Knee and ankle and heel ...For the beginner

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by ben00008, Nov 4, 2016.

1. ben00008

ben00008 New Member

Hello everyone,

First of all, sorry for my bad english, but i didn't find any good french forum about dance...
    I am a real real beginner in swing ( and in dancing ), i am trying to learn charleston since once month (5h/day :) )....I really love this music, i have seen about 100 very very good vidéos to help me to learn it !...Well, but i am trying to understand something, and i don't have the good answer, and i want to learn the correct way...

For the bounce...When i dance i see two ways to do that...
    With my knee when my "feet is down" (on the ground)...
    Or with my ankle when "my heel is up" (my leg is not straight, but my knee doesn't really work for the bounce (i fell this), only the fingers are on the ground)...
    Is it correct or not ? Do i have to try to work also with the knee for the bounce in that second case (seem difficult to me but may be not impossible ;-) ).
    I don't know if i am really clear...

Also must the bounce should be regular or with accent ? ...
    1light/1heavy/&light/1heavy ?
    Or it depends ?
    Or as i like ?

Thanks very much !!!! :).

2. ben00008

ben00008 New Member

hum, no answers may be i wasn't enought clear ? ...
    Or the question was a stupid one ? ...
    Could you tell me what was in your mind in front of theses questions ?

3. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

We love to dance, and are generally a welcoming and helpful bunch, but your questions are really big and broad, which makes them hard to answer... The general answer you're likely to get in response to your first post: You can't learn to dance over the internet, no matter how much video you watch. Find a teacher or a class, and try it out.

This forum is pretty good with answering the "I don't understand this one thing my teacher said" questions, so once you do that, feel free to come back for some discussion :)

4. ben00008

ben00008 New Member

Well, thx for your answer.
    "You can't learn to dance over the internet"...Hum, i think wee disagree on that...
    For an "initiation" or "to begin with" (i don't know how to say) it's perfect...Don't forget there is a lot of very good videos made by "teachers" ;-).
    I'have always learn alone for everything ;-), asking for advice sometimes of course ...
    As an example, I have always hear "to practise an instrument or music, you need a teacher..."...Well i am teaching music so i know what i am talking about, guitar and piano, i have learned alone because i love this way of learning (sorry for my bad english), trust me i am not so bad ;-), and i think a lot of student can learn by themselves with internet if they like to practise this way, of course with a teacher it's greatest most of the time but it is not impossible the opposite way, on the contrary...
    But i think my question was not a good one, meaning that i still don't understand something, you'll have answered easily otherwise. ;-)...

Thx and good dance ;-) ! .

5. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

If you ask more experienced people for advice and then tell the people giving you advice that they're wrong, don't expect anything more from them.

6. ben00008

ben00008 New Member

Funny, that kind of sentence may me think you're right ;-) !...
    God bless the world in front of so much wisdom...

7. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

@ben00008 , Bienvenue à la DF. Bien sur you should not ask for help, and then tell the help that they are wrong. What she was saying is, Lorsque l'apprentissage d'une vidéo, vous voyez l'étape ou l'action, mais vous ne voyez pas ce que le corps a dû faire pour provoquer le mouvement. Par conséquent, vous ne peut pas vraiment apprendre de ce type d'affichage sur l'internet. (When learning from a video, you are not seeing what the body had to do to cause the movement. You only see what the dancers are doing. Therefore, you cannot truly learn from watching videos like that on the internet.)

For the swing, you are correct, it is an ankle action. The knees will flex naturally as you dance. Do not have too much attention to the knees. Of course, there are accented beats in the music which could / should correspond to the dance movements, and Charleston Swing has many possibilities.

Sunsetdancer and j_alexandra like this.