Knee pain

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Brush Tap, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Brush Tap

Brush Tap New Member

Anyone ever have knee pain that is okay when you are dancing.... but hurts like hell after you've been sitting with bent legs for a long time and stand up to walk- almost feeling like the knee is going to give out??? I assume it is something I did while dancing, but the ironic part is it only bothers me when I get up from sitting or am going down stairs!

2. Stagekat

Stagekat Member

Yes actually... went to the doc...can't figure out what it is... big solution? Ibuprofen and some stretches to strengthen the quads.

3. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

Might be serious if your knees feel like giving out. Did you only start to get this problem after starting to dance in your lifetime? Dance is a form of repetitive motion on the knees.

4. Natalka

Natalka Member

Does it hurt on the inside (between the legs) or outside of the knee?
    Is it a throbbing pain?
    Sounds like it could be a torn meniscus...
    That's the most common knee injury for dancers (or all sports enthusiasts).

5. JohnLL

JohnLL New Member

I have been having knee problems as well. I'm going to see my doctor but maybe someone here has some insights since I know my doctor probably isn't familiar with dance-specific" injuries and problems. I have been having pain in my right knee but only when I dance. Sometimes, as Brush Tap mentioned, going down stairs will set it off as well. Seems to be related to compressing into the knee and/or american style cuban motion.
    The pain is right behind the kneecap and feels to be where I would picture the bones from my upper and lower leg meeting. Once they pain starts it gets worse pretty fast and can result in me having to limp off the floor and walking funny the rest of the day/night. Once I rest it a couple days it seems okay again. Help!!!

6. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

There are so many things it can be, from miniscus problem, to ACL or other ligament strain or tear, to bone spur behind kneecap to arthritis, to loss of cartilage (I have none left in my knees). You absolutely need to see a sports medicine doctor, every major hopsital center has them now. Do you live in a big city? Please ice your knee when you get home after every practice. You also need exercises to strentghen, not only the quads, but the muscle groups on all four sides, the hamstring and inner and outside thigh muscles. They are very easy to find descriptions of, mostly leg lifts while lying on the floor in various positions, first without weights and then gradually adding a pound. Any PT you would get for your knee would start with that.

7. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

This is a classic symptom on Chondromalacia patella. It is what I suffer from in both knees.

8. rjcbear

rjcbear New Member

Ok, I have been having the same problem and I went to the doctor 2 years ago and turned out to be that I had meniscus problems and some bone spurs that was fixed and about a year ago the pain started again just like describe above I will sit down and it will hurt while trying to stand up and started to hurt while going down on the Waltz.

Finally went back to the doctor and I was told that 2 out 3 compartments in my knee are very arthritic and the meniscus is completely gone so I am bone on bone on the right knee. I have tried "cortisone shots" it lasted 3 day (Granted I was at Vol. State after the shot) now we are trying "OrthoVisc" so far is encouraging is a set of 3 injections that you get once a week and it should last between 6 months to a year, if it works I can get another set of injections in 9 months. If it doesn't is knee replacement for me.

My advice to you is go have your knee check get x-ray and if need it get and MRI.

I hope this will help

9. DanceSomatics

DanceSomatics New Member

While the pain is in the knee, you sometimes have to look for alignment problem in the joints above or below. If you are in New York, I suggest an amazing and knowledgable Pilates and Certified Movement Analyses teacher at MovementsaFoot, Leslie or Doris, they will not only help you they will see if the problem originated originally in a totally different place. Alignment, alignment, alignment.

And for the sake of health of the knees in general, the word like compressing the knees is terrible. Knees do not compress,, they roll, spin, slide anything but that compression word. It is just a terrible image.

10. rainerng

rainerng Member

Like a previous poster, I agree it sounds like chondromalacia p. I have it in my right knee and I just have arthrscopic surgery last month. I felt sharp pain behind my knee cap when i was on a bent knee and also going down stairs. I don't know if I will be able to dance competitively again so it freaking sucks. My suggestion would be to go see a good orthropedic surgeon or a medical sports clinic. GPs are more or less useless when it comes to this. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Here is a link to my experience with this knee problem.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=38074.msg307378#msg307378

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

for me this definitely applies, DS. since starting dance i've had to be so careful with my knees. i had all the symptoms of patellofemoral syndrome, but felt that there simply had to be some lacking combination of alignment & strength, which, if i could only figure out and remedy, would radically improve my knees.

turns out... i was right. it just wasn't easy sorting it out. but the outcome is, my knees no longer hurt going up or down stairs, they aren't inflamed, they rarely crunch as they did before, i can go much, much deeper in my standard dancing... actually, i am enjoying doing lunges of all sorts these days, for the first time in many years.

i feel reborn with functional knees. i wish there were more accessible information out there on how to remediate this problem. not that what worked for me will work for everyone else, but man... that info's obscure. or so it seems to me.

12. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Big dittos here. I thought my dancing days were numbered, or at the very least severely restricted. My knees only occasionally bother me now.

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i hear ya. i wondered if i'd ever be able to dance thru my knees... it was so frustrating.

14. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I have a knee problem also, a stretched ACL. I need to make sure that the muscles around the knee are strong enough to keep everything in alignment. The thing that helped the most? Cycling. After the muscles strengthened, I have been able to maintain with dancing.

15. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

Cortisone worked very well for me, but now I have had too many. I also do the synvist injections, have had 2 rounds already. According to my doctor, they "buy time, postpone the inevitable.

16. reb

reb Active Member

My experience is that when in physical activity, certain types of pain is masked or goes away temporarily - whether its adrenalin or something like that.

When I've brought it up to the doctor that I can get rid of the pain by doing . . . I get this look like - of course, dummy!

17. Brush Tap

Brush Tap New Member

Larinda, what do you do for it?