Tango Argentino > Videos > Leaders, would this be useful as an exercise?

Discussion in 'Videos' started by NZ_Guy, Dec 7, 2013.

1. NZ_Guy

NZ_Guy Member

My thought is that it might, perhaps, be useful for developing awareness of where you want your followers feet to go.

2. Lui

Lui Active Member

Nordic Tangoing! :D

3. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

This technique was born out of necessity. But, when the current trend keeps going on, soon our ladies will have to learn this way.

4. Lui

Lui Active Member

Inga Savitskaya is steps ahead to this solution:

5. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

Although I had other instructors before meeting them Anton Gazenbeek & Sergio Segura were my 1st Tango Teachers. Anton did recommend this as an exercise. It was one which he honed because when he went to Argentina to study tango he was not allowed to do anything but walk for about a year. I never personally used the method, but I was struck by the comment of a student who danced with him, she said " it was being led by a ghost" meaning she felt no force or pressure. They were also advocates of men learning a lead by 1st learning to follow it.

NZ_Guy likes this.
  6. Lui

Lui Active Member

Have you ever really tried to dance or train with sticks? I did, but I got the idea for training women embellishments along the men’s leg. Men seemed to be bored pretty soon when not challenged. Therefore, I aimed at keeping them occupied with a separate exercise and give the ladies a broomstick as replacement. This idea never made it into any real lesson.

First, on a hardwood floor a broomstick’s end is extremely slippery. In contrast to a human leg it will glide to the side once there is the slightest force sideways. This might be remedied by fixing a shoe to its end. But now you got a bulky load of sticks with shoes on them, which handle like some awkward giant pendulum.

Second, it is very tempting to cheat. The stick will land wherever you guiding hand points it. A little flick with the wrists and its position is corrected by a couple of inches. When things get really wrong, you can simply drag it along with you.

Concluding, I found very little resemblance between human dance partners and sticks. Thus, I kept on looking for more effective teaching methods.

Nevertheless, I assume there is still plenty of unused potential for shows in those sticks.

NZ_Guy likes this.