone had a quick remedy for this or do you tough it out for the 3-5 minutes song? I can see this happening to alot of our newbie dancers which could be a total turn off for them in any dance. :cry:

2. David

David New Member

Try a different spot on the dance floor... if you can. A move I quite like, although you do need space available, involves a little travelling. I get half way through a move which captures the woman and has her moving forwards, usually a cross-body variation. Then, instead of doing the second half of the move I'll take her for a little (8 count) walk :wink: Then I'll finish off the rest of the move. Always gets appreciative comments and puts you in a different location on the dance floor.

Or try something else "off-the-wall" to draw your partners' attention back to where it should be.

3. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

David, great tip! I wonder if the follow could do this sort of trick while doing a shine :?: