Live Green Smoothies

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Nov 29, 2006.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Okay, upon request, am happy to share info regarding what live green smoothies are, why I'm crazy about them, and how to make them! :)

I think GREENS are a special entity unto their own -- to my mind, they should be their own food group. Heavily mineralized, alkalizing, detoxifying, builders (rich in amino acids), and filled with living enzymes that, especially when combined with fresh fruit, seem to work absolute magic in the the body.

To make a Live Green Smoothie:
    • Into a blender, toss a large handful of raw dark greens (spinach, parsley, arugala, and baby romaine are good starting choices). Two cups of greens is a good rough measurement to get a feel for the amount.
    • Add some sweet fruit to taste (a couple bananas, a mango, a couple pears, etc)
    • Add spring water to the point where the mixture won't explode out & all over your kitchen.
    • Blend til smooth -- may 30-60 seconds. Adding a few ice cubes can help things along, and I'm partial to drinking my smoothies on the cool side.
    • Pour your smoothie into transportable containers with some ice, rinse your blender out with water (forget the soap...), and hit the road!
    So many benefits to drinking these, but the proof is in the smoothie, so-to-speak. Gotta try them to see. :)

[edited note: there are so many variations to this basic recipe, and lots of goodies one can add... i think the possibilities are virtually infinite!
    the one rule, though: absolutely nothing cooked or canned. and, while i do occasionally add frozen berries, "frozen" is definitely not "live".] :D

Happy blending!
    Samina
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

am going to the grocery store tonight or tomorrow morning and tomorrow begins the experiment
  3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yay! can't wait to hear about it :)

(go out before the snow comes...!)
  4. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

Will it work if I add soy (edamame beans) to it?
  5. alemana

alemana New Member

i just eat my greens. i love them. drinking them - i dunno. i don't get why.
  6. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Just be careful - during the e.coli - contaminated spinach problem, one of the deaths was of a young boy who had his spinach in the form of such a smoothie.

Not that it was making it into a smoothie that was the problem (except perhaps by increasing the quantity). Or even that it was spinach - raw food, especially that has been handled, presents some risk along with its benefits.

(Would irradiating it break your rule?)
  7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

if you can sprout fresh edamame, go to it... i add sprouts all the time. sprouts have many, many times the nutrition of the eventually mature plant.

i believe raw, unsprouted beans are virtually inedible/undigestible. and, i believe, most edamame i've purchase have been both cooked & frozen.

personally, i stay away from soy in most forms. i attribute my having put on an unbelievable amount of weight in a short period of time to an over-consumption of soy products. soy is a phyto-estrogen in the body, and can contribute to creating an estrogen-dominant system, which is thyroid-inhibiting.

read: radically slows down your ****bolism and prematurely ages you. it was a very traumatic experience for me, one i wouldn't wish on anyone else and which i have no interest in repeating.

fwiw, i also do not add protein powders or dairy products of any kind to these smoothies.
  8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

you'd be surprised. it's a mind-blower how delicious these can be! :)
  9. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

Is this gender specific? I've been drinking protein shakes, esp. soy based ones, for 2+ years. Combined with regular workouts and cautious nutrition balancing, it's been very healthy for me.
  10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Certainly, everyone has to take care regarding the cleanliness of their food supply. Most people do not really pay attention to that.

Perhaps contaminated food supplies are more related to an overall unwholesome approach to food cultivation than to anything else. I'm not an activist in that regard, tho -- I'll leave debate of that issue to the industry watchdogs & political bulldogs. <g>

I personally would not eat food that I knew was irradiated. Purchasing from smaller, well-known producers is for me a more sensible solution.
    :)
  11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yeah, it's definitely pertinent for women.

and if what you're doing works for you, why change? :)

if you try making the live green smoothies, tho, you might want to try them soy-free, to see if they have any added value to what you're already doing.
  12. alemana

alemana New Member

i'm not more careful with the Food Scare of the Week than i am with anything else - gotta take a long view of these things.

marion nestle has a big chapter about soy in her latest, WHAT TO EAT, and does a great lit survey of the conflicting evidence on soy in the diet. her conclusion: inconclusion.
  13. fascination

meh, life's fatal...can't cover all the bases...rinse your veggies and go
  14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yeah, alemana, i can't think of anything dietwise that doesn't seem to be debated somewhere. :)

i go by what works for me & what doesn't. and i don't think there's one pat approach that's meant for everyone, in the same way, at all times, y'know?

i'm also very *un*neutoric about food -- i don't have a lot of rules, and i don't want to live in a way that makes me obsess about food.

in that context, processed soy products (soy proteins, anything made with "soy isolate", etc.) are for me perhaps the only thing i absolutely have, to the best of my ability, removed from my diet. no debater could ever change my mind on that account. lol
  15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yep-yep!
  16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

well, actually, fast-food retaurants have also ceased to intersect with my reality... but that's just something that happens naturally i think, when you increasingly clean up your food. that stuff just starts to taste so fake & nasty...
  17. fascination

cept for taco bell(occasionally)
  18. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

:cool: :rolleyes: I've always thought Taco Bell tasted fake, but that doesn't stop me from eating there (occasionally) LOL

Taco Time and Taco Bell both came to my neighborhood about the same time in the 70's and, though Taco Time seemed closer to "authentic", I always liked Taco Bell better.
  19. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

Hmmm. Regarding the Live Green Smoothies, I'll have to give it a try. As a matter of course, I hate eating green things. They taste too much like grass to me. (Yes, I tried lawn grass (as opposed to the other type) when I was a child)

Maybe with a bunch of bananas and pears I'll be able to bear them.

I do used canned pears in my smoothies. I freeze them and use them instead of ice cubes to make the smoothies cold.
  20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Where's the puking emoticon?