General Dance Discussion > Let's talk makeup!

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by mellody43, Apr 13, 2004.

1. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

I went to Sephora's in NYC yesterday, just to play with stuff. Their liquid eyeliner is really good, but I'm not sure if there are stores in other cities. It's the store brand, and it sells for about $10. I tried it on my hand. The brush is very smooth and allows for great control, so you can have a thin or thick line without a mess. The bad thing about it is that it is totally NON-waterproof, so if you wear contacts and have to put drops in your eyes every now and then, this won't work.
    I did find a new product which I tried on my hand and it worked great. It's a "lipstick sealer", and it's an obscure brand that makes things of that type. It's a brush-on liquid in a small bottle for $15.00. You are supposed to brush it over lipstick, and the lipstick will become permanent.
    I tried it over my hand, actually over a line I made with a pencil eyeliner, not lipstick. After all the experiments I did on my hands, and rubbing off all the test lipstick and eyeshadow more than once with a plain paper tissue, and paper tissue soaked in makeup remover, everything came off my hand, except that one line of eyeliner with the sealer on top. It just stayed put like when I first put it on. Hmmmm. I think I'll go back to the store and buy me a bottle. It's about the size of a nailpolish bottle. Sephora makes a similar product, under its own brand name, for about $12 I think. I will try that one, too. But I was really impressed with this sealer thing. The line on my hand didn't start fading until I took a shower.
    This is not something I would wear on a daily basis. I actually like re-applying lipstick (when I wear lipstick), because that way I can empty the tube and have an excuse to buy a few more :D :D But for comps, this would be a good product. I am going to see if it can be applied over other things, e.g. eyeliner and eyeshadow, to make them permanent.

2. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I have some very good Korean lipsticks that are long-lasting and don't "feather" even when I'm dancing & sweating, but I wouldn't really care for anything you're going to need turpentine to remove! :lol: Japanese cosmetic manufacturers are also big on indelible lipsticks, although this is not found in the glosses that are so popular now.

3. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

Rimmel are doing an Infinite Colour lipstick at the moment. It's a double ended tube. The colour really stays on, and the other end is a clear gloss you can put over the top for a bit of shine. I've bought three, they're brilliant! They also smell and taste of vanilla and caramel.

:p :p :p

It doesn't come off for food, kissing, drinking etc. but comes off easily with waterproof eye makeup remover. Good stuff!

4. macha

macha New Member

Ay, Cocodrilo!!! :shock:

You KNOW ... the.. the... *stammers madly...* the ONES-

they had red floral on glass for peppermint, then pink on glass for bubblegum, and then yellowish on glass for butterscotch... Maybelline made them, and they were three-fifty a tube!!!!

ACK!! WHERE can you FIND these?

Pardon my madness, but EVERY time I try to explain JUST THOSE lipglosses to someone, nobody remebers them!

See? HA! I'm NOT crazy after all those tests and pills!

Ok.. I put way too much thought into some things... I need to go find a quiet area and a book :oops:

5. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

I just bought a "lipstick sealer" at Walgreens (NYC brand, $1.99 plus I had a $1.00 coupon. Woo hoo!). It specifically says not to use it on bare lips, and even noted that it may produce a temporary "tingly" sensation over lipstick. I haven't tried it yet, but I suspect this is something you don't want near your eyes (or more specifically, *in* them :shock: ). Didn't someone else post here that they used hairspray to "seal" their makeup?

Melissa

p.s. Macha - I know the glosses you mean. Cripes, I think I may actually still HAVE some hidden away somewhere. They were all the rage when I was younger. Late 1970's, yes?

6. macha

macha New Member

You know, I actually saw them in stores about five years ago- I bought all they had (clearance shopping RULES)... and then, never saw them again. So that was their "extinction period" I guess?

7. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

I remember the flavoured roll-on lip glosses well. They were a huge fad in the late 70s / early 80s, so I was quite young then. Personally I don't like them.

Several ranges have brought them back. Miners do a roll-on gloss now, as do Avon, Stuf and a few others.

8. tiadancer

tiadancer New Member

Oh, I love make-up so much!!! I love the book by bobbi brown "face to face" it is the best book on make-up for dancing or everyday. I have way too much make-up because I am not picky about the brands, I buy what I like, not who I like. I love to look around though at competitions and even in everyday life and think, "oh, man, they need a hair/make-up intervention." I have big pet peeves with make-up and I'm not afraid to tell people what I think if they ask me. I do make-up for teams and weddings quite often, I love doing it!!!

9. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I haven't seen them for AGES, but, oh, those smells and tastes!!! :D

10. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

That's great about you telling it to people like it is(gotta be careful here, though, as some people are pertty sensitive!). Too many people end up making themselves look like clowns or hookers. They should be reading beauty mags to get tips or better yet, go to one of those make-up counters in the department stores.

11. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

Hi there tiadancer! I'm the same. I think some cheap brands do some great products, and some premium brands do some duff ones.

12. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

Hehehehe. I've seen some women working at make-up counters that look like clowns or hookers.

:D :D :D