General Dance Discussion > Learn to dance for prom night!

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by jungsarang, Apr 4, 2006.

1. jungsarang

jungsarang New Member

I was actually browsing through google, looking for advice on how to dance for my prom night. I came across this forum and I thought you guys could help me.

Last Saturday, I actually went to my Junior Prom and danced there. It was my first dance and I think I embarrassed myself. I'm totally uncomfortable and I can't do anything except for swaying from side to side. My issue with dancing is that I'm self-conscious and I can't be myself on the dance floor.

The problem is, someone asked me to Senior Ball and it's coming up on May 13. Can someone help me learn how to dance?

Thank you. =]

PS. Oh, I'm a girl if that makes any difference. Hahahah.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

welcom to DF jungsarang...we have tons and tons of threads on this in our archives....and I am sure someone will be lonsg shortly to either answer you or show you how to get there...unfortunately I am not able to do either at the present...but stay tuned and welcome welcome welcome....

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Oh, jungsarang! :D Welcome to the forums. Didn't you know that swaying from side to side is a time-honored prom tradition? People do it now. Been doing it for decades. Side-to-side sway is a perfectly acceptable way to dance at a prom. :cool:

I suspect you didn't embarrass yourself; you embarrassed yourself. Meaning you didn't make yourself look bad to others, but you looked bad to yourself. Look around you. For the most part, nobody else knows how to dance, either. Granted, there are some who can dance. But there are a whole lot of folks (the majority, IMO) who make it to adulthood not knowing how to do diddly on a dance floor ... and they all danced at their proms somehow. :wink:

About being self-conscious? My recommendation is that you dance as much as you can between now and May. Dance in the grocery store ... at the gas station ... in your bedroom .. on the train on the way to school ... dance everywhere. The more you dance, the less self-conscious you'll be. And, once that happens, side-to-side swaying won't seem so lame, because you'll really be dancing to the music without worrying about people watching you... which, for the most part, they aren't, anyway. They're worried about embarrassing themselves. :wink:

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Just relax and let the guy move you. ;-)

5. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Just relax and have fun with it. Dancing is really all about the joy of movement and enjoying your own body!

If you're really stuck and truly want to learn to dance, I would recommend picking up a class or two through your local dance studio, YMCA, park and recreational department, etc. In my opinion, structured dance forms that cross over nicely into street or club dancing areas are bellydance, hip hop, and jazz.

All the best! And remember, just enjoy yourself!