General Dance Discussion > Let's talk makeup!

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by mellody43, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Laura

Laura New Member

Just got back from the MAC counter at Nordstrom...picked up some black liquid eyeliner and some MAC Paints. I love that stuff -- it's a creme eyeshadow that comes in a paint tube. It's fabulous to use as a base for powdered shadows because it really holds everything on as well as being strongly pigmented itself. I forgot what color I got, but it's a lovely champagne shade. Gonna wear 'em both tomorrow....

2. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Oooooh, sounds very pretty!

Comp. tomorrow or just a try-on?

3. Laura

Laura New Member

Comp. Still stoning the dress in fact....

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Good luck, Laura. 8)

5. Laura

Laura New Member

Done stoning, now I really need to get some sleep but hubby-san has come down with something and is coughing a lot. I dosed him with NyQuil and plan to sleep in my sewing room tonight. OK, off to bed! Thanks everyone.

Oh yeah, about makeup: I've got some soft pink thick pencil from BeneFit called Eye Bright. It's really nice if you've got tired circles under your eyes, or dark shadows on the inner corners by the nose. You dot it on and blend, and it helps to blend away the darker color and perk you up. I forgot I had this until I was looking for a lipstick in a box the other day, and there it was!

6. pygmalion

What guilt? I gave that up years ago. :lol: :lol:

7. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

I dunno about any of you, but when I take a little time to make myself pretty -- put on some makeup, maybe a necklace, nice clothes -- I feel more confident and sexy in myself and I can feel how it changes the way I move.

There's nothing to feel guilty about in spending money on cosmetics. They're not frivolous. They're emotional therapy. :D

My favourite piece of emotional therapy is Barry M's Dazzle Dust, which is a loose powder shadow. I just don't know of a range that does such a great variety of colours. Loose powder shadow's great, you can use it sparingly for a subtle look, you can really layer it on for vibrant effects, it makes a great liner and some shades are good as highlighters for the cheeks, contouring, even on the lips and loose powder shadows in general seem to stay on much more than any other kind of eye colour. I have so many of these. I love them. Really, really love them! And they're only £4.50! (That's about $8.50 or 6.50 EUR)

Unfortunately no makeup for me today, I'm having an allergic reaction and my left eye has swollen up like a golfball :evil: :evil: :evil:

8. pygmalion

Bummer. An allergic reaction to what? :?

9. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

Life, I think. It's probably stress-triggered. It's not one of the usual things that set me off -- nuts, some perfumes -- because I've been very careful.

:cry:

10. pygmalion

Yeah. Life'll get ya. :( I hope you feel better soon.

11. macha

macha New Member

Guilt? LOL- I gathered that too, BUT instead of going out to buy pretty paste, I went for a gigantic order of tator tots instead.

Oh- and another new ring :lol:

12. chachabelle

chachabelle New Member

Okay, I'll be the first to admit it. I wear makeup everyday - - and a lot!
    I was raised in the South, and my mother always told me "Don't even go to the mailbox without your lipstick." No, really, I love makeup. I like to wear it, play with it, buy it. I really don't look like Tammy Faye. I've learned to apply it where it doesn't look like I'm wearing as much as I am. But I'm a reddish/blond Irish and have lots of freckles, so it takes a good foundation to cover them up. I noticed someone said on the First Competition thread that even though they thought they were wearing a lot of make-up, it really looked washed out. I found that to be true at comps. At first I refused to wear the black eyeliner and fake lashes, but after looking at my tapes, you could hardly see my eyes, so now I pile it on!

13. macha

macha New Member

I found some of this angelfood cake-flavored/scented lipgloss today by Tutti Dolci- I LOVE that stuff! It's decadent! I wonder if I could squirt it on poundcake? :shock:

I didn't buy it for self-beautification, I just bought it cause it smelled/tasted great! :lol:

PS- hope the allergy gets better. The Tutti Dolce body lotion broke me out into hives, but not the lipgloss. I still swear by DiNatura by Fire Creek Group for all the rest.

14. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Well, chachabelle, welcome to DF!
    I am actually surprised at the way this thread has gone. I would have thought there would be more cosmetics divas. I freely admit that I was totally into makeup since I was allowed to wear it.

15. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

That reminds me of this lipgloss that was all the rage when I was a junior high student. I had most of the "flavors"- but my favorites were bubblegum and butterscotch. Stuff actually tasted good, too! Do any of you remember these? They were in a clear glass tube with some kind of red floral print on it. The cap was gold, I believe. The lipgloss had a plastic ball at the top so you could "roll it on". I can almost taste it now! 8)

16. Laura

Laura New Member

I like MAC mascara because it smells like rosewater.

I like Burt's Bees lipsticks because they taste like peppermint.

17. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

Aww, freckles are lovely! I can understand painting over them for a stagey situation like being in a competition, but do you really cover them up every day?

:(

18. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

I love freckles :(

On a photo or on video, makeup that would look horrible in real life and normal light, can look very good. The same goes for low lighting.

It has to do with the disapearing of the details, and probably some other effects too. A TV can never render the details (maybe it will be different on HDTV), and many photos will be deliberately smoothed if close up.

Makeup for real life, and makeup for photo/video are two different things.

19. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Everything we can do now with make-up we owe 100% to Max Factor. That man was a GENIUS!

I recently finished his biography.... WOWZERS!!!

Every woman who wears make-up should read it along with Trish McEvoy's book and Kevyn Aucoin's book "Making Faces". The three together are the triumvirate of beauty secrets. :)

20. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

LOVE that song! KC is da man!