Swing Discussion Boards > Lindy Hop - Is It Thriving or Dying?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Spitfire, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

With regards to the traditional Lindy Hop movement which was going through a revival starting about six years ago; is it showing signs of declining or increasing?

I'm guessing that it depends on locality. I was reading a post on Yehoodi about six months ago expressing a concern that Lindy was loosing out to Salsa in New York.

What has happened here is that many of the Lindy Hoppers were students at the University of Arizona who have moved on after graduation and there are very few of them left and one of them expressed to me that he felt it would be dead here in a year's time.

While visiting Seattle in July I attended a dance at one of the big venues there and noticed a smaller crowd from what I saw last year and was told by someone that things had slowed down over the past year.

So how is it other areas of the country?

2. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I'm not sure. I'm not that in to the swing scene here in Arizona. Since you are from Tucson..do you know any places in the Phx area that are good for swing dancing?

3. Spitfire

MissAlyssa, here's the AZLS website which should include that information.
    Did you ever subscribe to that newsletter; the one I sent you the address for?

http://www.azls.com/

4. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I had a really good time at the Bash on Ash (in Tempe) when I was there a couple of years ago. I looked at the calendat and I didn't see and Lindy though, just salsa (nothing wrong with salsa).

5. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

No, I never got around to it. I can't find the link now.

6. Spitfire

Just sent it pm to you. :wink:

7. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

There is if it's replacing LINDY!!!!! :wink: just my opinion! HEE HEE

I think we have a nice little scene in CT... nothing like my impressions of LA or San Francisco, but strong, consistant, a mix of young and older, new and experienced, many fun dancers. I'm glad that I learned the dance here.

8. d nice

d nice New Member

Traditional Lindy Hop movement in the last four years has been dropping pretty drastically... even amongst those who "do lindy hop". Thank fully 2002 saw some real progression at stemming the tide, and this year most of the top dancers in the country are actively trying to "encourage" authentic lindy movement in the social and competitive areanas.

I think this may not be what you meant. I don't think the dance identified as lindy hop in all of its "forms" is dying out. I keep finding out about little scenes in the middle of no where.

9. Spitfire

Just a comment here.

As far as Lindy Hop and the ballroom studios go I know that the studios here are not doing much with Lindy. This is due to the lack of demand for it.

The studio I attend did offer classes, but dropped them due to lack of attendance.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

In Pittsburgh we'd have the student numbers, but most of the studio teachers keep leaving the city for work/housing related issues :lol:

However, the current dancers have laid down a great groundwork that's inviting and educational on the dance floor, and we've seen Lindy Hop grow in more ways than one.

With the high-college area around here, we have lots of seasonal dancers, so we're pretty steady the last several years, if not growing!

-FF

11. Black Sheep

Black Sheep New Member

Pennsdylvania & Lindy Hop

Funkyfreak,
    I'm not surprised to hear the Lindy Hop craze is growing in your city. Many New Yorkers, some childhood friends, moved to Philadelphia and I'm sure they have teenage grandchildren as I have and are influencing or actually teaching them the Classic style of Savoy Lindy Hop.
    Out here in Southern California they have begun 'using' the words, 'Lindy Hop' but the free form of Joshua Jive WCS is gaining ground and the words 'Lindy Hop' are of commercial value to attract students only.
    Three years ago, when I came out with my book titled, 'Lindy by Lanza', the words Lindy were rarely heard. Now every teacher is holding Lindy classes, but still teaching WCS under the name Lindy.
    I hope to see the day when the Savoy Lindy Hop is once again taught in its authentic style with the techniques that make it a super dance (these techniques are described in my book). However, I have to admit, I am increasingly impressed with the innovative offshoot of the Lindy called WCS, Joshua Jive interpretive dancing. I am sure that this Western California style of dancing deserves recognition as a unique dance different from the Lindy Hop. Which do I this think is better? Both the WCS and the Savoy style Lindy to me deserve equal status as super dances. Modern Jazz has always had an influence on Lindy dancing, but with WCS, modern Jazz has become WCS, and that why I think it deserves a more unique (different) name than just WCS. And that's why I prefer calling it the 'Joshua Jive'; it's more appropriate and I like the euphonic sound...JOSHUA JIVE...Yeah!
    Black Sheep, call me ambiguous.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Cool, there have been many arguements from people, like you, who are saying that recent changes in dance require a new name for a dance. It's the topic of heated debates on swing forums everywhere, to little resolve.

The one thing with the name, though, is that the style you're refering to is done nation-wide in America, and has been one of the more popular, long-term styles since the latest revival.

-FF

13. Spitfire

In those areas where LH is in decline what may also be at work is the fact that LH is a vintage dance that was replaced by it's modified forms ECS and WCS. This as a result of changes in the music and thus the latter two became and remain the more contemporary forms and instruction in these two is more widely available.

That's just a guess on my part and not neccessarily true of every area. :)

14. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

Lindy is practically non-existent in RI, but seems to be doing well in CT.

15. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Old, old thread, juwest, but this as good a place to start as any. :)

How's the lindy scene where you are?

16. juwest333

juwest333 Active Member

It seems to fluctuate back and forth. My main venue that I go to has on average about 120+ people or so (with about 20-30 regulars). A few other venues in my area have been growing though. WCS and ECS isn't all too popular around here. There's sort of a divide/rivalry between the three. lol

17. pygmalion

Around here, t seems to be a mix -- lindy, balboa, charleston, and shag. The inexpensive public dances are sponsored by "The Swing Society." I guess there's not enough support for any one dance to break it out, so the classes alternate. *shrug*

18. juwest333

juwest333 Active Member

I would LOVE to learn Balboa, but there are no consistent teachers around here. You will see some people dancing to Balboa though. I only know the basic steps. Which swing dancing do you normally partake in?

19. pygmalion

I dance swing mostly in a few bars/clubs near where I live, so it's kinda hard to categorize. I'm going to go with a mix of WCS, ECS (which I backlead lol,) and some cousin of blues (unless I have to pull out my baseball bat and bop somebody over the head. lol)

I live in Texas, so a lot of it is country-flavored. :)

20. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

Oh... so you are the one.

( Gosh.... If there were only one :) )