Swing Discussion Boards > Lindy hop on a super slidy floor = wcs & carolina shag?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Siggav, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

This is sort of amusing. Here's a really fun lindy video. The dancers are Max Pitruzzella and Thomas Blacharz. I've posted videos of them dancing before. They are both travelling international lindy hop teachers and have been for years

In this clip they're dancing as a mini show at a dance event and they're dancing fairly slow lindy and the are on a very very slidy floor.

The video went slightly viral on facebook so went out of the core lindy community and suddenly there were a bunch of people in the comments talking about the nice WCS and carolina shag being danced.

I think it just shows how related the dances actually are but it's quite amusing and the clip is fun

MaggieMoves and raindance like this.
  2. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Definitely looked like all Lindy to me. Maybe some basic WCS movement here and there... but hasn't it always existed in Lindy anyway?

3. ralf

ralf Member

Well, WCS did evolve from Lindy Hop. Ignoring stylistic differences, the big changes are dropping all Charleston-derived moves, largely eliminating the pulse, adding a slot, and changing the timing of the swingout (one can think of a WCS whip as a Lindy swingout compressed into six counts with a two-count anchor added to the end). Stylistic differences are huge nowadays, though that wasn't always the case -- although WCS started in the 1950s, as recently as the 1980s, you'd have to pay close attention to the dancers to determine whether they were doing Lindy or WCS.