Swing Discussion Boards > Lindy Historian Extraordiare

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Black Sheep, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Black Sheep

Black Sheep New Member

To La La Lindy Lovers,
    Lindy Historian Extraordinaire!
    Terry Monaghan, our leading Lindy Historian is the Impresario of the London 'Jiving Lindy Hoppers', a world traveling musical Lindy dancing troop for over the last decade. At a luncheon last week at Bucca di Bebbe's,
    Terry and I got to talking about the dance scene in New York during the 1950's which I was familiar with since I often visited my family there during those years. When I explained how Swing dancing had been virtually replaced in New York City by the Latin dances and mentioned 'Crazy Joe' as one of the leading Latin dance teachers in 1952, Terry politely supplied me with then correct name, "Killer Joe". Terry was a preteener living in London in the 1950's. But this is just a minor example of Monaghan's encyclopedic knowledge of Lindy History. Three years ago he telephoned me for the first time, and told me that he had been trying to track me down for several years as part of his intensive research endeavors. Fortunately, Jean Phelps Veloz of "Groovy Movie" and "Swing Fever" fame gave Terry my phone number.
    From Terry, I also resolved another Lindy mystery; 'why the Europeans ended up dancing 'Classic Lindy' Style instead of 'West Coast Swing':
    "Don't Knock the Rock" was the 1957 film that first appeared in Europe over a decade ago, and was the impetus that created the Lindy Craze in Europe. And it was the style in that film, "Don't Knock the Rock" that the European dancers began to imitate, which happen to be Classic Lindy!. (I know because I was there...again!)
    On the other hand, the Swing movies of the 1940's became popular in Southern California, about the same time as DKTR in Europe, and the dancers in Southern California naturally imitated the dancers in the 1940's films who happened to be dancing 'West Coast Swing'.
    Just thought you'd like to know that tid bit of Lindy History, thanks to Terry Monaghan, Lindy Historian Extraordinaire! Email: terrymonaghan@yahoo.com Check his extraordinaire Lindy Video! What a trip!

See you all at Camp Hollywood July 31-August 3
    Black Sheep

2. d nice

d nice New Member

Interesting. Lennart Westerland and Eddie Jannson founding members of The Rhythm Hot Shots cite Hellzapoppin' as being the impetus for their foray into classic lindy hop. Anders the third leader of the troupe was working at a University and had informed them of the WLH dance scene and told them to they must see this movie.

Lennart says it was an epiphany. THey were so moved by the dancers that they immediately set about trying to learn everything about this dance, and the dancers in it they could discover... including a trip to Harlem... from Stockholm.

TRHS were one of Europes premiere dance troupes, traveling the world and bringing this style of dance as taught to them by Al Minns and Frankie Manning to thousands of people.

3. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Hi d nice,

Sounds like good information to me. I'm still curious of the characteristics of the Texas Tommy. As a move, I know it's the hand behing the back thing, but as a dance I know very little.

I don't think you're going to offend anyone when you're main goal is to be helpful. I'll bet Street Swing was one of the first results to come up on Google, but that certainly doesn't make it the best information. Thanks for you're contributions!

BTW, welcome to the Dance Forums!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Did you just suggest the Dnice uses streetswing.com (and Google) to do his research?? :lol:

-FF

5. DanceMentor

That's funny. Actually, I would be interested in learning more about d nice. He seems quite knowledgable. StreetSwing doesn't look THAT bad, does it? Actually, I was referring to this: http://www.dance-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=427

Is Balboa Nation your website? We haven't had a thread about Balboa yet.

6. d nice

d nice New Member

No ff the thread about Texas Tommy had a quote from streetswing by someone else.

And for the record... yes streetswing is that bad. I tried to get in touch with Sonny about updating or correcting some glaringly inaccuarate info on Lindy Hop... his response was laughter. Hey it isn't his dance... he has done little to no research on it, and certainly hasn't studied it in any real detail. However if you are going to talk about something, and you have the resources available... one would think that someone who wanted to give an honest accuarate accounting of lindy hop technique and history would make an attempt.

The info on Balboa is wrong, Texas Tommy is wrong, Shag is wrong... the West Coast info is pretty much correct from my understanding the last time I looked at it.

7. DanceMentor

That's unfortunate. I'm sure other sites will eventually outrank them as a result.

8. d nice

d nice New Member

Okay, I'm not really into posting bios online. I always try and back my statements up with sources that are available to interested parties. That way whether you think I know what I'm talking about you have the option of seeking the same info.

That said my name is Damon Stone, I live in Sacramento, CA. I've been dancing some version of vernacular jazz, solo and/or partnered, regularly (once a week or more) since 1989. Anything more than that you can get by asking around or doing a search on google. :D Not to be difficult, but self promotion just isn't my thing. I prefer my arguments or statements to be evaluated on their own merit rather than on some rep I may have aquired.

9. DanceMentor

Hi d nice,

I'm the same way, and you won't find much about me either. I was mostly curious about which areas you have studied, not necessarily who you are. Feel free to remove your name if you wish.

Balck Sheep wrote:
    And d nice wrote:
    That was my interpretation as well. I wonder if Black Sheep might have been referring to Rock n Roll. It is definitely clear that TRHS's were imitating Frankie Manning's dance troupe, but maybe Black Sheep can clarify.

10. d nice

d nice New Member

No, I don't care about people knowing my name. No big deal. I just don't like posting a bio to give me credibility.

I've done this, I've done that, now listen to what I have to say.

:roll:

Blech.