Salsa > Ladies, what do you look for in guys when you dance?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by genEus, May 22, 2006.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

great post...welcome to DF

2. elisedance

elisedance New Member

What an adorable idea. I've never had that happen - and I would join you as a puddle on the floor :)

PS and I wouldn't care if he was somalian or dutch ... :roll:]

3. EvaDarling

EvaDarling New Member

I have a regular partner who is Latin and well, he sings to me and he is my favorite partner in the entire world and he knows it! I live for the weekends when I dance with him. I recently had a Korean guy sing to me (I'm in Korea now) and I excitedly asked him "You can speak Spanish?!"...he said no but he just knows some of the words to the songs. It's the most romantic feeling though to have a man sing to you as you dance.:rolleyes: I think I'll start doing the same thing to romance my partners.;)

4. EvaDarling

EvaDarling New Member

Were you addressing me? If so, thank you!

5. elisedance

elisedance New Member

[I believe she was - and I'd like to second that :)]

6. Stillharbor

Stillharbor New Member

Adequate leader=social, fun time
    1. Has a passable lead
    2. Some idea of timing
    3. Willing to at least pretend to enjoy himself while dancing. (Otherwise, why are you there.)

Perfect leader
    1. A bold lead without knocking me around the floor or into people.
    2. Great timing.
    3. Willing to play up the emotion of the music.
    4. Willing to play it up with me.

7. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

A little late here, but to comment on timing...
    I'm finding my understanding of timing changing the more I learn about dance. So those that include timing on the wish list might want to modify to the leader understanding and adjusting to your sense of the timing.

8. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

Yes I expect the lead to be on-time... As for musicality, since I'm still developing it (rather.. developing the ability to express it when I dance socially) I get a tad intimidated/lost when a guy is very musically expressive... I am usually just trying to keep up lately.. I love a partner who smiles and enjoys the dance even if I'm not his best partner of the night. Hehe. Some guys are easy to follow and can "read" you well so they know where your comfort level is so they never overwhelm you.

9. urish

urish New Member

It reminds me that sometimes when I dance I change my footsteps to match the bassline (so there are only 4 slower steps in each 8-count, instead of the usual 6-steps). A good example would be Valio La Pena from Marc Anthony, it has a pretty intense bass-line in some parts.

Since most of the followers are not used to anything but the usual dance step, I just keep my leading as usual. So they are doing their step 1,2,3 - 5,6,7 while I do my step on the bassline ( 2.5,4 - 6.5,8 ). Amazingly enough, they never get confused - as long as the leading goes along with their timing it works like charm!