Swing Discussion Boards > Learning pattern

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Mr.Nee, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Mr.Nee

Mr.Nee New Member

My wife and I are taking WCS group classes, but we both feel like the progress is too slow for us. Last lesson (the third) we didn't learn any new moves at all. So we decided to learn at our own pace.

Given your personal experience, can you outline the learning path?

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

3. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

You might consider taking some private lessons or going to workshops. Swing conventions usually have lots of classes and an overwhelming amount of information.

stash and RiseNFall like this.
  4. Mr.Nee

Mr.Nee New Member

I'm not really a DVD guy, but table of contents of "22 Foundation Patterns" should keep us busy for month or two. Then, I guess, it's workshops and non-linear learning. Just one more question. Instructor in this video (no links from newbs) seems to be doing first step for the left side pass differently than others (including our local instructors) - his first step is to the side as opposed to step back done by others. Is that ok?

5. PaulBunyon

PaulBunyon Active Member

If you are trying to encourage your (newb) follow to move down a slot and not rotate, ala ECS then step down slot and not diagonal to slot. Diagonal will encourage rotation. Most of the other swing types have much bigger rotational aspects so best to minimize that "habit" that might creep in from another style.

6. Steve Pastor

I think you are a lot better off learning to step back (leader) on 1 since, as PaulBunyon wrote, you are almost always leading the woman down the slot on 1, and that is the most straightforward way to lead down the slot on 1.

7. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Please don't confuse the number of patterns you know with actually knowing how to dance.

SDsalsaguy and Larinda McRaven like this.
  8. Mr.Nee

Mr.Nee New Member

We've been dancing full set of ballroom dances, argentine tango, last year started taking salsa lessons (still doing those) -- I'll try no to :D

9. Mr.Nee

Mr.Nee New Member

Thanks, Paul and Steve, that makes a lot of sense.

10. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

In that case, you may just be in the wrong group class.

After a little while consistently dancing (mostly standard), I found the beginner classes in other styles too simple, because I already had a foundation down. (Well, actually, I skipped a lot of the beginner classes in standard too, and went right to a combination of private lessons and intermediate classes.) I jumped into new styles/dances a few levels above beginner, because the few minutes of review at the beginning of a new group class session was enough for me to get up to speed. Perhaps consider speaking to your instuctor about jumping up to a more advanced class (either now or at the end of your current session), assuming one is offered?

Caveats:
    Whether you're ready to 'skip' the beginning level(s) depends on a wide range of factors, including how quickly you learn and retain information, how hard you're willing to work to catch up/independently solidify the fundamentals everyone else learned and practiced in class, the willingness of the instructor to let you jump, and how solid your dance foundation is.

This approach won't work for everyone, but it was awesome for me... because honestly, had the studio insisted I follow a strict syllabus or progress through the class levels for each dance, I likely would not have continued dancing. And that would be sad.

11. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

It depends on what you mean by to the "side". In general, when leading the follower down the slot, the leader steps straight back only if the move will block/rebound the follower. The leader steps diagonally back to his/her left rail to allow the follower to pass down the center of the slot on the leader's right, and diagonally back to his/her right rail ("hook") to allow the follower to pass on the left. I suppose the hook step could be described as a step to the leaders side, but it's not clear if that's what you are describing. To step straight to the side (left rail) while still facing down the slot does not make for a very efficient left side pass!

12. Mr.Nee

Mr.Nee New Member

Unfortunately I can't post links, bet I here's a partial one watch?v=cKcamMuk3sA I'm sure you'll know what to to with it. That's what I mean with side, full 90 degree turn when taking first step

13. Steve Pastor

You can certainly do it that way, but...

From LA to Seattle, all of the early (50s and 60s) step sheets have you stepping backward on 1. Blair continues this on her dvds.

Although there is no one, right way to do WCS, You are going to get inconsistent information by shopping around and looking at what different people are teaching.

14. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I could give a small presentation on the different ways I've been taught to do a left-side pass as a follow, just on the 3&4.:rolleyes: It's partially preference of the teacher, partially who they think their audience is (some of the variation is having a more "advanced" stretch and turning later). As I aim to please (in some things), I tend towards what the teacher wants within the range of what is led....

stash likes this.
  15. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I like a back (albeit diagonal) step on 1, because then you can lead the lady forward with your body/core instead of just your arm.

16. Dancelf

Dancelf Member

Beware Dunning-Kruger: until you are good enough to recognize that you are about average in your peer group, you probably shouldn't be skipping ahead.

But the truth is most dancers advance faster than they should: when you can execute a pattern without thinking about it, that's the point at which you are ready to start learning that pattern.

Most of us have moved on long before that point, because repeating mistakes is boring and frustrating. Much more interesting to add more mistakes, so that you can mix them up. Every step an adventure.