Tango Argentino > Londoners

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Heather2007, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Pablo Veron will be teaching at Negrachas this coming Friday. Class starts at 8pm.

2. calandra

calandra New Member

My take on the Friday PV workshop: it was like cattle being herded at an abbatoir. Although the step was very simple, there wasn't even room to walk it was so crowded. Was the Saturday workshop any better?

3. Twirly

Twirly New Member

The Friday class was an open class for anyone. The workshops on Saturday were for a limited number of people, so I should think they were more useful. I'd like to know how they were too. Did anyone go?

4. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

I didn't attend the workshop but I did attend the pre-milonga class on Friday night. The theory was good but trying to squeeze a 3-4 hour workshop into an hour's class? He should've kept the long lectures to a minimum and just thrown a set pattern at the students to get on with. And of course, his voice being so gentle it was quite difficult for most to understand what it was he was saying. At the 40 minute mark, I completely zoned out and went for a fag break and returned at the end of the class.

It was my first time back at Negrachas in almost a year - is it me, or has the sizz gone out of Negrachas as well as standard of dancing having dropped somewhat?

5. Twirly

Twirly New Member

Well ... I wasn't there on Friday, so ...

(insert smiley with insane laugh)

6. Twirly

Twirly New Member

NOOOO! OK, so I wasn't there but I absolutely hate it when they just teach you a pattern. That's why I don't go to classes very much anymore. (Actually, you can delete the "very much" part...)

Did he have anything in particular of interest to say?

7. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Very much so. He concentrated the lesson on the hold, the connection, movement etc. but with an accent that was heavy (sometimes in Spanish as well as French) along with very quiet, some admitted later that they found it hard to focus on what it was that he was saying. A little talk then allowing the students to then let their bodies do the talking and repeating this exercise at speed than overkilling the lecture would've been better. Again, excellent topic but the delivery was a bit zzzzzzzzzzz!

A wonderful teacher - Veronique Bouscasse - will be teaching at the Crypt this Saturday and like PV focuses on the connection, feel, the leader's invitation to dance, then hold etc. Her teaching is crisp and clear and she's a beauty to watch. Highly recommended if you can make it.

8. Twirly

Twirly New Member

Thanks for the info! I know of Véronique and have heard very good things. Don't think I can make it on Saturday, but hopefully she'll be teaching elsewhere too.

9. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Shoes by the River

Encounter by The Thames
    COMME IL FAUT
    Undeniably The World’s Best Tango Shoes
    This Saturday at
    Dance Matrix Tango Reading: Tango Nirvana
    www.tangonirvana.co.uk
    In our opinion, one of the nicest, friendliest and most courteous bunch of Tango dancers and a gem of a milonga that is becoming no longer quite such a hidden gem, which is why we’ll be there, and this time with the Comme il Faut shoes. Great programme including workshops and a show by Cesar y Carolina and dancing into the starlit night by the starlit Thames.
    Email us at central@coleccionlarecoleta.com
    Check the web at www.coleccionlarecoleta.com/cif-limitededitions.htm
    Comme Il Faut Shoes 020 8372 8150
    Krissy 07903 244085
    Angela 07828 408644

10. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

A wonderful place to check out..

A beautiful lunchtime Sunday Milonga (3pm-7pm). Situated above a wonderful pub (The Adelaide on Adelaide Road) in Chalk Farm - spitting distance from the fashionistas of Primrose Hill. The milonga is run by Tony Walker (as ever, his music is a superb fusion of new, old, non-tango/tango) and his partner, Richard. The tango room itself beautifully designed and immediately sets you in a picture of a 1940s Parisienne tea-room with dainty tables and chairs around which to eat the superb cream gateaux and coffee and tea that comes with the entry free - £9. It is held on the last Sunday of each month (apart from the Sunday 6th slot).

A Followers? It attracted the best of of the best on the London circuit - i.e. real gents, so ALL the girlies get to dance.

11. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Discovery Tango on the Radio at Easter

Sunday 23 March 2008 17:00-18:30 (Radio 3)

Topic - Discovering Music: Tango

Featuring: Charles Hazlewood is joined by the quintet, Tango Volcano and members of the BBC Concert Orchestra to explore the world of the tango

12. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

does anyone know a way of recording this as I shall be on the road at the time.?

13. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Your cable TV will have it.

14. bordertangoman

:confused:

15. kieronneedscake

kieronneedscake New Member

Or freeview for that matter. In that regard you should be able to set your video for it, like any TV programme.

Lastly, since it's a BBC broadcast, there is every possibility you will be able to download through the BBCs iPlayer, or otherwise stream it from their website in retrospect. Worth looking into perhaps?

16. kieronneedscake

kieronneedscake New Member

17. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

You obviously don't have Cable. I'm with Virgin TV. They carry Radio 1, 2, 3 and 4. (No faces, just the radio presenter voiceovers - yep, technology's got that good).

18. bordertangoman

Thank you for all replies. I will try the streaming thingy.

19. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

All clear now :rolleyes:

20. bordertangoman

In my day it was just a case of putting a mike from the cassette recorder into or in front of the radio; setting it to record; and setting the timeswitch on the wall ( or a relative) to switch it on. So easy.