Salsa > Ladies: skirts or trousers?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Rosa, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

:D :shock: I think better. It even got my attention...

2. Rosa

Rosa New Member

I like the idea of the dance trunks, too.

If you can get them in flesh-colour then you can keep your modesty yet let yourself go with the twirls and whirls and still look good. 8) :D

Rosa :)

3. africana

africana New Member

I wear aerobics trunks under my short short flaring skirts and get no complaints, it's just dancing. there's action action action, who has time to notice whether my undies look sexy or not

Now I agree with Lucretia, thongs is just plain ridiculous, impractical and gross when i think about it ewwww!

4. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

FOr dancing it's impracticel... but for every day, there is nothing more comfortable... and not to mention panty lines...

5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Some, er, interesting discussion on this thread... :oops:

As one of the requested gents, let me throw this much in:

For classes or lessons, wear whatever is comfortable. Honestly, after the first few minutes, I'm not going to be paying attention to what anyone is wearing. I'm too busy trying to learn stuff. For socials and nights out, well, most women know what looks good on them. A skirt that spins well is nice, but a shapely pair of trousers is great too. Us guys are just happy you're there. :wink:

There are only two caveats that I can throw in:

1. Try to avoid skirts that fit tightly around the legs. It makes it hard for the guy to step in. And if it's short, and you do a tango, and the guy leads a corte, you could get a rude surprise.

2. Loosely worn sweaters can make it difficult to get back in frame after any kind of break or apart move. I once had the experience of dancing with a woman who had an unbuttoned sweater on over her blouse; when I led her in a spin, the tail of the sweater flew up, and then when I tried to get back in frame, my right hand went under the sweater and we got all tangled up. It took us a couple of minutes to get separated, while "helpful" bystanders made comments along the lines of what a clumsy job I was doing of trying to feel her up. :D

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

You mean to say you didn't?!! :p :)

Speaking of blunders. I have touched those "oops" body parts so often in the past by mistake!! One deliberate signature move is when I back break and bring the ladies hand behind her back it touches...you know what..I actually have said this tale before. It acme out from me not knowing any better as a beginner and when I started doing it correctly the people whom I usually danced with would play with me and put my hand there...so now I do it sometimes for fun and to play around. Never had a problem.

Add that to above the kisses to the cheek that I give the ladies...doing "besito"...

7. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

ha :D that would suit me too.

I remember this summer when a shoulderstrap broke. I did wear a bra - but it was the same color as my flesh. So noone noticed the bra - only the broken sholderstrap. :oops: :shock: Of course I was at the dancefloor in the middle of a spin when it happened....

A very exciting night - but not for me :cry: I had to go home. No safetypins anywhere.

I guess flesh-colour dance trunks would have the same effect as my bra :shock: :lol:

/luc

8. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Ah, a crotch move....A girlfriend of mine commented how a number of men in our swing scene had their own signature moves where in the ladies hand came close or grazed. None of it was intentional, it was just habits they had picked up to execute moves. So it became a big quest to see how many moves the men had. This was all in a small group of friends where we were able to goof off and come up with new naughty moves such as finding new ways of doing "speed bumps" (hand slides over followers chest as she spins..) seeing as it was 3am things went down hill very quickly...but not anything we would have done with other dancers, it just happened we were a close knit rowdy group and were all comfortable with one another.

9. Sagitta

Nope. A "bums" move. :wink:

10. Rosa

Rosa New Member

I've heard of the bum's rush, but this is ridiculous! :raisebro: :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. Sagitta

How about tush then? :wink:

12. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

A bum's tush? :shock: I'm so confused. :lol: :lol:

13. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Yes I think I would prefer dance trunks to be in the same colour as the skirt rather than the flesh...

As to the question of skirt vs. trousers, to me that depends on the venue. If it's a dancers-only place (monthly socials in a hired function room or congresses/weekenders), I like skirts. If it's a club where there are lots of drinking non-dancers watching the action (i.e., meat market), I wear trousers. For classes I usually wear trousers/jeans with a close-fitting t-shirt.

14. Rosa

Rosa New Member

So am I! :? But in a good way... 8) :D :D

15. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Me too, I think. The ones I've seen come in quite a few colors. The shade may be a bit off in some cases, but it's probably close enough. 8)

16. diputs

diputs New Member

I have spent about 5 or 6 years in the professional ballet world. Not as a dancer, but as a tech. The only thing that anyone, men and women, wore while dancing was thongs. So I do not understand how you can say thongs are impracticle for dancing.

As a self proclaimed "knat man" I prefer women in pants(trousers, slacks).

As for dancing, I could care less what you are wearing as long as you do not make fun of me for not having a clue as to what I am doing.

17. alemana

alemana New Member

if i were wearing tights, like a ballet dancer, or a tight costume, i'd wear a thong too. but not for social dancing if exposure was an issue.

18. diputs

diputs New Member

I thought the comment was about comfort, not exposure.

I still vote for wearing pants. (slacks, trousers, or whatever you want to call them)

19. alemana

alemana New Member

the comments in the thread may be about comfort, but that doesn't mean that the dancers in YOUR argument wear them primarily for comfort - i was guessing that clothing differences in ballet had something to do with the preference for the thong.

20. Kindra

Kindra New Member

TOO FUNNY! I have co-workers wondering why I'm laughing! Great Post!