General Dance Discussion > Ladies, would you wear these dresses to Prom?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by dTas, Jan 26, 2005.

1. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

You mean no grinding?!?!?! :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2. ReneeJoan

ReneeJoan New Member

Twilight Elena, I adore you. Can I adopt you?

Renee

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

You can adopt me! :wink: :)

4. labelledanseuse

labelledanseuse New Member

I'm a sophomore so I have another year til prom... but I would NEVER wear a dress like that to a school dance! I think it's trashy for something like prom. (But I agree with those who said it's cute for a salsa costume 8) :wink: ) I wonder if girls would be allowed to go to prom with one of those dresses? I read an article about a girl who wasn't allowed to go to her senior prom b/c of her dress.
    Also, my mom wouldn't let me step out of the house wearing that. My dad would kill me. But they don't have anything to worry about. :)

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Ah yes! The voice of reason. 8)

Yes. After this news story, you'll probably have every high school in America rushing out to write up a dress code for the prom, just to avoid trouble. Probably not a bad idea. 8) Is that what you had in mind, RandomMysh?

6. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

When I was in high school, we had a "coketail" party in the gym before we went to the ballroom for our dance. The nuns were at the door to the gym giving the girls' dress the once-over. If you didn't pass the eye test from those nuns, you didn't get in. Our formals had to have either really wide straps, preferrably cap sleeves, nothing clingy and no black.

A dress code is really hard to define, but somewhere there has to be the line of what is decent and what isn't.

7. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Sounds like they wanted you to dress like them, except they can wear black. ;)

8. pygmalion

How about starting with "no bare midriffs?" :roll:

9. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

One of the chairs from another department at the University wanted to know if our department had a "belly button" policy. Seems they had hired a student worker who did like to show off her midriff. And even though we don't expect our student workers to dress professionally, he thought the tummy showing was a little more than he could take!
    Fortunately all the students I have hired have had enough sense to know what was appropriate.

10. pygmalion

LOL! I bet she had a belly button ring, too. :lol: :lol: Some folks just have no sense ... of propriety. :wink: :lol:

11. Laura

Laura New Member

Uhh, is that what I think it is or did you mean "cocktail?" 'Cause a "coketail" party is something else entirely.... :)

12. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

I am talking about the dawn of civilization when "coketail" meant Coca Cola! :shock: :shock:

13. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

No...I had in mind using common sense when buying your prom dress...I think it should be up to the girls and their parents, not the principals, because once they start making rules, where do they stop?
    Again, it's not the skimpiness of the design that I have a problem with, it's the fact that this dress is not appropriate for a) a dance and b) a dance with teenage boys. They might not touch, but they'll stare and talk and make assumptions.

14. pygmalion

:lol: :lol: Dawn of civilization?

15. pygmalion

Oh. Maybe I mixed you up with someone else, who did suggest schools having rules. Sorry. It's a long thread. I should've known better than to rely on my memory. :oops:

As much as I don't like dress codes, in this instance, there might be worse ways of handling things. Using common sense is great, in theory, but I don't know if there's any one common way of seeing what's acceptable versus what isn't.

Take a look at this thread and this one dress design, for example. People here are all over the place in their opinions. Some think it looks trashy, some attractive, and some everywhere in between. So what happens when a girl who is at one end of the spectrum of thought goes to a school dance with chaperones at the other? She spends $400 on a gown, and gets sent home in disgrace, with her prom ruined. Wouldn't it just be easier for some parents, kids and school officials to get together now, come up with a set of rules, and publish them before the prom gown season gets into full swing? :?

16. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

Pygmalion--

Don't worry about it. I confuse people all the time, so it's just some sort of karma coming back my way. :)

I see your point about rules. The problem I see with those is interpretation. And rebelliousness. And yeah, picking the battles. I think chaperones should make sure everything is legal and no one gets hurt. What the kids look like while keeping everything legal is their business. And legal means "no indecent exposure as defined by federal law", in this case. By those standards, this dress is perfectly ok. Until someone steps on the hem, that is. Well...that's what trying it on is for, right? :?
    So I still believe it should be up to the kids and the parents.

17. pascal

pascal Active Member

Oh, I see. From the posts about inappropiate dressing I thought it was the annual pilgrimage to Rome which is done by nuns, and which is their only occasion to leave for a while the convent where they're usually cloistered...

18. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

19. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Ditto the above!

20. pygmalion

I love it!! DF always gives me something to laugh about. :lol: :lol: