Swing Discussion Boards > Kicked out of class

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by hepcat, Feb 13, 2006.

1. hepcat

hepcat Member

I've seen it happen too, I'll admit. These are specific cases where the misplaced dancer is vocal and asks a lot of inane beginner questions. Helpful instructors get sucked in and it makes the class drag. I admit that I get frustrated and roll my eyes on these occassions. However, if the instructor has a good handle on the situation and is aware that it's going to drag the class down, they will explain it once, maybe twice, but if they ask again, they'll ask them to come see them after class or make some other comment about moving ahead and press on. I even think it's completely appropriate to politely refuse to answer a question at all if it's too low level for the class.

That's the sink or swim approach and I totally like that way of dealing with it. I definitly think that a disruptive misplaced dancer is a bad thing, but again, I don't think it's a big deal if an instructor knows how to deal with it. I tend not to ask questions if I feel in over my head, although I try and illicit feedback from those I encounter in rotation.

As far as competition goes, I can't speak to it being an American thing or not. I haven't danced enough out of the country to comment on it, but I can say that our scene is not competitive at all, although I don't have anything against it the way IW describes. I think that's awesome. It's the political/popularity aspect that sometimes accompanies it that turns me off. I tried competing once and I got extremely nervous. I haven't competed since. I just don't like that feeling. I'd rather watch, although if I had a partner that encouraged me to compete, I might be talked into it... It's the same way I feel about public speaking. I used to compete/audition back in school for placing in orchestras and I got extremely nervous back then too even though I typically ranked very high and was confident in my skill. I'm just afraid of freezing up.

My desire to improve my dancing doesn't stem from wanting to be better than anyone else. I just want to look cool and have a great time. I'll admit I will strut around and show off, slide up to girls, etc. I'll admire the skills others have and study their steps and sometimes steal moves. Guys do that with my moves as well, but my thoughts are not to be better than anyone else other than me. I want to be better than "me". It's like they say: imitation is the highest compliment. It doesn't have to mean that you're trying to be better than them. It just means that you thought that what you saw them do was really cool.

Sometimes I think that if I lived in a bigger scene with more & better dancers, it would push me to improve faster. I'd be inspired by what I see on the dance floor from others. That's why I have so much fun at workshops and exchanges and I always come back a better dancer because I see so much that inspires me. However, I don't think that's necessarily indicative of a desire to strive to be better than anyone else. I think it's a product of being infested with the spirit/joy of the dance itself - not that there's anything wrong with a competitive nature (it's just not me).

I greatly admire and respect humility, but I have the same admiration and respect for skill and talent. I think it's great when people have the courage to compete and if it's someone I know, you can bet I'll be cheering the loudest, but you more often than not won't see me out there competing myself despite the fact I try and talk myself into it. And I'll be the first one to encourage my friends to compete as well.

-hepcat

2. d nice

d nice New Member

That is more what I'm talking about, being the best YOU can be, not trying to necessarily trying to be better than another person...

Now competition, I wasn't talking about contests, I was talking about that competitive spirit where you and a friend or two try and out do each other. That is the spirit of the Jam Circle and Cats Corner. The friendly one-upsmanship. No prizes, no money, not even any real prestige, just the respect of your peers and that sense of satisfaction that you threw down.

All of this is part of the legacy of Lindy Hop, as prevelant in the Savoy Ballroom as the Swing Out.

3. luh

luh Active Member

i was pretty surprised, my instructor gave me on m bday a gift certificate for a private. I don't know if it's supposed to be an excuse, or whatever. But that is definetly cool!
    luh

4. lynn

lynn New Member

Wow, good for you!! Yeah, it IS a pretty good marketing tool ;) !! But it also gives you a chance to try out his private class if you haven't yet had the opportunity.

5. petitetonya

petitetonya New Member

Interesting problem...I run Camp Jitterbug and have come across this in "masters classes". I am adding a few things this year to hep prevent this situation. I have never personally asked someone to leave since it does feel REALLY mean, but in return, I have had to deal with other dancers complaining about "so and so" being in the class and bringing the level down.

So, this year I have all of the classes that are meant for intermediate and higher dancers. I have added a beginner/int track for those just starting out. And, I have added a masters track. Now, for the masters track, I am having social dancing auditions one half hour before the camp starts. There won't be any spotlights, but people will rotate and social dance with others. I am going to pick the top 50 or so dancers from this group to be in the masters track. This way, people aren't turned away during class. It is really hard as a promoter to keep their masters class truly at a masters level. Hopefully this will work out well.

6. luh

luh Active Member

i don't think it has to do anything with marketing.
    btw, - nobody here takes privates - they are way to expensive i think. (i haven't heard of privates till i was on this board btw)

but it is cool - definetly :)
    luh

7. d nice

d nice New Member

and this is why Tonya is the coolest.