Salsa > Learning Salsa On1 and On2 At the Same TIME

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Makeda, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Makeda

Makeda New Member

I've been taking on1 lessons recently and I'm excelling at a fast pace. However, I'm really interested in learning on2. I live in DC and I've seen a good mix of people dancing both but I really wanna learn BOTH. Is it recommended that I continue advancing on1 and do a beginner on2?

2. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Of course it is. A good dancer (leader) should be able to mix on1, on2, and on3 fluently in one piece. But as a follower you rely on a precise lead, that´ll be the problem. With a reliable lead a follower is able to dance any timing. On the other hand dance teachers and instructors usually are not really in favor of mixing styles: that´s simply questioning the justification for their existence. ;)

3. Makeda

Makeda New Member

I completely agree! So would you say it is best that I complete all of my intermediate/advanced-intermediate courses on1 before I move on to on2? Or should I take on1 and on2 courses simultaneously (within the same week of each other)?

4. Makeda

Makeda New Member

Sorry I replied to you above, I'm new to this thread thing :)

5. opendoor

Of course, what doen´t kill you makes you stronger!

Bailamosdance likes this.
  6. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

heres another reason.. "they " ( many ) do not know anything other than "1".

I invariably introduce 1 and 2 to my new students ( did it this week ) .
    If one introduces the various genres of music then, as one should, then one needs to introduce both options.
    Just posted my music selections for my new students, on Salsa Forums , for their next lesson .

7. Don Silver

Don Silver Member

I have a different take on this.

It depends on how much music you are hearing today.

I believe cross-training (learning on1, on2, and other dances) is an excellent idea that will be a win for you. I'm also a big advocate for learning from more than one instructor. (Different perspectives are generally a win.)

But in one dance, it's helpful to be consistent with yourself.

For most people who are in the early stages of their dancing journey, I'd recommend they concentrate on one style for a while (3-12 months, more or less depending on their existing dance skills.) Work hard on being as strong as you can in one style. For me it would be more than a year in the first style, and some it will be longer.

IF you can totally keep them straight while on the floor then cool, do both at once.

It will be normal for some minor confusion at some points, but I'd prefer students pick one and put more effort there before adding the second.

IF you already dance a couple other styles, then I may advise differently. If Salsa is your first dance, I'd say do one for a while and get comfortable where you're not thinking of the details THEN move to the second dance.

There is more than one path, both work. For my money staying with one OR picking up one style of salsa AND a solo type dance is a faster path rather than two salsa styles at once.

If you have other questions, please fire away.

8. Makeda

Makeda New Member

Yes I think I'm with you on this one... I took a class on2 and it totally confused me. I'll be sticking to on1 for quite a bit. Thank you :)

9. Don Silver

Don Silver Member

I see it as a smart move to get one timing down (I know some who started on2, and that works great as well.)

If someone wants to be a stronger dancer faster, and they want a second style in the earlier stages, I'd cross-train jazz, hip-hop or another solo dance rather than salsa on two different timings. (Again, in the earlier stages...)

And I'd be listening to lots of music verifying I have the timing right (the pulse, not just the "1" or "2"), so that later I can switch to any timing and know how it relates to the music.

After a few months, cycle back and take the on2 class, you'll find that since you're movement skills have improved, it's easier to pick up a second dance/timing.

Let us know how you're doing.

10. manteca

manteca Member

I agree with Don's basic advice. Stick to a style first and get it solid. I tried learing On1 at the same time I was learning On2, and I had a really hard time keeping them straight.

Once you've got them both in your system, I suggest dancing only one style per night, maybe alternate every time you go out. Until you get to the point where it doesn't matter anymore.

FWIW - I switched from On1 to On2 early on in my learning and found the change hard to make. I focused On2 and after I got better at On2, going back to On1 turned out to be a breeze.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  11. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

I think I'm stupid. I spent most of my life dancing on1...then when I started learning on2, I picked it up really quick but the on1 was kind of in the back of my mind. When I started doing ballroom, all that I did was on1. Then when I started going to salsa clubs and doing on2 or dancing mambo in ballroom, it completely screwed me up. Like, now I actually can't really dance on2 unless I'm thinking REALLY hard about it. It's kind of mortifying.

12. tangotime

You need to put it in perspective.. ; It takes a very long time ( for most ) to be able to readily adapt to either timings .And, usually ,the men have a more difficult time, than do the ladies . Also, its dependant upon the individual.

13. Don Silver

Don Silver Member

I respectfully disagree.

Switching timings takes some experience and grounding in both timings AND some experience going back and forth. Few people can do so much on one timing (on1), so little on another, then switch back and forth without some transition time.

Based on what you've mentioned, some of us recognize your symptoms and quickly realize you have something common among most dancers. Many of us avoid labeling people but in this case I'll go out on a limb.

No hard feelings please, but in your case the shoe fits.

The technical dance term I'd apply to you is: "N-O-R-M-A-L".

Sorry. ;)

theAnnelis likes this.
  14. tangotime

Ive been conducting an experiment, with a lady student that I aquired 5 weeks ago.
    Never danced before.. Started her on "1".. picked up fairly quickly. Above average talent. 3rd week, introduced "2". She had little problem , following very basic sequences ( Im teaching her a NY PR style , blended version that includes Cuban variety.. even added some Son ) .

Its been a regular2 visit week, with 2 to 3 hr sessions, using varying styles of music, mainly mid tempo .

Into the 6th week..what Im finding out is this; the consistency for on "2" is really affected ,when adding rotational movements during the course of a song , but can maintain "2", in basic , CBL and Dile Que No .Still has some problems with directional turns, as in L or R .

Ive concluded this; the attempt to rush thru basics to change to "1" is still evident . And any variation that, includes a progressive walking type action,the technique gets abandoned ( its not danced, its walked literally ).

15. tangotime

16. Makeda

Makeda New Member

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to give an update. I started taking classes on2 after about 8 months of on1. The class I am taking now places emphasis on understanding the music and how to identify the counts and rhythm changes. This focus really helped me because after only a 3 classes, I am able to dance socially on2 without too much confusion. And whenever I get off track, I can identify the rhythm and fix myself rather quickly. I still have to think really hard when I'm on2, which limits my shines/styling. But I think understanding the counts in the music is the key to dancing in either style! :)

17. opendoor

Do you mean on1 teachers attach less value on rhythms than on2 teachers?

18. Makeda

Makeda New Member

Not necessarily. Just in my experience, the on1 classes I have taken didn't dedicate time to it. But in my on2 classes I learned way more about the instruments and rhythm (tumbao, clave, etc.)

19. Turbo

Turbo New Member

I learn On2 telling myself it is a "Mambo"

20. tangotime

As the "famous " musician said.. " ALL Salsa is Mambo.. but.. not ALL Mambo is Salsa "