1. bouncybouncyweee

bouncybouncyweee New Member

I wanna hear the leaders opinions on this:

I have about three feet worth of hair, down to my butt. how much do you leaders hate long hair? And would you rather I had it up in a pony tail to whack you in the face,(but you can reach my back), or have it all down so it won't hurt you (but reaching my back is a problem), or have it in this enormous bun that impedes some moves especially in salsla such as a duck?

2. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

That's a tough question. I used to dance fairly often with a woman who's hair was down to her but. When you do it often avoiding the ponytail is no problem. If you don't dance with women with long hair often...OWW...OWW...OWW!! :lol:

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Right on youngsta.

Used to be a big deal for me. I was petrified of engaging the OWW factor! Now however, it's not so bad as I am getting used to the long hair.

If you don't want to risk pain the bun or tight ponytail is the safest option for you. [/quote]

4. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Hey guys! I'd have to confess that I belong to the long hair clan as well :wink:
    In the past I had received nothing but compliments on my hair (down to my butt right now) but recently a couple of guys (kinda newbies) have told me that they are not sure what to do with my hair :shock: in the way.
    As Bouncy, I had tried both the ponytail (hit the guys in the face) and the bun (comes undone as soon as I do one of those over-head moves) :roll:
    Guess I am due for a hair cut.....!
    On the other hand, some guy at a club BEGGED me to whip him with my hair :shock: :lol: just the other day!
    But seriously, would you guys stop dancing with a girl because of long hair? Or you would just avoid a few moves?

5. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

I know one guy who makes a beeline for girls with long hair, the longer the better. He grabs them for salsa in particular and loves doing dips, particularly those ones from one hib to the other, just to watch their hair sweep across the floor. I don't see it myself, but different strokes for different folks, eh. :)

It must be a boy thing.

6. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Oooooh :p I LOVE having that done to me.....!
    I love dips especially when the leader is smooth..... and when I come up, my hair flip forward & covers the guy briefly before I flick it back...! :wink:

7. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

french braids? or low braids? that way you'd just smack him in the chest istead of his face perhaps.

ooh ooooh ooooh Princess Leah buns!!!!

8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I wouldn't stop dancing with a person because of their long hair. [Bad breath, a nasty attitude...these are turn offs, but long hair, tall, fat, skinny, white, black, pregnant, young, old...no way!!!]

Would I only do what I feel I am comfortable with? Yesss!!! If it means fewer moves now, it is a fewer moves. I can live with that, but can you?

9. bouncybouncyweee

bouncybouncyweee New Member

I s'pose I'll live just dandy with fewer moves! I couldn't cut my hair. I'm like samson, except my hair is my personality, not my strength.

10. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

My personal preference is ponytail... I've become used to blinking and/or turning my head in accordance with what move I'm leading... and it only looks silly when I keep doing it with short haired partners. :lol:

11. jon

jon Member

Some years ago I danced country two-step with a woman was was just about my height in her dance shoes. Two-step typically involves lots of spins. Combine that with shoulder-length hair and I found myself suffering the weed-whacker effect. Fortunately few women are that tall :)

12. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Any other tips/suggestions on what to do with one's hair? Has anyone (guys can answer this too :wink: :lol: ) ever worn wigs/hair pieces? How did they, or more importantly, you :wink: survive the experience :D

13. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

LOL! The first time I wore a hair piece, I had a major up-do. (Does everybody know what that means? My hair was pinned up in an elaborate style.) Anyway, right in the middle of my exhibition routine, my teacher, who was only about an inch taller than I, bopped me, right in the middle of my hairpiece, and down it came! :shock: :lol: :lol: Fortunately for me, I'd had enough performance experience that I knew things go wrong, so I just kept dancing. what a laugh!!!! ( At least the hair stayed attached. It was hanging way down my back, LOL, but it didn't fall off! :lol: :lol:

14. Laura

Laura New Member

One thing you can do with long hair is braid it and then pin the braid to your dress somewhere. Competitive Latin dancers were doing this for a while, not sure if it's still in fashion or not.

15. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

I suppose it depends on the type of dancer you are whether it causes a problem or not. A friend of mine has hair down to her butt, but it isn't a problem because she doesn't spot when she turns to create the whip action with her hair.

I on the other hand got mine cut to shoulder length because I felt really guilty about hitting my instructor all the time! :oops:

16. Jmatthew

Jmatthew New Member

My girlfriend's hair is intensely long, which is really great for me, I dig on it, but it drives her nuts. She's got the whole bun-making thing down to a routine that barely takes a moment, but it still annoys her having to rebuild it after almost every dance.

17. Sakura

Sakura New Member

Yay, long hair! I've got hair down to the bottom of the small of my back, and I have plans to grow it further! (If I can that is... I really want a braid that hangs below my butt; but I'm not sure if my genetics will let me grow my hair down that far! :shock: *crossing her fingers* I hope they do!)

I try to put my hair up into a tight bun so that I don't hit anyone; because if I put it into a pony tail (high or low), it'll still go for my lead's face. It has a tendency to eat people... It prefers small children though! :wink: :twisted: :wink: I'd like to leave it down occasionally though; putting it into those buns and pony tails can be bad for the hair; causes breakage and split ends... :shock: :shock: :? :evil:

I may be a tomboy, but that doesn't mean I don't love my hair! 8)

Sakura Kitty :kitty:

18. jon

jon Member

I dated someone who had lovely long hair once, and made sure she knew how much I liked it. She went home for Christmas vacation and came back with a major haircut. I expressed shock, dismay... and she pulled the hair, bundled into a cylinder, out of her suitcase and handed it to me.

It was a great teaching moment. I had what I wanted so badly, so how could I complain any longer?

19. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yes. I never have understood that. Why are men so stringent about keeping a WOMAN's hair long? But a lot of them are.

Not to minimize any of this, but when I want long hair, I buy it and have it woven in. Otherwise, I keep myself comfortable. I've never had a boyfriend who was emotionally invested either way. What's that about? I really woud like to know, as I'm in boyfriend-hunting mode LOL!

20. Laura

Laura New Member

You never know what a guy will go for. My college boyfriend liked my hands. My husband likes my hair. If you're serious about the boyfriend-hunting thing, then find a style that makes you feel like flirting. A favorite author of mine once wrote that it's impossible to flirt if you're having a bad hair day! And if you can't flirt, then the next step of meeting a boyfriend is also impossible.