Swing Discussion Boards > Lindy Hoppers . . . Little Help . . .

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Vince A, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Ok, I've decided to take LH privates right after Christmas, and have begun making arrangements with a very, very, very qualified dancer/instructor.

Since I have a dance floor at my house, I want to get the basic steps to feel a little natural before heading off to the lessons.

So, what are they? I've heard . . . step, step, triple step, step, step, triple step.

Correct? Putting that into MY footwork, is that:

Left, Right, Left Right Left, Right, Left, Right Left Right, . . . and so on?

8-count? L, R, LRL, R, L, RLR or 1, 2, 3&4, 5, 6, 7&8??? Or 6-count???

The reason I'm asking is because I've read so much about 6-count and 8-count Lindy.

2. foursquare

foursquare New Member

6 count for the boys:

Left foot triple step (LRL) counted as 1 and 2
    Right foot triple step (RLR) counted as 3 and 4
    Left foot rock step (LR) counted as 5-6

8 count for the boys (a little harder to explain because you're sort of going in a circle):

Open position, left foot rock step (LR) counted as 1-2
    Rotating couple 180 degrees into closed for left foot triple step (LRL) counted as 3 and 4
    Rotating couple another 180 degrees with right foot going around in back of you to turn (RLR) so you finish in starting position (open), left foot ahead of right foot counted as 5-6-7
    Weight already on right foot, so a little hop onto right foot then left foot (RL) counted as "and 8". Think "da-da" when you do it. Kind of a little hitch step.

Rinse, lather, repeat.

This is how I've been taught, at least. YMMV.

foursquare

3. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

The Lindy Hop basic is an 8-count move (and is often referred to as a "Swing Out" or "Lindy Circle". You dance WCS. It's very similar to the 8 count whip, but there will be some differences in execution.

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

www.ballroomdancers.com, (under learn a new dance step, social dances, newcomer syllabus,) shows some basic lindy moves if you are interested in seeing what it is like. You can use the slider in the media viewer to see foot placement etc. :)

5. d nice

d nice New Member

Think basic whip footwork from wcs.

There will be three main differences...

1. there is no "slot" in the west coast meaning of the term, what there is, is shared by the dancers not owned by the follower.

2. there is no "anchor step" instead both partners move "away" from each other until there is a light tension between you and your partner. It creates an "anchor" but it is done because of movement and tension not by rote.

3. there is no flashlighting. The connection between leader and follower is more "raw" the follower can be lead in a left side pass and depending on the firmness of her frame may actually face away from her partner for several counts, until she reaches the end of her "tether" (her frame has become fully engaged) and then the connection makes her face the leader... she does not turn on her own.

The rhythms used in wcs and lindy hop are identical (assuming you are using a swung triple step), lindy hop reverses the dominance though, mostly eight counts with six counts thrown in for variety and to interact with things in the music.

6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Wow . . . thanks for all the quick replies :D

I am in my office right now trying to see if I can do this or not, and it does feel like WCS. :doh:
    Just have to remember . . . NO SLOT! :?

One last question . . . Lindy music tempo, bpm, low to high :?:

Thanks in advance . . . :bouncy:

Vince

7. d nice

d nice New Member

Well it spans from 120-320 bpm. This is why there are a number of technical differences from wcs. WCS does not really work without modification beyond say 190 bpm (and you have to be stellar to take it that high).

The average tempo range for lindy hop tends to be about 135-175 bpm.

8. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Thanks . . . 190, eh??? That's fast for a WCs. I've caught "Burning Love" once in a Jack and Jill . . . it's about 180. We all just turned and looked at the DJ and gave him the 'thumbs down.' I actually used that music in ECS for lower speed practices . . .

I can do that 135-175!

9. d nice

d nice New Member

WIth lindy hop under your belt you'll find yourself able to dance wcs much faster than you previousely could...

It'll give you a better understanding of what is necessary for wcs and what are assumed elements that are more style derivitive than part of the dance.

The one thing wcs always seemed surprised at is when lpeople who started out with lindy can hit the floor to really fast wcs music at their level and not have a drop in musicality or execution of technique from the way they dance at slower tempos. The songs just aren't fast to us.

135-175 shouldn't be a problem for you at all.

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Got Carolyn out on our dance floor this weekend, and went over some of these "tips," and after about 10 minutes of going over things, which included some step-by-step printouts of Lindy from ballroomdancers.com, she says, "Hey, this is ECS!"

Think we'll wait for the privates . . .

11. MNswing

MNswing New Member

I'm pretty much just a lindy girl... I've always been taught that it's an 8-count dance (i know there is some 6-count too)... but I've always been taught it's the same footwork for leads and follows. Step step triple-step step step triple-step (1, 2, 3&4, 5, 6, 7&8.) The lead just steps back on 1 and the follow steps forward. The back step on one makes the follow step forward and go into the swing-out. It's pretty neat how it works so well. What I've noticed from leads, is they don't put there hand right on the middle of my back (where the bra strap is), then I can't lean into the hand, and there is no AWESOME momentum feeling... too sad. So, that would be my biggest tip. Without the momentum, the swing-out just isn't the same!!! That momentum will also help you to be able to spin w/ your partner while keeping your foot on the ground (sweeping)... if that makes sense! Anyway, I LOVE LINDY!! And I love to meet new people that want to learn :D

12. d nice

d nice New Member

You might be closer than you think... Lindy Hop spawned both East and West Coast Swing. Waiting until you have some instruction is perfectly sensible, you don't want to instill any bad habits into your dancing.

For anyone interested in picking up lindy hop or west coast swing, or brushing up on the skills they have my studio is running a pretty neat workshop on Dec. 27th for those in the Sacramento/Foot Hills/Bay Area.

Here is the Dance Forums Announcment

13. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I agree with the 'waiting and being sensible' . . .

I just sent the info that you provided for the Pre New Year's Workshops and Dance . . . to my wife (at work). I think she is off that week and I know she has canceled going to World's this year, so we might give this a go. Might do the 13th as well . . .

And, you have some pretty good WCS people too . . . might be tough to choose between the WCS stuff and learning the Lindy!

Thanks . . .
    Vince