Tango Argentino > Londoners

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Heather2007, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Absolutely!! And my sis comes to mind. Her words "why Heather. What on earth...". Yup, she thinks the music is "absolute pooh". Decided to take her to Negrachas once (what was I thinking) hoping the entire experience would seduce her. Ten minutes after arriving, she collected her coat and bag and left.

Her mood after that experience: :shock:

Her mood a year after that experience: :shock:

My brother's mood towards me after hearing of her experience: :confused:

2. calandra

calandra New Member

I agree that the silent music is a bit strange. If they are only doing the event at 7 stations and expect to have a critical mass of dancers at each one, surely a boombox makes more sense.

As it appears necessary to have (i) an ipod and (ii) a partner, alas, I will not be participating.

3. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Aaaah - but not strange if we remember that it is for each other for whom we dance and not the audience. :together:

4. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Mmm, I think it's mainly just a trendy gimmick, to show that we're Down With The Cool Dudes or whatever the saying is now. Actually, I think the whole thing looks overambitious, gimmicky and poorly-organised; the music section of the site is non-existent, and the site design itself is both annoying and unhelpful.

Plus, the "7 bridges / 7 stations" thing seems way OTT (there aren't that many AT dancers in London),

Plus, it's not clear whether the music will be broadcast or individual - so, will everyone be dancing to literally a different tune?

Still, if you're going to spend public money, spending it on Tango is fine by me. I just wish it were spent more effectively is all.

5. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

And you know what Londoners are like. They'll either point and take the pee or grump and shove their way through the dancers in order to catch the 17.48 to Sevenoaks.

6. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

or shout " get a ballroom!"

7. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

:rocker:Good one, and I wonder how many times that one will be shouted - ha, ha, ha.

8. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

I think you have vastly overestimated the wit of the average London commuter.

9. calandra

calandra New Member

And with good reason. If any tango commute couple obstructs my way to the train, I will have no problem sacadaing them out of the way.

10. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Are you kidding? Yesterday: on the 18.10 to Orpington. There was the woman opposite, the man beside her, the man beside him, the woman across the aisle and finally the annoying drunk. And of course there was me. Language ripe to the hilt. The air was so sharp the air was bleeding. And not a smile in sight. Until said drunk got off of course.

11. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

When I posted the link, perhaps I should have posted this as well. My UK friend sent this with it.....

About tangocommute - initially London based. Now it is about to go global, starting in America and will be employed to mark 9/11. Here in UK, Tango clubs and groups have been involved supplying the dual listening earlplugs, downloaded music and teaching safety aspects of dancing outside. It has also generated lots of interest from people outside the tango culture, many wanting to learn to dance tango so that they could take part.

I (my friend, but I as well) do not promote that tango should become a political activity - but used thus, I think it is OK and has the potential to create and generate good.

12. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

...but not amongst the non-tango'ing-Square-Mile population. They are a different breed. They can't get home - pavement rage ensues :doh:

13. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Oh, I'm all for the idea - I just have doubts about the execution.

And I love the "tango-in-the-open-air" thing - there are several of these on in London over the next few months, I hope to be at lots of them, it's a special experience.

Blimey, it's just a dance. :D

14. calandra

calandra New Member

Ha, I note this tango commute thing is sponsored by the Mayor of London. Wish I could ask big old Boris J to be my partner - with that mop of hair there would be little worry of a sweaty forehead (unlike predecessor Ken).

15. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Quite!

Boris is a brick isn't he? Luv 'im:cheers:

16. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Shame Clive James isn't taking part. Does he still tango anywhere in London?

Hmmm, looking at the launch video (on Facebook), I can't help thinking that it's just going to annoy commuters rather than inspire them. I know, call me Mr Cynical...

17. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

You could be being a wee bit cynical there DB. That said, as long as they don't end up blocking any access points (i.e. pub, stations, pub) the Square Milers will be cool. And remember, Londoners love to gape at anything they consider takethepssable.:)

Not sure about Clive - is he still alive??

18. kieronneedscake

kieronneedscake New Member

Never mind the commuters, it seems to have got a few people in a flap in the tango community too if the tango uk mailing list is anything to go by.

I must confess I would be a bit weirded out by seeing silent dancing out of context. Just so long as its not a fiasco.

19. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Really? What are they in a flap about - I thought any excuse to parade themselves to the swarm of the rush hour would be paradise lit up in 4-D:p

Silent dancing can be quite moving (jazz/ballet in mime without music is beautiful to watch) but it has to be done well in order to reach the onlooker at soul level.

20. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Free Tango Event at the Southbank - 23 Aug

OUTSIDE THE THE ROYAL NATIONAL THEATRE -THE SOUTH BANK

SATURDAY 23RD AUGUST/ Free event.

6-00pm

With Del Plata's ensemble of classically trained musicians brought together by their shared passion for the music of Astor Piazzolla

Website nationaltheatre.org.uk or wander along and pick up a prog they are normally in a rack either inside or outside the national theatre. Or ring 020 7 452 3400 or 7452 3000.