Salsa > Ladies, what do you look for in guys when you dance?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by genEus, May 22, 2006.

1. genEus

genEus New Member

Timing, musicality, turn patterns, body motion, smile, ... ?

What things are important to you in a leader?

2. africana

africana New Member

can I say "all of the above"?

3. BugBear

BugBear New Member

Well you obviosly can, but it takes the whole fun out of the thread :)

4. genEus

genEus New Member

Well, OBVIOUSLY. But, some things have to be more important. Like, you'd probably prefer someone who's on-time rather than who has great body movement but doesn't jive with the music at all...

5. africana

africana New Member

well if you're looking for *minimum* expectations then sure, talk about basic qualities - timing is basic. All dancers should require that

But in a roomful of say 50-100 men, I might pick out less than 10% (usually 4 or 5) who fulfill my personal minimum requirements, and depending on the style of salsa played, I might not care that much about dancing with everyone who has good timing lol at least I won't go after them if I don't *need* to

so the answer to that question depends on the follower's level, experience and current dancing conditions...cos once you experience the best it's hard to go back

6. amo_dile_que_no

amo_dile_que_no New Member

I saw the video clip you posted a couple of weeks ago (I think it was you) and your obviously an excellent dancer. But when I read something like this, it makes it even more difficult to ask someone I don't know well to dance.

7. africana

africana New Member

well that's neither here nor there, that someone feels intimidated to ask is beside the point of what do I prefer or look for in a lead...
    I expressed my desire for more leaders that provide that ultimate "mountain top" dancing experience, nothing more, I won't feel guilty about it, everyone has their preference.

that said, my personal practice is to dance with anyone who asks. But it doesn't mean I sit around waiting for anyone to ask me. And it doesn't mean I don't get any measure of enjoyment from the non-"mountain top" dances, because I do (even more so when the song is good!)

8. amo_dile_que_no

amo_dile_que_no New Member

mea culpa

I didn't mean to imply any criticism of you. My apologies.

9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Self confidence.

(Didn't have time to read the whole thread, so I may be (probably am) totally off base. :lol: )

10. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

The dances I enjoy most are with men who listen to the music and try to connect with me. Too many patterns can be exhausting. Of course timing is important. Body motion is not that important. I don't care if he smiles or laughs or don't look at me at long as there's a connection and he's NOT CHECKING OUT other girls or watching another couple dance. This I hate.

I must admit (with the more advanced dancers), I love finding myself caught by surprise in an effortless dip or drop :p .

11. africana

africana New Member

hey i think it's ok if you do, just as long as it's based on real data ;)

12. BugBear

BugBear New Member

You may be, but I too think that self confidence is important. And not only when it comes to dancing.

13. sweavo

sweavo New Member

Yep, a confident guy who pretends to give a crap about the women in his life can do a lot better than a guy who wants to do right by them but isn't sure how. It's the answer to "why do all the women go for the bastards?" :)

14. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Usually...the ability to stand in an upright position and evidence of breathing. ;)

15. sweavo

sweavo New Member

gosh darnit!, fell at the first hurdle...

16. jenn

jenn New Member

*compatibility
    *he's not completely self-absorbed and concerned with how he looks. he cares how we look together
    *smooth, clean moves-no overstlying
    *knows when to break off for shines and knows how long is enough
    *strong enough lead but not rough ...grrrr!
    *makes eye contact
    *smiles

17. Lady

Lady New Member

Perfect Lead

1. Fun to dance with, smiles and is into the music
    2. Good lead, I can follow
    3. Lets me do shines
    4. Body movement, not stiff like a board
    5. Orginal/different moves
    6. Nice cologne/breath

18. Josh

Josh Active Member

:rocker:

Welcome to DF Lady!! :D

19. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I might could manage that! :D

20. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

Communicative lead, doesn't lead late

smiles a lot, on and OFF the dance floor (he was smiling a minute ago... why is there no smile now? did I stink? was he just being polite?) ... this is about being genuine

doesn't over-spin you

smells GOOD (i now have a new acquaintance who realllly smells bad, sigh.)

talks to you off the floor for awhile, greets you/nods when you come in

reads your skill level and adjusts accordingly

playful and knows how to laugh (esp at mistakes)