Leather shoe soles? Should I do it?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by mellody43, Oct 14, 2003.

1. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

My first post here was about my dance shoe soling issues -- since I dance in a club, not a pristinely clean ballroom, my suede soles take a serious beating. :cry:

Should I get leather soles on the shoes? Is this a big mistake? Are they going to be too stiff AND slippery?! (These are salsa shoes, btw.)

Thank you for any advice!
    Melissa

2. SalsaGeek

SalsaGeek New Member

I'd just brush and clean the crap out of my shoes. If you have more than one pair then you can just wear the older/cheaper pair to the clubs.

3. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

A brush doesn't seem to clean them enough so I gently use sandpaper to get the crud off. But that wears the suede down much faster.

*sigh*

4. SalsaGeek

SalsaGeek New Member

:lol: The joy of being a dancer :lol:

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Can the answer be yes and no at the same time? Hmm. :? :lol: :D

The real deal: suede shoes require careful handling. Check out the tips and advice library on gottadance.org. It goes through the whole shoe thing at great length -- why to buy them, how to fit them, how to take care of them, how to handle dancing on cruddy floors, etc. Worth a look-see. If you can't baby your suede soles for any reason, go for the leather.

If, on the other hand, you're willing to baby your shoes, suede is much preferable. Not necessarily because it's more flexible. That depends on the shoe you buy. But because leather tends to be more slippery. I have a pair of leather-soled dance shoes -- very lightweight, comfortable, and beautiful shoes. But it took me so long to break them in. Slippery! Yikes! :shock:

But remember -- baby your shoes. Carry them in a shoe bag. Stay away from puddles and beer spots and cigarette ash. Never wear them outdoors. Clean them only with a hard-bristled wire brush, and clean them often. gottadance.org spells it all out.

The suggestion to have a pair of older club shoes is a good one, too. I think you do most of your dancing in a club, though, right? :? So take a look at that website, and please let me know what you think. :D Oh yeah, and also check out Terryl's article on dance shoes and your feet in the articles forum. :D

6. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

That gottadance.org stuff is wonderful! Thank you.

I couldn't believe the one line about resoling every year or so -- ummm, I've resoled mine like 4 times in one YEAR!!! Damn club floors. *wahhh!*

As usual, Jenn, you are so helpful.
    :D

Melissa

7. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I can see my socks peaking through the side of my dance shoes... does that mean that I need new ones? I think it actually adds character to see the sock sticking out the side... I'm not sure what kind of character it adds but some kind is good enough for me... :roll:

8. Sarah

Sarah New Member

New socks? Well if they're going to be showing, you should try to get something that matches your partners outfit. Either that or fluroescent green with pictures of bunny-rabbits.
    HTH
    Sarah

9. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

HTH ?

that one's new to me

10. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Hope this helps

Cheers
    Sarah

11. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

AAAaaaaaahhhhhhh! I see! Thank you!

12. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Those shoes are probably just broken in . . .

13. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Or maybe just broken? :? :wink:

14. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Yeah, they are just broken in... that is what it is... I like your perceptive Vince... :D My shoes are just broken in....

15. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

Whatever makes you feel better! It's amazing the things people tell themselves! ;)

16. SDsalsaguy

broken + in = boriken! :lol:

17. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

You are not kidding... when I look down I see a $300 dollar pair of brand spanking new shoes, minus some glue and some leather... Its kind of like, wounds of war. An old battered soldier who is still giving his all to his nation because of personal beliefs, not caring that he can bearly walk but still holding gun in hand fighting for freedom... Now, is that being positive or just delusional? Hmmmm... No, no, don't convience me otherwise... they've been with me since I picked them up from Hospital Capizio...

18. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hey. There's nothing wrong with forming an attachment to your favorite pair of dance shoes. I'm sure we've all done that, from time to time. I know I have. I don't wear bunny socks, though. :lol: :D

19. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

very creative... me likes that... 8) My shoes are starting to look kind a way cooler right about now...

20. SDsalsaguy

Anytime boriken... anything I can do to help out a fellow salsero! 8)