General Dance Discussion > Letting go...

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Peaches, Jan 18, 2007.

1. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I can't pretend to do anything with my instructor, because he knows me to well. Most of the time he's like who are you trying to fool? I must say though it probably is because of his experience, but he almost has a woman's intuition as how I like to call it lol with how he can see through people lol. I do try the acting thing, but he knows me. But he'll allow me to pull that off though during group lessons and things like that, because he knows who I feel uncomfortable with, and only they don't know it. Not during our privates though. No way lol!

2. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

Ha ha! They may be uncharitable thoughts(and this may belong in the confessions thread) but I think them too! Its the most helpful thing to think when doing a showcase...takes some of the pressure off knowing that at least half, if not more, of the people have done worse than you. Sounds bad, but its true! ;)

3. salsa es mi vida

salsa es mi vida New Member

letting go

This is still big question mark for me.I'll try again::-( What are you suppose to let go of?And why,why are we scared to let go,relax,so what if you enjoy the dance.;)

What will happen if you let go,is it so bad?:confused: I mean i don't dance with every men the same way,they have different style,some i don't like cos it's like being glued to someone,some like grinding as well but not me.:-(

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

some people are just wired to be more retentive with their creative or emotional energy.

i can relate to peach's issue. i am like that. not on the surface, but appearances can be deceiving.

learning how to let go has been a journey for me, as well. still learning, but am far from where i started...

i never danced til a little over a year ago beCAUSE i never felt comfortable on the dance floor -- didn't know what to do & didn't know how to let go. just the way i'm wired... in other ways, things flow very well.

the good news... it's learnable. trust, self-comfort, learning how to re-wire one's nervous system to engage in new types of movement... all that good stuff.

5. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Sorry, I could have sworn I answered this already.

Letting go of inhibitions. Being "in the moment" instead of going through the motions and always having a corner of my brain being reserved for sitting back and watching and analyzing and criticising. Letting go of fear--of losing control, of looking stupid, of screwing up.

The logical part of me says nothing will happen if I "let go." The non-logical part, which tends to win out, says it doesn't know what will happen an doesn't want to find out.

If it's not a fear that you, personally, have, I don't know how else I can explain it to you. It's not a matter of dancing close or not--I dance plenty close with plenty of guys, not so with others. I dance close embrace AT, and there are a couple of guys who, when we dance merengue or salsa, it looks a lot like grinding. I'm fine with that. It's an internal thing.

If you don't recognize it, and have never felt that kind of shyness or reticence, I don't know that I can describe it for you.

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

a dancing newbie....oh...those first days... ;-)

7. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I recommend that you watch Marcia Rock's "Surrender Tango."
    If nothing else it will inspire you (to let go).

8. Peaches

I'm still debating this. It sounds great.

I've just got some real issues with the idea of "surrendering" anything. It's just a knee-jerk, gut reaction to the word. Stupid, I know, but there you have it.

Besides, surrendering seems just as intimidating as "letting go."

Maybe I'll find something else to inspire me.

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

more sorta like the state of my life for the first 41 years... <g> managed to mostly stay off the dance floor all that time...

10. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

hi salsa es mi vida...actually tried to answer this for you in a post, pages and pages ago...in my experience many dancers need to let go of the FEAR of something (see post, pages and pages ago).

You may be one of the lucky few that is not afraid of anything in dance, but many of us need to conciously let go...

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

inhibitions of all varieties IMO

12. dancedevine

dancedevine New Member

awe

What a nice dance partner you are! We should hand copies of your post out to all the social dance venues...

Because it is sad but true...a teacher or partner, side line critic, or the internal critic living in our head can really psych out even the most devoted and long-suffering dancer...
    It is such a breath of fresh air when someone is considerate:) and thoughtful. This dancing stuff is highly personal and..well...a little kindness and encouragement go a long way!:friend:

13. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Letting go. :shock: Well. The day I let go, they'll have a parade with seventy six bloody trombones.

T_E

14. Peaches

LOL!!! You and me both, chica!

One of my teachers has, on several occasions, threatened to get me tipsy. He knows that I'm a lot less uptight when I'm not sober. (The dangers of hanging out and drinking with your teacher...it gives them ammo for later!)

15. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Peaches, I think we're long lost soulmates. The way you describe your lessons and progress really feels like my lessons and progress.

T_E

16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

a glass of wine has saved many a lesson...two can send it into a place of despair...a fine line to walk

17. Peaches

You know, T_E, I've thought the same thing many many times before.

18. Peaches

Sounds like I need to do some experimenting!

I know that a large margarita on an empty stomach before a lesson is not good. Makes vw interesting, though.

19. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I let go this weekend. After two glasses of wine, I think I was actually grinding. :shock: I was a little mortified at first, but boy, after a few minutes, I got to liking it!

20. Sabor

Sabor New Member

shocking..