Salsa > "La Negra Tiene Tumbao": How to dance to this?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by mellody43, Apr 21, 2004.

1. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

This is such a great song ... I haven't heard it played at a club yet. I would wager that DJ's think people won't know how to dance to it.

Not a true salsa rhythm; a bit slow for merengue (though it's definitely do-able).

What do you think?

Melissa
    :D

2. Pacion

Pacion New Member

How to dance to it? With a big grin; like the cat that got the cream; with Sabor* :wink: ; Anything else you would like to know? :lol:

For a pattern dancer, I think this song would be difficult :oops: but for anyone else who listens to the music, they will be fine. When I dance it, I use even more hip action, if that is feasible :lol: and shoulder action/isolations. For me, it is a very playful salsa song. I can hear right now :banana:

* or any other DF member for that matter. As long as my partner is playful, he could have eight left feet :shock: :lol:

3. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

I know, I can hear it too! I first heard it in a Cuban restaurant that had music blaring and I grabbed my server to ask what the song was -- then immediately went and bought the CD!

Are there more songs like this that you know of? similar style?

Melissa

4. tj

tj New Member

This is a Celia Cruz song, right? Not sure if I know which one though... do you have a link to it somewhere?

5. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Our local DJ played it quite a bit, but not so much this year.

Personally, I've had so much fun dancing Zouk to it :wink: !

Depending on the leader, either salsa, merengue, or reggae (!) would all work.

I must say sometimes I sit this one out when there isn't a suitable lead around. It's not one of the 'safer' songs to take a chance with just anyone :oops: !

6. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Hi tj. Yes, it is a Celia Cruz song :banana: and I think there is a snippet of it on Amazon.com (in the CD section :wink: )

If you go to her website celiacruzonline.com it is also the song just after the intro pages :D

7. tj

tj New Member

Ok, I'll turn off Batanga and go check it out... thanks!

(checks it out...)

I'm back, it's the same song that they play in one of those soft drink commercials (Dr. Pepper, I think?)

I see what you mean by it's in between and could be interpreted different ways. I think I'd prefer to merengue to it. Doesn't really move me to salsa to it.

But it's a great song. I think I've got it somewhere on CD.

8. pelao

pelao New Member

This song is danced kinda like reggeton. Basically, no fancy footwork or anything. This ones all in the body winding up.

9. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

The body winding up? Hm. I sort of imagined it as a bit of a bootyshaker type dance. LOL! I don't know how people dance to reggeton, though I like the general style of reggeton music.

10. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I bought the CD when it first came out and it's GREAT as is ALL of Celia's work! I have my DJs play it at our salsa parties and it's best danced to with a lot of (as Mellody43 said) bootyshakin'!

I first learned how to shake booty the latin way to Celia's "La Vida es un Carnaval" , from the album "Mi Vida es cantar" and "La Bomba"(not to be confused with Richie Valen's La Bamba). The latter is a great party dance as it's one of those "follow the leader"(or follow the music) specialty songs! :D

11. pelao

pelao New Member

almost the same as you would do dancehall (reggae). just move that body and booty yo! hah. Actually, theres a video to this song. This song has what we call 'doble sentido' (found in a lot of latin music). Like, two meanings i guess. Like, its saying one thing, but its implying something else at the same time. Kinda ironic, but not exactly. For someone to have 'tumbao', that can mean many things.

Anyways, just get out there and shake it!! :twisted:

@cocodrilo:

yea, this is a great party song. the thing is, at most latin family parties (clubs too), songs like this where you shake your body and booty and all, are danced all together with friends and family. The whole point, is just to get out there, and wild out and have a good time.

12. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Any further/new thoughts on how to dance this song? :D

13. squirrel

squirrel New Member

I dance salsa to it... even if it's a little too slow... but I throw in a lot of hip movements... :)

14. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I'd sit down if it goes on :!: :shock: :twisted: That is if it ever does, none of the places I salsa in has ever played it.

15. salsalawyer

salsalawyer New Member

great song!!

You can dance almost any dance to it! This is what makes it so much fun to dance to!!

16. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Memo to self: This is how to keep Borkien away from mischief :lol:

17. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Since I started this thread LOOOOONG ago, I've danced to this song twice -- once, my partner led it as a merengue (slow and twisty) -- the second, as a flirty salsa. So it seems to work either way.

18. Vin

Vin New Member

In agreement with you there. Except the places I go do sometimes play this.