General Dance Discussion > Let's talk makeup!

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by mellody43, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

mentioning a brand that you use is not considered advertizing. Others have done it. Only putting active commercial links is frowned upon. So, what product do you use?

2. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

For clogged pores, try a product containing salicylic acid. (This is what beauty experts in magazines will ALWAYS recommend for this.) These are usually labelled "for spot prone skin" but not all of them these days are harsh nasty stuff like Clearasil. I like the Garnier Pure range, using the exfoliating face wash and the Pure A treatment moisturises, although the Neutrogena Visibly Clear stuff is nice too I hear.

For what it's worth, I'm 30 and when I was young I thought I'd grow out of the blocked pores, blackheads etc. naturally. Not all of us are so lucky. :evil:

3. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I'll have to scold you, as I do even my 50-year old students, for saying "When I was young." The more apropo expression would be "When I was younger." (Unless, of course, you really look and feel old!) :lol:

4. labelledanseuse

labelledanseuse New Member

The most I wear on a daily basis is concealer (for the dark circles under my eyes), some lip moisturizer with shine, and mascara (my eyelashes are actually really long, but you can't tell unless I have mascara on b/c the tips are really light). Sometimes I put blush on, too.

If I'm going some place special, then I put on a little eye liner and colored lip gloss.

I keep my make-up looking natural. If I wouldn't have those darned circles under my eyes, then I would be able to go au naturale with no problem. I don't like to bother with make-up. I used to model, though, so I still have a LOT make-up from my modelling days that I like to play around with sometimes. 8)

5. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

When I was last visiting my Mom in the states, I was reading a book she had on cosmetics. The book was titled "Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me" by Paula Begoun, and gave in-depth reviews of a multitude of popular make-up brands and their products. Interesting, informative reading if you're into make up.

6. Sagitta

But wouldn't the info change over time as new formulations etc come out? Isn't this the case with make-up?

7. Laura

Laura New Member

I've got that one! In it I learned that all eye pencils marked "Made in West Germany" come from one of two factories, so basically all eye pencils are the same. Well that was back when there still was a West Germany, of course.

8. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Well, since that one was the 4th edition, I'm pretty sure they've been updating it!

9. the best

the best New Member

Well, I use Three-in-one Cleanser Time-Wise Mary Kay. For me it works. Don't know if it works for everyone.
    As for blackheads - it is a pure suferring, I thought that I won't have it in my fifty. :(

10. Laura

Laura New Member

I used to use that Timewise and I liked it a lot. I'm using Lancome stuff now, though. When I run out I might go back to Timewise, I like the way its exfoliating beads are smaller than the ones in the Lancome scrub.

11. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Sheesh! This dadburned thread made me go buy lipstick today. :shock: :( :lol:

Are you makeup-o-philes happy now? :lol: :lol:

12. Laura

Laura New Member

Well, if it's any consolation, I have been instructed by my coach to go out and buy liquid eyeliner before Sunday's competition. I'm using a brush-on creme liner from MAC and we both agree that it doesn't give a defined enough line. The creme ends up looking a little too "soft focus." So it's off to Nordstrom tomorrow :)

13. pygmalion

:lol: :lol: Have fun. I don't feel any better, but what the heck. At least somebody should feel good about this thread, so why not you? :lol: :lol:

14. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

Google her. I did and it seems she has a great website. Lots of common sense on there and lots of product reviews.

15. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Thanks! That's nice to know since I don't own the book! I'll definitely look it up! :D

16. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

yeah well I just put in a $40 Avon order. ALL cosmetics, yeesh. New lipstick, eyeshadow, blush, bronzer powder, you name it.... UGH!

Dman this conversation and that stupid Kevyn Aucoin book and the Trish McEvoy book.... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

17. pygmalion

And gosh darnit!. I just this morning made an appointment for a makeover. Do you really think I'm going to make it through that without a dressing table full of products?

You folks are a bad influence. Every last one of you. :lol:

18. Sagitta

Okay... I hardly ever ever use makeup and I like teh natural look on most people. How's that? :wink: :)

19. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

But it takes a lot of work to look natural. :lol:

20. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

What's with all this GUILT? It's making me itchy! You should feel GOOD about this, because you DESERVE to pamaper yourselves, on occasion, and it's worth it to make yourself look beautiful! Power(or "powder") to you! :D