General Dance Discussion > Let's talk makeup!

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by mellody43, Apr 13, 2004.

1. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

I *love* makeup. I don't wear much on a daily basis but I love colors, textures, and generally having fun in my own conservative/girly way.

What products do you find particularly good for dancing? Special tips/tricks?

I tend to play up my eyes rather than my lips, so I stick with nudish but glossy lips, and then let my eyes do the talkin'.

I like:

EYES
    *MAC Paints to hold shadows on
    *sealant (i.e. La Femme Cake Eyeliner Sealant, or Ben Nye Liqui-Set) to turn loose powders or shadows into good eyeliners, or to apply loose shadows wet to lids -- this is such a staple for me!
    *2-3 coats of waterproof mascara (lately, Maybelline Volume Express Turbo!)
    *loose shimmer colors from MAC, Ben Nye, MUFE, La Femme, and Bare Escentuals -- lots of colors, you can mix/blend/play, and pretty sparkliness.
    *black eyeliner. I love Prestige's waterproof pencil (the kind you can sharpen, not the automatic one) in Granite -- stays on like IRON.

LIPS
    *Bobbi Brown - the sugar glosses. They stay on like mad. Sheerish.
    *Prestige's waterproof lip liners stay on wonderfully too but I use the color all over the lip.
    *MAC lipglasses come in awesome colors and stay on well.

I actually just picked up some individual false eyelashes that I'm going to try just on the outer corners of my eyes this weekend. I need a little more drama. :)

What are you using?

Melissa

2. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

I can talk make-up :D :D

But I dont have nearly half as much as you.. I go thru phases and only use one paticular product until I tire of it!

For everyday ....

Foundation- I use CG fresh, natural beige,.

Eyes, I use Maybelline waterproof, Black (always black!) mascara
    CG eyeshadows, usually a soft brown as my eyelashes are really long and tend to take over anyway!

Lips,
    Revlon colorstay in pink.

If Im out to hit the town or go dancing, I will use a Khol pencil on my eyes for a really dramatic effect, Lips usually stay pink unless Im wearing something that just screams for red :lol:

And I always carry lip gloss...ALWAYS! I cant live without it, Im forever applying it.

3. redhead

redhead New Member

I play with the eyes, but not too much. Whatever I do, I always use some white eyeshadow as a highlighter. For lipgloss, Maybelline makes wet diamonds - sparkly red is my favorite, but only if I wear red or black dress (it's too much otherwise). How do false lashes work? I was never able to put them on my eyes...

4. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

As a model...I have TONS of makeup. In fact, a whole train case full. I've also had some training in technique, application, and what to look for in the quality.

I've done and worn some really cool looks in the past. ;)

April

5. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I don't wear a lot of makeup generally (don't like the idea of having completely different looking faces with and without makeup :oops:), and I wear even less when I go dancing. I let the natural glow from the copious amount of sweat I end up wearing on my face do the work... :lol:
    Besides, lighting is usually quite dim at clubs, so all that time you spend putting your face on is wasted (that's my excuse for not making an effort, anyway :lol:).

6. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

The above post made me want to clarify...I only wear makeup on photo shoots and on a day-to-day basis, my look consists of some light concealer under the eyes and mascara. That's it.

BTW, the attached photo of me consists of just about the same (light makeup for swimwear).

7. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

I generally only wear a little foundation, concealer to help cover up my horrible dark circles (they never really go away) and a bit of either neutral or brown lippy. Might do some browns and creams on the eyes and mascara for special occasions, but that's about it.

8. NeoDevin

NeoDevin New Member

I like to go with bright pink lipstick, lots of blush, black eyeliner, and purple eyeshadow.

9. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I'd like to see THAT, NeoDevin!!!!!!!

Usually I wear mascara, black eyeliner(under my lower lashes only) a bit of shadow if I'm into it that day, and ALWAYS lip-liner and major-glossy lip gloss(the guys LOVE it, or so they say!). I never wear foundation as it clogs th' pores but do use a nice powder to keep the shine away.
    When dancing, as I tend to sweat quite a bit, I forget the powder completely as it never stays on past the first dance, and opt for WATERPROOF mascara. I like to use glittery stuff to highlight my eyes for parties or going to clubs.
    I have no favorite brands but I travel a lot and and use stuff I pick up in Europe and Asia most often. I buy most of my cosmetics in Seoul, Korea(as it's 1/5 the cost here in Japan, and about 1/2 price of that in the US) and they have a huge selection of all the latest colors! I am now using turquoise blue or lavender eyeliner on my upper lids which I highlight with white pearl powder around the corners of my eyes. For US$200 I can buy more than a year's worth of make-up & hair care products, which is one reason(besides the GREAT food) I go there to shop at least once a year!!! :D

10. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

I have recently discovered the stay on 10 hour lipsticks. They are fantastic! I can put on in the morning, and it stays there all day - no joke. I only have to reapply if going out at night (generally a darker shade) and then if I don't bother to wash it off before going to bed, the beautiful pout is still there in the morning! Absolutely fabulous. :D

11. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Lots of makeup and hair products cocodrilio!! :eek: :) I try and keep mine to the minimum. Chapstick to stop my lips chapping, a moisturizer to stop my face from drying out, and a couple hair products to keep my hair looking good.

12. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

P.S. My favorite brand of deodorant is REXONA, which I first discovered in the Czech Republic about 6 years ago. I also found it in places like Mexico & Africa, but I've never seen it in the US. It comes in lots of nice scents, and LASTS THE WHOLE NIGHT, even for a sweathog like me! Check it out!

13. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Yes, a lot of make-up indeed, Sagitta, but I don't really wear all that much. The Japanese summer is extremely humid, thus one must apply & re-apply make-up constantly as you sweat it off. In Korea I also get lip balm, lotions, toners, hand creams, and all that stuff. Great prices for locally-produced cosmetics. They also carry Nivea, Johnson & Johnson, & Neutrogena(great hand cream) at half the price in Japan!

14. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I stopped wearing makeup when I went through an identity crisis in my mid-twenties. Cut off all my hair and wore that natural too. It was great (and quite funny) watching people's reactions to my bare face and my afro. :shock: (And the reactions to my assertiveness training were even funnier. :lol: )

Nowadays, I do various things with my hair, depending on my mood,. But I rarely wear makeup at all. Only for very special occasions.

15. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

My hair fros when I let it go long--and then I don't dare brush it, usually let it air dry so that it curls up tight. If I brush it out, it starts looking like:

"Welcome baaaack!" :wink:

16. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Which one? I had one -- Lipfinity maybe? -- and it was so drying I tossed it! Ew!

17. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I've tried those lipsticks- I believe they are Japanese products- they ARE drying and they don't come off, no matter what! I have super dry lips so I prefer a wetter lipstick, so I've switched to gloss. Many re-applications, but it looks great & keeps my lips moisturized.

18. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

I use the Covergirl ones (cheaper than the others). They have a moisturising stick that goes over the top that you can apply if it feels dry. I have no complaints at all. :D

19. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I wouldn't know covergirl if it came up and bit me on the nose. Back when I used to wear the stuff regularly, I had a consultant who recommended colors and such for me. I definitely recommend that. Not necessarily a particular brand of makeup, but the consultation. At least one. It will help you figure out the difference between what YOU see and what the WORLD sees. Definitely a good thing, at least once. :wink: LOL.

20. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

I have to agree that the all day lipsticks are very drying, I use the lifinity too and that comes with a gloss stick so you dont notice it.

Ive just discovered maybelline wetshine diamonds...great stuff! It looks so cute on...think my long lasting colors have just become back shelf dwellers :lol: