Tango Argentino > Londoners

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Heather2007, Nov 14, 2007.

1. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I went to the workshop 4 hours and it was brilliant;

it frees up your movement; grounds, you improves the physical connection so it becomes far more dynamic. and echnaging energy.

In other words it was pretty wonderful!

:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM575qk7l2U

watch stuff here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mumuj2rtd2Y

2. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Never been but hear its very good, so probably worth giving it a try.

And, and, and another challenge for me. Is that Susan Hayward in Red Slippers or Red Shoes or Red Something in your piccy. Hmm ??

3. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

It's the lovely Moira Shearer in Powell and Pressburger's The Red Shoes...... You mean you've not seen The Red Shoes??? :eek: I'ts a must see!! :D

4. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

See below ad: If you've never been to Balham I highly recommend it. The venue is stunning. And of course for me it stands out more so because it has a pub downstairs and a wonderful beer garden out back:rolleyes:.

On the other hand: you can take advantage of the good weather this weekend and do what I'm going to do - pee off off to the countryside for a spot of Pimms and picnic. Yum! :cool:

This Sunday don't miss an evening of great entertainment by top
    Argentine Tango musicians:
    Carlos Quilici (Bandoneon)
    &
    Javier Fioramonti (Guitar)
    Both are regulars on the London Tango scene and their traditional
    formation of Bandoneon & Guitar will no doubt get your feet off your
    chair and on the dance floor in now time. Their repertoire combines
    traditional Tangos as well as their own compositions in a danceable
    fashion.
    Don't miss the intermediate class this Sunday with David Espada
    (Argentina) & Bridget on Improvisation in close embrace and use of
    space on the dance floor.
    Beginner Class: Matias Acosta & Diana
    Classes: 18:30-19:30
    Dancing from 19:30-23:00
    Prices £10 all or £8 dancing only
    Venue: THE BEDFORD PUB, 77 Bedford Hill, Balham SW12 9HD
    Tube: Balham (Northern Line), Free car park across the road at Sainsburys

5. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

So, the River Tango fest starting soon... I've never been before - any advice/ info on this event appreciated. Not too bothered about workshops (unless any of you guys tell me there is an amazing 'must see' teacher visiting) as I'm coming to Lunnun for a hol and don't really want to be sweating it out in some underground cavern - so any info on venues/ bands etc. I could've sworn Tony Walker was slated to do some of the DJ'g when Heather first posted the link... but he appears to have disappeared from the programme :-( Really want to see Los Macana on Saturday night!

6. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Yep! Get there early - 11/11.30 to secure a ringside seat. It's long day and you'll want to be seated at some point. It's a bit of a meat market, it gets really crowded towards late afternoon with the Argentine Mafia and their Wannabees hogging the dance space. But it makes for a good day out esp. if you're in a group situation. I liked it mostly for the sitting, sipping and people-watching.

7. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

Ta for that! Sitting, sipping and people watching sounds pretty ideal to me! Argentine Mafia - ha ha! Will have to bring my big shades, then... maybe I should buy some Dirty Harry Raybans ;)

8. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

9. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

This sounds good..

Physical Theatre: getting in Contact with Tango

LONDON Sunday 7th September

[SIZE=+0]Contact and Tango are two dance forms that focus on the relation to the other and on the circulation of energy between them. A relation brings always the possibility of drama, or story telling and or poetry in a musical sense.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]Using the dynamics of fluids as an image metaphor we will bring together elements of these two dances to create a richer and liberating form of physical expression.[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=+0]1st Part:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]The first part of the stage will work specifically on the common formal elements of these two dances to create a clear synthesis[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]2nd Part:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]In this part will work on the relation to the partner: on the embrace, on the interplay of balances and counter balances, on falls and lifts, on the rhythmical and melodic tension and elasticity between the partners, developing them in its dramatic or poetic possibilities.[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=+0]The aim is to reach to an improvised dance of great clarity of form and at the same time, free and instinctive in its expression.[/SIZE]

Javier Cura[SIZE=+0] is an argentine american multidisciplinary artist. He has performed, taught, directed and created drama shows in Argentina , Colombia , England , France , Germany (Freiburg), USA , Italy (Orvieto) and Indonesia . His last piece that merges tango and contact in a physical-theatre context was presented in Prague ’s Dance Theatre “Farma Festival”.[/SIZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM575qk7l2U

[SIZE=+0]Workshop: 15:15-19:15[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]Cost £ 20Concessions £15. With Tuesdays Tango workshop: £ 30[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]Info and booking[/SIZE]javiercura@yahoo.com.ar[SIZE=+0]0039 3331623932 / +44 7981489163[/SIZE]
    Gabriela 07816 876226 gabriela.galdiz@mac.com
    [SIZE=+0]Venue: The Thanet, Herbert Street NW5 tube: Chalk Farm/ Camden Town[/SIZE]​

Cor!! And theres more...

A different approach toTango
    London –Tuesday 9th September

The body as a channel: we will use elements of Tai Chi and Contact Improvisation to facilitate the embodiment of the Tango way and colour of movement. It will help in the development of grounding and sensorial kinesis and to approach tango in a more intuitive and sensorial way

The embrace: different kinds of embrace to facilitate different kinds of circulation and relations.
    Voleos y colgadas as a development of a type of embrace and a type of design in the “external” space. And Sacadas y barridas as an invitation to use “internal” spaces.

The objective of the stage is to reach to an improvised dance of great clarity of form and at the same time, free and instinctive in it’s expression and to allow each couple to create it’s own unique Tango

Javier Curais an argentine american multidisciplinary artist. He has performed, taught, directed and created drama shows in Argentina , Colombia , England , France , Germany (Freiburg), USA , Italy (Orvieto) and Indonesia . His last piece that merges tango and contact in a physical-theatre context was presented in Prague ’s Dance Theatre “Farma Festival”. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM575qk7l2U

Workshop: 17:00-21:00
    Cost £ 20 Concessions £15. With Sundays Contact-Tango workshop: £ 30
    Info and booking javiercura@yahoo.com.ar 0039 3331623932 / +44 7981489163
    Gabriela 07816 876226 gabriela.galdiz@mac.com
    Venue: The Thanet, Herbert Street NW5 tube: Chalk Farm/ Camden Town

10. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

So, who's going to any River Tango events this weekend?

What's the Bloomsbury Ballroom like, anyone been?

11. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

I'll be at the Tate on the Saturday (with brolly keenly in hand).

Went to the Bloomsbury Ballroom some years back - it's okay. And structurally sound:)

12. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

So far, Saturday looks OK:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=0008

Just checked the prices - blimey, £25 is a bit steep, innit? Is it a posh do?

13. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

14. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Most of these do's tend to be like your regular milonga but in a posher venue and the guys stepping out in black ties. The £25 entry fee is about right for London, however, you pay more for the privilege of saying you went rather than there being anything new(er) on offer;)

15. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Good review DB. Aaaaggghhhh. A DJ OCD'ing himself on his own rabbit, gets my goat all the pigging time. ('scooze the farmyard stylie pun). Hmm - the words, "all dressed up and nowhere to go" springs to mind. Its hard being a follower amongst too many other followers - standing around gagging to be asked a dance - you go home, look back and think - as the Follower - I didn't get a dance tonight. And all for the price 25 quid (my head shakes as I type).

Did you attend the Tate earlier? Very good - Similar situation for the many ladies later in the afternoon, so I just switched from Follower to Leader - stilettos to ballet flats :) xx

16. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Well, I'm not expert enough to judge, but arguably the guy had earnt the right to do a bit of talking over... Still, yes, there's a lot of adulation in the AT world, isn't there? Blimey, all they do is play some records.

Is there any gender-balancing in AT events? I've not really encountered any such events, and I think it'd be a good idea.

It was actually a bit less dressy than I'd thought - I was half-expecting DJs and cocktail dresses, but it was about the same as a normal Milonga night. I even saw some guys in T-shirts :rolleyes:

Maybe another innovation would be a dress code?

I did the Tate on Sunday instead - nicer weather. I'll do a review & upload some pics real soon now...

17. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

18. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

More river pics..

www.flickr.com

and in the search box enter: River Tango

19. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Ha, ha, ha. Yep! A bit like the Legend of Percival and the Grail. Material possession or adulation of another being the poor substitute for spriitual sublimeness and the spark within. For less rabbit and really good music (nay, the best) do try and check out Alan at La Mariposa's on a Sunday (Clapham Jct) - music at its best (nay- the best) and he doesn't talk - he dances...downside: you hear his stuff, nobody else's compares and so you stand around thinking "God Alan, you've spoiled me"...me and hundreds of others.:rolleyes:

20. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

I've had a few classes with Alan, and I've heard good things about him (e.g. here), but I can almost never get Darn Sarf on a weekend; it was a bit of a culture shock for me just to cross the river on Sunday, I can tell you, I started looking for exit points immediately :)

Funny how Alan and Ros don't get much publicity - maybe he should get a ponytail and she should rename herself "Rosina" or something.