Tango Argentino > Videos > less is more

Discussion in 'Videos' started by opendoor, Apr 19, 2009.

1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Have a look at Osvaldo y Coca dancing and their footwork. Has someone of you already met them?

2. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Yes, I have, in Buenos Aires. They are absolutely amazing dancers, and extremely nice people.
    No less, no more, just right. They are dancing to a slow Canaro vals. Thanks for posting. This is one of my favorite videos of them. Wonderful musicality.

3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Ahhh...I love this video. It's the very first one I found and bookmarked several years ago when I'd just finished my crash-course series of lessons.

4. Forgive my ignorance. I have taken only a few classes in AT. I don't see anything in this video. Nothing "flashy" and the steps are not too complicated. Posture could use some improvement.

5. Lilly_of_the_valley

Taken only a few classes in AT and, I assume, having a ballroom dance background? You are forgiven :)
    A short explanation -- Argentine tango is very, very different.

6. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Maybe this might help explain things: "The intricacy of simplicity"

7. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Good one, Ampster.

To someone mangle one of the people who posted in response to your well written post,

from flash to flesh?

8. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Thank you, Steve.

In answer to your question (flash to flesh), not quite. The reply talks about going from the outside (flash) to "visceral" which in this case pertains, to being "Instinctive" (by definition)

9. kieronneedscake

kieronneedscake New Member

Heresy Alert

Try as I might, I can't find an angle to enjoy that video. I have watched it a dozen times now to try and understand what others praise so highly about it, but it doesn't seem to help. I see lots to respect and admire, but I am unmoved by it - I now intend to challenge myself to dance with similar restraint if I can.

Here are the things I see:

1. Great restraint. It takes great confidence and skill to lead so little and to not do more. I sometimes lead steps in order to restore equilibrium, where this couple have never lost it in the first place. Coca feels no need to display fancy footwork either. She is comfortable as is.
    2. Total connection. She follows with great attentiveness. Make no mistake, the clever footwork combinations are NOT EASY, particularly while retaining close embrace. Similarly, the microscopic steps are only possible with super-strong connection.
    3. No risk. Both positive and negative - I personally like to see people operating at the edges, but at the same time there is never anything to disturb the dance.
    4. Interesting mixtures of motions, combining both fluidity and sharpness (with specific reference to Osvaldo's feet).

I'm not too fussed about the musical interpretation, possibly because it differs strongly from how I react to vals music. I also see very little manifestation of interaction between the couple, which is something I enjoy seeing. I appreciate some of the couple's other performances more than this one, so I'm not damning them, just intrigued.

Please, assembled tango connoisseurs, tell me what you see and try to articulate why it should move you strongly?

10. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Frist a disclaimer - I can't make these embedded videos work, so I can't comment on that, and maybe I shouldn't even be posting; but I can comment on this aspect of it.

It's that "super-strong connection" that is so attractive, and it's what totally pulled me into this kind of tango. And you can experience this with a total stranger, if you are both of the same mind, and body. And there it is again, blending so much with someone else that it feels as if their steps are your own. Very intoxicating.

Someone wrote already about not being able to see it until you've become familiar with it yourself. You may know that researchers have found, using brain imaging technology, that when trained dancers see someone perform movements that they themselves can do, the same areas of the brain that would make that movement happen are active. In other words, in a sense, they are "experiencing" the same sensations as if they themselves were doing the movements.
    The brains of non dancers do not show the same activity.

P.S. Guess my attempted pun didn't work so well.

11. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I have to say, I'm with you on this video. If I get a chance I'll watch it again tonight, but thus far it didn't really move me. I had no qualms with the steps, but more with the style/form.

I will say that the turn he led (starting around 35 seconds into the video) was different from any I've done. I had to watch it a few times to figure it out.

BTW, the some of comments about this video on youtube are a bit humorous.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2017
  12. Lilly_of_the_valley

I think it's completely OK that not everyone likes the same in tango. Especially about musical interpretation, which is a subjective matter.
    I am glad you shared your appreciation of some things in this video. I would not agree with anyone who says there is nothing to it at all. But no one is obligated to like it, of course.

13. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

+1

(Damn not being able to post something with less than four characters.)

14. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Interesting thread; and, thanks for the link, Amps.

15. opendoor

16. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

I agree with the heretic :p. There is a fine line between a purely "social" dance and a performance. To me this is too much of a "social" dance.

I also couldnt get into their musicality. The only thing I enjoyed was Osvaldo's super smoothness - now that is something to aspire to...

17. opendoor

Hi CJ, perhaps you mistake them, they make a performance out of the social.

18. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Interesting point. What defines a performance; and, what defines social dance? Certainly, a social dance is one that is done w/o the intent to perform, but does that mean that it should not include some fancy/flashy moves. On the flip side, a performance should be a dance done w/ the intent to entertain. Does that mean it must have some movement that is traditionally accepted as "performacne", or can it simply be a well done social dance that is enjoyable to watch?

Hmmm.

19. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Well let me compare this to Julio and Corina. Rarely any flashy moves (a few sacadas not much more). But their "social" dancing is superb. And entertaining.

Different style of course - not as "liquid" as Osvaldo and Coca.

20. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

ah Salvador Dali would have regarded this dancing as far too flamboyant altogether. Why not just stand there and listen to the other's heartbeat until your own is in synch and your inbreath and outbreath are as one then their tango would become sublime.