Last night I....

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by elisedance, Oct 11, 2008.

1. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I'm not sure if this will take off but I realized there was no thread in which one could share and compare what we are doing in the evenings - the full range from competing through making easter eggs :) Since we don't always make the best use of our time I dare say it may be as informative to the writer as the reader. I searched DF for anything similar but did not find one (if there is please let me know). Tis a good time to start because I had a wonderful, if not particularlly dramatic evening.

Went dancing with P to the Westway club (East Toronto). Its a great place for both social and competitor mostly because of its size and the quality of the floor. If you go earl, as we always do, they play standard for the first hour (7-8) and there is generally 2 or three couples on the floor so you can go full out in a competition routine. Later it fills up and often there is a hosted studio - sometimes with 50 or more members that come so that the floor can be quite full. By 10 pm or so it starts to empty and one can again use the floor. In an evening you can do open routines for about 2 hours in total and the rest of the time social dancing is fine and you can always work on floorcraft and styling - not a bad practice session even for competitors.

The music is terrific - all strict timing and alternating between 3 standard and three latin with the occasional 3 line dances thrown in. There is complimentary coffee, a variety of teas and even hot chocolatet and at 9.30 pm they serve dinner (for real), all included for your 16$ entry fee. Last night was sausages (very tasty) with saurcraut and green salad...

A few pros turn up and last night Ed was there - I guess he's in his 70s but very sharp and still cuts the mustard with his wife. Ed has taken a liking to us and often gives us tips - aparently I am dragging my heel in too fast during heel turns - I'm sure he is right.

2. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Grabbed some take-out Chinese for self and son and then headed over to studio for group hustle class followed by social / practice. I was late to hustle and walked in with another guy. We were greeted with applause b/c there was a major lack of men for the group class. Nice to be wanted!

Danced some FTs with NP in prep for showcase and pulled my back. I think I'm pulling her more than leading her. Not good and I don't know if it's me or her or both. Have to work on that.

Shuttle buddy P. made it for part of the social so I tried to dance mainly with her while she was there since it was her first visit to the studio.

Stopped by another studio for a little while after our social for theirs.

Came home and did a little light housecleaning.

3. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Not a lot. Been too tired to do much dancing this week. Watched the Sox/Rays game. Did a bunch of work with one of my synths.

4. Me

Me New Member

I finished a jewelry order and then practiced solo for an exhibition coming up soon.

Kinda' boring and lonely night. I thought Fridays were supposed to be party nights!

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I saw one couple in my counseling gig then I went over to BFF's and had wine and talked until dance party time...hit taco bell on the way home...and then the pillows

6. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

heavens, how can you sleep after eating Taco Bell?

7. fascination

well lessee..yesterday I taught an hour of cardiokick and danced for 3 hours then ate a big meal washed down with alot of wine...

8. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

went to massage then checked my makeup inventory for Sunday's comp

9. QPO

QPO New Member

Yesterday was a full day, went to the hairdressers for the 6 weekly colour upgrade and trim, then went to my mothers to do her hair as it was her birthday, came home and did some washing and cleaning for before getting the dinner ready and then went out dancing. It was a good night, bit warm but danced from 7.00 -11.00, met up with Lioness, I wish her well with her dancing ambtions :)

10. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

curled up under a blanket to watch a bit of television...nice.

11. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Thanks QPO, Likewise.

Last night I actually cooked something, and it didn't kill everyone in the house. Then I danced from probably about 7.30pm to midnight, came home, and slept until 1pm. :D
    My partner and I were both worn out by the end of the night and only stayed dancing on energy from sugary foods and drink.

12. SwingWaltz

SwingWaltz New Member

I studied last night, after drinking 4 stubbies of beer. That certainly made study more enjoyable...productivity? Let's not go there. At least I enjoyed the studying part. :rolleyes:

13. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

you are very diligent student:)

14. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Last night I fed 4 stray cats that I'm hoping to rescue, attended a friends birthday party, and watched a rerun of House Hunters International on HGTV.

15. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Finally managed to fix an outlet in the bathroom - the clue was there was no current in the wiring (bought a new-fangled probe that lights up when you are near a hot wire - not touching it, just near).

Went out to dinner w friend to a pub up the street - used to be so packed there you could not get in on a saturday, now its rather quiet (but nicer). Wonder what happened - specially as a lovely dinner for two was less than $50 including wine...

16. pinkstuff

pinkstuff Member

Went out for food - enjoyed a really tasty steak with some nice red wine.

17. fascination

after sealing half of the driveway, went out to another dance party and then to applebees with of agroup of the folks from the dance

18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

worked on blogs, uploaded some youtube vids, then watched some Friends. nice to skip dancing this weekend and just enjoy some alone time.

19. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

Surfing net (youtube in particular)/watching TV/bits of reading. Not much to write home about. Tend to just wind down at the weekends.

20. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Came home from football game and grabbed a couple steakburgers from Steak and Shake for son and self. Went over to NP's and practiced a little FT. Now my lower back is really spasming. Might have to skip group classes tonight aside from watching formation.