Dancers Anonymous > Last night I....

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by elisedance, Oct 11, 2008.

1. ThisIsNotMe

ThisIsNotMe New Member

That's great that it all went on then, sounds like there was a bit of drama though!
    Going on...I learned that the hard way. When I did a lot of performing on the piano (haven't done much of that for about a year), I used to make so many horrible (I thought) mistakes. And while I didn't stop, I'd usually make some sort of a face, or grimace or something, and that was usually what gave away the mistakes, not the mistakes themselves.

2. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Same goes for dancing of course - maybe more so. If you just carry on you can pretend that it was intentional and everyone will miss it unless they were looking directly at you. If however, you stop, stamp your foot, yell a thousand curses and protest angrily at your partner there is usually a quite different outcome :)

It was only my second recital since taking the instrument up again after 40 years hiatus. So, I'm still a bit performance rusty! I think ballroom competition helped me quite a bit to settle the nerves though - unlike public speaking when I did my first ballroom comp - twas next to useless.

Lessee, last night I spent on DF!

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Aw...that's very sweet.

My father sang at my wedding...was very moving and beautiful.

Your son's wedding sounds like it was spectacular. What a lovely setting.

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Mostly nursed headache in bed last night, but at one point threw on pashmina and went for long thoughtful & meditative walk through town. It was so beautiful...no one was out, the town is all decorated for Halloween festivities (tonight is the first night for this year's Haunted Mill). The moon was still shining nearly full and the stars were out. Stood on the bridge crossing the falls for a long time...looked in the quaint shop windows...enjoyed the cool breeze & fresh air. Quietly thanked the town for a good run while living here...

5. elisedance

elisedance New Member

The nicest thing was that there were no contractors of any kind. Everything was done by family - from arranging the flowers in the church to cooking for 80 people (an awesome feat pulled of by daughter-in-law). My contribution just fit perfectly into that. Even the accompanist was an old friend of the family. Of course that all required several days of collaboration and months of planning. This gave it a real 'village' feell, quite different from the more contracted events I'm more used to (although they can obviously be just as special).

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Oh...how memorable! My kinda wedding... Say, was it in French?

7. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Well, my and my ex's families are from england and the daughter in law's are from the US west coast - you actually didn't hear a word of french, twas as if brigadoon had risen in this little village :)

8. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

dont you know pashminas are an endangered species. I mean when did you last see one in the wild. (same goes for Doner Kebabs) ;)

9. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

went to bed around 1:00 AM again, couldn't fall a sleep till 2. than my alarm woke me up at 5:00 AM because my BF needed to be at the airport at 6:00 AM.

No sleeping at all. :-?

10. Beto

Beto Active Member

Went to a happy hour hosted by one of the local Meetup.com groups here in DC. Got there on the late side and saw some friends I hadn't seen in a few weeks. Then left that a bit early (as it was loud and I'm still in my "I'm not here to dance" phase) and joined 2 friends in Dupont Circle at a sushi place. Ate some great food there and had some good conversations about the planning for an upcoming birthday celebration next week.

On the downside, I managed to lose my work BlackBerry and security key/badge on the Metro rail system on my way home. That sucked but sometimes ---- happens and you just deal with it. Have a replacement key and badge already and have sent off my check to my employer to cover the cost of my new unit which I'm setting up now. Sure, it may turn up in the Lost & Found for Metro, where I've reported it, but at the same time I'm prepared for the possibility that it won't.

11. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Actually, the species has been saved from extinction - you can now buy pashminas made of polyester (true, if absurd).

Ah, genetic engineering to the rescue...

12. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

I'm pretty sure there was kebab living under my patio. At least I saw what I assumed was a kebab tunnel.

13. elisedance

elisedance New Member

:uplaugh:

I bet it wears a polyester pashmina...

Last night I started learning about the endangered pashmina....

14. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Yeah, but what about the endangered polyesters? :nope:

15. elisedance

elisedance New Member

And just what were THEY doing last night, eh? Sniffing perfume*??
    [*insider joke..]

16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

last night...hmmm ...that would be various latin drills and routines...and um...trying to nurse poor sick dh back to health so that he is well enough to fly off to somewhere else again....and picking up dtr from marching band

17. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Not THAT much of an inside joke, Esther.

18. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

:uplaugh:

my bf went to NY this morning. finally weekend for me,myself and I. :p

19. pinkstuff

pinkstuff Member

Sounds like a good weekend! :cool:

Went to a work do, ate too much seafood (delicious) & spent most of today recovering.

20. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

It will be great. It is cold in NY, and here is so sunny that most of the weekend I'm going to spend near a pool. :p