Swing Discussion Boards > Learning Lindy

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by danceguy, Oct 16, 2003.

1. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Greetings,

I have a question for everyone about Lindy Hop. I started taking lessons a few weeks back and was going to drop the class, but today I decided to go back and now I'm determined to learn it. I'm still a beginner with Swing and dance in general, so my apologies in advance if I mis-label something. :wink:

I've been working on learning the Swing Out...and my main question is in regards to getting dizzy. I think part of it in my case is that I have some muscular problems in my head and neck...so these areas are pretty sensitive to spinning in general. As I'm very new to this dance style I'm really working on trying to feel the music and the motion..so my poor attempts at spotting are going out the window most of the time.

Towards the end of class today I noticed that during the triple steps I would end up only doing two...(I think its my other dance training)...so I finally became aware that I was trying to over compensate for missing a step and then moving too fast...then I'd lose my timing. After one of the teachers gave me some corrections...I started to feel the flow with my partner and it felt really groovy...but my head was still spinning. :oops:

I really do enjoy this dance...but man does it make me dizzy! Any tips of advice on how I could correct this would be greatly appreciated! :)

Many thanks,

Scorpionguy

2. suek

suek New Member

Scorpionguy, relax. This phase passes. For me it took about six months. Six months of wondering if I would ever be able to do a swingout without reeling. And now no problem, even bunches in a row.

Now I often feel relieved when dancing swingouts...they're the home base of the lindy hop (forgive the baseball analogy...GO YANKS! what a ball game, what a series) and compared to some of the other wild steps you'll be doing, the swingout will eventually feel really comfortable, as well as being something that you can work on for probably ever...refining and fine tuning its many elements.

Best,

Sue

3. Black Sheep

Black Sheep New Member

Savoy Lindy Info!

Scorpionguy,
    Check the "Magic Pill' Thread in this forum; The Lindy Basics are followed up with tips, techniques and leads and follow info. And it's all the Authentic Savoy Lindy Hop Material.
    Black Sheep 'Always a Money Back Guarantee!'

4. Guest

Guest Guest

You're on the right path already ;) Keep working on feeling the music and your partner, and not getting ahead of the music. Sit behind the beat, check your own balance, and feel where your partner is.

Use that to work with your partner in the Swing Out, a typical easy thing to do (at any level) is to have both partners running in circles while holding hands, which sometimes can be dizzying.

It sounds like you're having fun, and you've got the right focus: both the music and yourmotion with your partner. Keep it up!

-FF

5. d nice

d nice New Member

Re: Savoy Lindy Info!

The magic pill fails to address the swing out. What tips and techniques included deal with keeping from getting dizzy executing a move it doesn't address?

No it isn't. It is authentic 1950's Hollywood Jitterbug. 'nuff said.

"You get what you pay for" Damon Stone 2003 A.D.

What can I say... I'm going to a major Halloween bash as Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I'm just getting into character. :D :twisted:

6. d nice

d nice New Member

To answer the question asked...

Look at your partner 1-4. When you step backwards in the begining make sure you step straight backwards. When you move your body to create the turn on 3 & 4 make sure you keep the circle under control. When you step to guide your partner on 5 make sure you turn your head first to check that the path is clear. Your body will catch up with your head 6-8. IF you are constantly trying to look straight at your follow you will certainly get dizzy.

The problem is the eyes feeding false balance cues, ones that don't match up with what your inner ear is saying. You can train yourself out of this, but the easiest solution in this case is the above.

7. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

You can't get any more perfect advice than that.

As far as spotting goes. I don't spot. I did get dizzy in the beginning, but with practice my balance and posture got better and the dizzy feeling went away. Spotting does look nice and can help, but is not always necessary.

8. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Thank you for the tips everyone...I'll really appreciate it! I'll put your advice to good use. :)

Sue - 6 months? Well, I'll keep working at it regardless...it's a really fun dance. I used to be a sax player some years back (not a very good one) ...and I spent a lot of time listening to Swing music for practice...so it's in my blood somewhere... :wink:

9. suek

suek New Member

for god's sake don't compare yourself to me. and my agonizingly slow pace of learning this stuff.

6 months to be able to swingout without dizziness, 3 months to get suzy Qs, and I still can't shorty george! (finger down throat gesture...it's pathetic!)

but when I get a move I get it. I'm saying so myself, but I think my suzy Qs are world class. and my applejacks aren't too bad either.

it's amazing that stuff my mom used to say to absolutely no avail: practice makes perfect. or better. or pretty good.

10. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Oh goodness! What is it with you swing people and weird dance terminology? :lol: :D What the heck is an applejack? :?: :roll: :lol:

11. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Aren't they that kid's cereal? :tongue:

12. suek

suek New Member

I couldn't describe applejacks to save my life...I could show you!

Here's what I find googling. Can't verify because I don't learn dancing very well from the printed word...you gotta show me (over and over and over)...

One source:
    "NICKAJACK" STEP (AKA APPLEJACKS)
    With weight on RIGHT toe and LEFT heel,
    swivel RIGHT heel and LEFT toe to the Left;
    With weight still on RIGHT toe and LEFT heel,
    swivel RIGHT heel and LEFT toe back to home position;
    Switching weight to RIGHT heel and LEFT toe,
    swivel RIGHT toe and LEFT heel to the Right;
    With weight still on RIGHT heel and LEFT toe,
    swivel RIGHT toe and LEFT heel back to home position;
    Switching weight to RIGHT toe and LEFT heel,
    swivel RIGHT heel and LEFT toe to the Left;
    With weight still on RIGHT toe and LEFT heel,
    swivel RIGHT heel and LEFT toe back to home position;
    Switching weight to RIGHT heel and LEFT toe,
    swivel RIGHT toe and LEFT heel to the Right;
    With weight still on RIGHT heel and LEFT toe,
    swivel RIGHT toe and LEFT heel to the Right.

NOTE: Each swivel is done on a bass count rather than on the half-count.
    Dancers who do Applejacks double time may do so as a variation to the printed steps.

Another source:
    Applejacks to R and L - (Point the TOE of your R foot and the HEEL of your L foot to the R so that you are making almost a "V" shape with your feet and return both feet place. Now point the TOE of your L foot and the HEEL of your R foot to the L, again making a "V" and return to place)

3rd source:
    1-2
    Turn R. heel in with L. toes pointing out, Turn both heels to face center (option: heel splits for counts 1-4)
    3-4
    Turn L. heel in with R. toes pointing out, Turn both heels to face center
    5-6
    Turn R. heel in with L. toes pointing out, Turn both heels to face center
    7-8
    .L. heel in & R. toes out, Turn both heels to face center (option: heel together, heel together for counts 5-8)

I don't think any of these is exactly how I do 'em...I know: take a jazz steps class!

13. pygmalion

Well. That clears things up! :shock: :lol: Guess I'd better take some swing lessons. The description was good, but I'm not all that good at translating words into action, for dances I don't already know. I guess I'd better come out to Cali and get d nice to show me. Good plan, suek! :D

14. suek

suek New Member

I refrained from promoting Damon's classes--don't know why. He teaches this stuff really well and has indulged my need to go over and over and over and over the indications.

So c'mon out and play with us.

15. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Suek,

Thanks for the tips and encouragement. Hmm, Sacramento is only about 3 hours away from where I live (location undisclosed), and I actually was born in Fairfield...that's pretty close to there too. 8)

Give me some time to work on my basic Swing Out and maybe I'll make it to a dance over there one of these days...is there a particular club or event you could recommend? I'm a total beginner at Lindy but I know a fair amount of ECS...well more like a not so fair amount...but I'm not too bad at it. :)

16. suek

suek New Member

ScorpionGuy, I sent you a PM with the Sacto info.

Best,

Sue

17. pygmalion

Hey! I read back through your description, suek, and my brain finally engaged. Is the applejack that alternate foot swiveling thing? Toe of one foot up while heel of the other foot is up, meanwhile swiveling back and forth? If so, that is SO hard! My C&W line dance teacher spent a couple of lessons with me, going through that. My assessment? Looks cool, but too hard to be worth the effort. Yikes! :shock: If you can do that at all, you're a heck of a lot better than me. :lol: :D

18. suek

suek New Member

Yup that sounds right, and it is hard until it gets to be easy and that would be lots of trying and practice in my case.

Worth the effort, absolutely...it's a fun move. Better than you; nah.

Blessings,

Sue

19. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

isn't this always the case?

20. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

...and not just with dance?