Swing Discussion Boards > Learning to swing dance on a budget

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by East Coast Bluesboy, Mar 13, 2013.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Nope. You mentioned where you were from in your profile and one of your posts yesterday, and google is easy to use.;) And your first post said to check out your profile to get to know more about you. Sorry. Didn't mean to come across like a creeper :D

2. Yeah, I figured. It was just kind of trippy having you send me to the very page that I manage :p

3. pygmalion

Dude. You don't know me, but I'll tell you what. If you want to learn blues or swing dance and there's anything I can possibly do to help, I will.

Off the wall suggestion. In the past, I've taken ballroom classes with a teacher who did "group privates." Basically, six to eight of us would pay him more than the hourly rate but split the cost among us. Then we'd book a time slot and pick a dance we wanted to work on. I don't remember the cost, but it really wasn't bad -- not much more than the cost of a regular group class. And, since we were picking the dance, it could be progressive or we could do a different dance every time. It worked. :)

Might be worth looking into, because you could pick a night that fit your schedule and the teacher's schedule, if you could find a private teacher that would be willing to take on a regular group.

East Coast Bluesboy likes this.
  4. Y'know, that's not a bad idea at all. I might post something about that in our Facebook group. Surely I'm not the only one who doesn't have Tuesdays free.

5. pygmalion

Good luck!:)

6. pygmalion

Based on a comment in another thread, I'm going to say this. Dance is not a cheap hobby -- not if you want to be good at it. You are going have to spend some resources on it -- time or money, but most likely more of both than you ever imagined possible.

There are tons of threads over in ballroom about the cost of lessons that will make your head explode, if you're new to the dance world. I don't remember have seen a swing thread on the topic recently, but, if I can find one, I'll post it,so we can a calibrate what things are "supposed" to cost.

Then, it might to be possible to create a realistic budget that balances what you'd likke to spend with what you'd spend if there were unlimited resources.

7. pygmalion

Don't know if you know about exchanges, ECBB, but this is a great way to get in an intensive social dance experience -- usually a weekend's worth. I've never seen one where the registration fees seemed expensive to me.

This one is eighty bucks. http://dclx dot net/
    This one has everything a la carte, but all the workshops and social dances add up to less than $150 http://www.dirtcheapblues dot com/

A lot of these places are very, very informal, when it comes to accommodations. Either people offer rooms in their homes, or largish groups of people share hotel rooms with roommates. But travel is a major expense, if you're not near the town where the exchange is held. Try googling [town where I live] [swing dance of choice] exchange. You might be surprised.

There's no such thing as a free lunch, but there are lunchtime specials. ;)

8. pygmalion

Did you google? I did, and couldn't find anything in Tennessee.I did find a swing weekend in Statesboro, GA, that mentions having a lot of guests from TN, though. Maybe you can carpool with someone.

April 12 - 14. Private lessons $25 for up to two people. Plus other lessons and dances and other random grooviness. Group lessons $5. Etc.

http://www.facebook dot com/events/325689660874417/?fref=ts

9. pygmalion

There's also this. March 29 - 31.

The Cumberland Shuffle-- from what I can tell, mostly retro music,but also retro dance. (This one is in Nashville, btw. I guess I don't know how to use their search engine. *shrug*)

http://www.cumberlandshuffle dot org/

10. pygmalion

Lindy Exchange in Knoxville in September. They have a facebook page, but their website isn't up yet.

11. juwest333

juwest333 Active Member

Yup. I think I have spent about $5,000 so far in my first year of dancing (dancing shoes, exchanges, competitons, traveling to said exchanges and competitions, DVD videos, private lessons, regular classes, gasoline used in going to said classes and private lessons, etc.)

And I don't regret spending one dime. :)

12. pygmalion

I think exchanges are a great deal, especially if you're close enough to drive. $100 - $200 for a weekend full of social dance plus workshops, sometimes with famous swing/blues dancers and teachers. Doesn't sound all that great, until you figure in how many hours of dancing that is, with people at all levels.

13. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I have to say, since there's been more than one comment in this line, if you spend a bunch of money on dancing, that is a choice.

It IS possible to learn without spending a bunch of money. You won't win any contests, unless it's at your local saloon or honky tonk maybe (I hear they have those in Nashville), and a lot of people won't think you are "good," but I know of hundreds of people who dance and have only taken free lessons, or paid a few bucks that included a cover charge.
    There are evening classes put on by parks departments, community colleges, etc, too. I'm sure this isn't true everywhere, but it bears looking into.

Looks like right there in Nashville they have instructors who have danced professionally giving lessons at one of the clubs. Etc etc

14. pygmalion

I said what I said because the OP seems shocked by $50 - $100 privates. That's what privates cost. Almost ANYTHING that involves a service is going to cost that much or more. It's arithmetic, and it doesn't mean that the service provider is walking away with $100/hour. That doesn't mean you can't dance and spend less money. It means know what things cost and choose what you're going to buy (meaning lessons, videos, etc) ... and what you're going to spend(meaning time) A LOT of people in the swing world avoid a lot of privates, but a LOT of them also practice their butts off. But nothing good is free.

I said you're going to have to spend some resources and I stand by that.