Swing Discussion Boards > Little Known Facts For Leaders

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Vince A, Jul 12, 2004.

1. suek

suek New Member

words of wisdom(?) from a student of lead/follow

If "lead" means to go first (you could look it up), it also means (to me) that the lead must be timely and committed. I am learning to lead now and I see that when my lead is uncommitted, or incomplete, my follower doesn't know what I want or where I want his or her body to move.

Also, speaking now as a follower: lead me with your body, your core--not your arms! I think the WCS dancers in the group might not agree. Maybe the lindy hoppers and balboa dancers will be the only ones who get what I mean. Them and the Argentine Tango-ers.

Here's a hint for the leaders: My job as a follower is to step underneath myself and wait wait wait for the lead to tell me where and how to move. No anticipation. No "I know this move, I'm supposed to go forward and then turn around on the 3and4 and then move the other way." No! Even a lindy hop swingout can have multiple flavas and be changed, altered, turned inside out and morphed into something else and if I'm following (coming after) and not anticipating and keeping my footwork/rhythm, wonderful things can happen.

2. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Re: words of wisdom(?) from a student of lead/follow

WHOA WHOA WHOA.... Not so fast! As a westie dancer, I absolutely agree you must lead with your center/core, not your arms. As a ballroomer, I agree. Maybe you don't need to if you're a novice contra dancer. Or grinder.

3. jon

jon Member

Who have you been learning WCS from? Leading with your center is one of the most fundamental techniques in the dance.

4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Same for ballroom and salsa as well!!! :shock:

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

suek,
    I was going to join the group and gang up on you, but I think you got what they said? Besides, I may have to Lindy w/you some day???

6. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Ack! I certainly didn't mean to "gang up" on SueK in case that's how it came across! :oops: :oops: :oops:

And I'd certainly agree that any number of dancers fail to do this -- in all styles I'm sure -- but, ideally, I think that leading from the center is fundamental to all partnered dancing.

7. suek

suek New Member

Phew! Was it good for you? The gang-bang?

Kidding aside, I wish you guys were my WCS partners.

No that doesn't state it right, either.

It's different; in WCS a lighter (presumptive?) lead is used. I often get looked at askance by my lead in WCS because I haven't moved forward when all I've felt has been very light, leadwise. (If I moved forward with that small amount of lead in lindy hop, I'd get even more of a "look"! As in hey I didn't led you yet!) I don't have the same "communication problem" in Carolina Shag, which has a totally unique lead/follow communication going on. Sigh. I'm sure it's me.

8. jon

jon Member

I'd agree that generally WCS leads are lighter than Lindy, with the caveat that it of course can vary by style and region - frex country-based WCS dancers, IME, are likely to have heavier connections. Perhaps the tempo differences in the favored music for Lindy and WCS bear on this as well; more speculative here, but as I dance to faster music, it feels more natural to use a stronger lead (unless dancing with a Ferrari, rather than a Honda :)). In any event, this is a different issue from arm leads.

Not sure how you mean "presumptive"?

9. suek

suek New Member

Frex?
    As in the lead twitches his/her hand and it's presumed that I will come forward. Bends his/her arm and it's presumed I will execute a side pass. This sounds coarser than I intend; I don't have the vocabulary to state the fine distinctions and Damon--my best interpreter--is sunning his self in Hawaii. Dance with me and I'll illustrate my point; I'm better at the visceral than the verbal.

10. jon

jon Member

"for example".

There is a continuum between adapting to lighter leads than you're used to, and telepathically interpreting nonexistent leads, although of course as a follower you are under pressure to do both :)

I don't get to Sacramento often, but maybe we'll intersect at Two Left Feet sometime.

11. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Man who dance in sweater and never wash it repel partner.

12. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Woman who dance in gown and never wash it "because the stones would fall off" ___________ ____________?

13. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

jon and suek,
    If you all decide to go to Two Left Feet someday, let me know? Care and I go there a lot. Scorpianguy wants to try it too . . .

14. Smooth and steady will please a lady.

15. MapleLeaf Salsero

MapleLeaf Salsero New Member

Is she limps or calls an ambulance after the dance, you may consider being a little less rough.

16. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Man who slip on dancefloor and fall flat on face have crack up!

Think about it . . .

17. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

:shock: :lol: :wink:

18. suek

suek New Member

1. After ganging up on me now you want to dance with me? (joke.)
    2. what's 2 left feet? when and where and what kind of dancing?

19. suek

suek New Member

oh if it's the one in Danville I just found in google, that has WCS on Saturdays, no wonder I've never heard of it.

Is that the one you mean?

20. Sakura

Sakura New Member

Man (or Leader) who helps woman (or Follow) through move she/he doesn't undestand/do well is well praised.

Having Fun is main goal of Dancing.

Man who angers woman should beware of high heels. :twisted:

Sakura Kitty :kitty: