Tango Argentino > Londoners

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Heather2007, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Careful mate, you're giving away your age:grin:

2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Many a new tune..... as they say.

3. spectator

spectator Member

I used to do that too, those were the days... until bloody radio 1 DJs started talking over the beginning/end of the song.

4. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Apparently there's a combination salsa / tango 12-hour session on the 19th in London - but I can't find a link to it. :headwall:

I believe that Bianca of rojoynegro is running it, but there's nothing on her site - anyone have any details?

5. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

I've found it -
    http://www.londonsalsa.co.uk/eventDetails.php?eventID=333

Hmmm... looks interesting. It's almost worth going just to see how the salsa / AT crowd mixes (or doesn't). Certainly it's a novel thing to try, I can't remember seeing a combination like this in London before.

6. smeagoluk

smeagoluk New Member

I would love to learn real Tango,however i am short 5'7" is that going to be a problem also how hard for complete novices is it?i do however dance Balboa and although a completely different dance is very difficult.Also i'm a retrospective learner...................Paul

7. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Can't compare it to Balboa, and don't know what a restrospective learner is. But to answer your questions: You're plenty tall enough. And everyone started somewhere.

8. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

I'm similarly titchy - it's not really a problem.

From what little I understand of Balboa, a lot of the techniques should transfer over nicely (hold, connection, lead and so on).

9. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Your height will certainly NOT be a problem. In fact at 5.7 you are ideal for most ladies who more often than not stand at around your height with or without heels and thus is ideal for the close hold (cheek to cheek).

Learning it - (like most things be it learning a new language or other skill) studying Tango is classroom structure based and so with a good teacher any novice will be able to reach a competent level. Never, ever - like many people that I've spoken to expect to be "brilliant" from the outset. You may be brilliant at it one day but to have that thought as your mantra daily at the beginning stages can hold you back and believe frustrate the hell uot of you and you don't want to turn into one of those trainspotting-type anoraks of which there is too much already ;).

Classes (I'm assuming you're in London):

NEGRACHAS in Holborn hold classes on a Friday from 7.30 at 3 levels - beginners, post-beginners and intermediate followed by a milonga (social dance).

THE WELSH CENTRE - Gray's Inn Road, WC1 - (proper name can be found under 'tangotheargentinoway' if you Dougal it.

THE CRYPT in Clerkenwell hold beginner classes on a Monday taught by two very good (patient) teachers.

ZERO HOUR in Tufnell Park hold beginner classes on a Monday as well as on a Wednesday (Wed: there is also a milonga).

These are the centralised classes that I can recommend (I dareway there are more and good ones) as well as many others in surrounding areas.

Feel free to send me a PM whenever.

H:cheers:

10. smeagoluk

smeagoluk New Member

I would like to find somewhere to go.I am a dj in London too i play a lot of old Jazz ,swing Rhythm and Blues but also Latin too.I have a large collection of old 78's that i play on old 1930's dj decks.I have some very old Tango music here at home which is probably in the early part of last century the teens i would think.I also have a lot of old 30's 40's Rhumba,Son,Calypso,Conga and so on all on 78's that i play.Trouble is i don't know the Authentic dance to it all ,and just end up wriggling about to it lol.There are many underground club nites in the city that do all sorts of strange music.The one to look out for is the black cotton club on next weekend (not this coming weekend) you can find them on myspace.It is a darn good night.If you decide to go give me a shout as we could meet up and talk about dance as i would like to learn more about Latin.Also i need to know where to go,i am recently seperated so need to find a new lady dance partner who has no preconceptions about forms of dance but just wants to learn as much as possible............Paul

11. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Read something in one of those throwaway freebies that are currently taking set against the environmentalists. AT combining rumba and the cha-cha. New students are treated with a free glass of champers. I confess, for that alone I did consider it.
    :cheers:

12. smeagoluk

smeagoluk New Member

no not in London but i travel in all the time........Paul

13. bordertangoman

HMM, I went to a class where some a couple who taught Latin and included AT amidst rhumba salsa and cha.

horrendous; like trying to read a book looking through the wrong end of a telescope.

And have tried to dance with intoixciated partners maybe the champagne should be a reward proffered at the end of the class rather than the beginning!

14. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Oooooo - my kinda music. Where in London do you JayJay?

15. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Or maybe the organisers are just peeps who know how to turn a frown upside down. :)

16. bordertangoman

so you learn to do handstands too?

17. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Yeah, that's a bit ambitious. Like teaching French, Spanish, Italian - and then Klingon.

Or both :)

18. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Nothing wrong with handstands, matey. Teaches you great balance.

19. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

I'm sure there are schoolteachers in Switzerland that teach Italian, German, French as well as English in a one-day period. Aaaah, the English. Luv 'em. No head for multi-tasking. Bless!

20. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

PB's back in town

This Friday 25th - Pablo Veron will be teaching a Master Class

Venue: Negracas (7.30 to 9)
    Theme: Change of Direction and Rhymithical Dynanics
    Brace yourself: 20 quid for class & milonga.
    Prepare yourself: it'll be packed