Swing Discussion Boards > Lindy Hop: Improving the "Swingout"

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Apache, Jan 15, 2009.

1. kayak

kayak Active Member

Hmmm, it must work because any WCS dance I go to, we are all stepping at precisely the same time unless we are playing with rhythms for some reason. I guess what we often refer to as the beat is actually the attack and not the interval.

If we talked about a beat being 1/2 second intervals, I would say we are supposed to be aligned over our feet on the second or the very beginning of the interval. Is that what you would say as well?

So I would say our body motion should bring both dancers aligned over their feet at 2.0 and not a situation where the guy gets there at 1.9 the lady at 2.1 and the hands at 2.0. I think even with a mear .2 seconds difference, the two dancers would look out of sync with each other.

2. kayak

kayak Active Member

music to maintain a strict staccato timing with your footwork is not your best bet.[/quote]

I heard a pretty good description this past weekend that gave a visual for leading with our centers that worked well for me. "The arms never create motion - They only suppress motion."

3. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Any suggestions on the lead's shaping on the fifth and or sixth count of the swing out? Am I supposed to be able to avoid losing balance if the follow's momentum takes them away from me? Which means a kind of pike position, with hips pulled back and shoulders over the feet (as opposed to in front of them)?

4. bookish

bookish Active Member

Most of the time, I don't think there's a good reason for the feet to be behind the shoulders in basic Lindy steps. It's not a very well balanced position, unless maybe you have a lot of linear compression or a chest connection.

For me, the catch and reversal of direction in a swingout is 3a4 and the beginning of 5. By the end of 5 and certainly 6 they should be moving past you and the connection should be disengaged, unless you're posting at the end of 6 to stop them going back too far.

It's common to use a little bit of counterbalance in the closed position in a swingout (4-5ish). In counterbalance your center of mass is behind your support foot. If your shoulders are too far forward, then even if your hips are back your mass overall might still be too far forward. I think the shoulders should be somewhere "between" the hips and feet. Also, many people are diagonal rather than square to each other in this position, which changes the geometry a bit.

Theoretically, followers should be controlling their own body weight and matching your amount or lack of counterbalance. Practically, many followers have one "default setting" and it is our job to work with that. And yes, some of them do try to pull you over... if your shoulder or wrist is hurting an alternative is to not catch them and do side passes... ;)

5. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I mostly follow but part of what makes swing outs feel really nice is having that bit of counter balance on the 4-5 ish which then gives the nice wheee! type "boing" feeling when the energy of that counterbalance is then released (I'm using very technical terms here obviously :p)