Tango Argentino > Videos > KISS Tango

Discussion in 'Videos' started by bordertangoman, Mar 13, 2012.

1. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

By which I mean Keep It Simple Stupid.

I have been known to dance KISS tango, and my favourite dancer is a lovely apilado dancer.

If one is dancing KISS tango what do you think are the things that would constitute it and which are out. eg Soltadas, which I have enver done because it just feels like I'm dancing modern jive, and frankly why bother.

2. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

You gotta love definitions. KISS is the way I dance, on a certain level. On another level, the level of expression and creativity, I like to think my dance is rich. (Is there a contradiction there)?

I'm a definite apilado dancer. I do anything I can that does not break the embrace, so my dance is self-restricting. I do not think a more complicated dance, whatever that means, is a better dance.

If someone can do complicated movements with enough skill to enable and include creativity and expression, then I say go for it.

I know many students want to do what they see on stage and in competitions, but they are not willing to put in the time and effort to achieve such skills. To them I say, do something easier.

3. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Frankly, I don't know a whole lot of "true maestros." Do you?

4. bordertangoman

a true maestro needs a true maestress.

Andabien I echo your sentiments, but for me its about keeping the flow of the dance.
    and for this reason I avoid pasadas and paradas, but sometimes and with the right dancer I will add something....

5. bordertangoman

WHAT ABOUT THIS

6. AndaBien

I've never done a pasada, (if I even know what one is).

I can do a parada without breaking the embrace, but the thrill of them wore off a long time ago. I might end a dance with one, a few times a year.

7. rain_dog

rain_dog Active Member

Well, they're dancing a milonga and he's got a ponytail. So yep, simple and stupid. :cool:

8. bordertangoman

are you implying its not traditional if you have a ponytail? or just not milonga?

9. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

A pasada is a pass over or step over, which is commonly preceded by a parada (stop or pause).

10. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

love it

11. AndaBien

Now I remember. It's something followers usually do.

12. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, they do most of the work. We're just props.

[​IMG]