1. squirrel

squirrel New Member

It is not easy to shock me... but I am just curious!

And why on Earth did you do it???

2. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

It's been my routine to have a big chop every 2-3 years (from middle-of-back length to above neck -- yeah I mean BIG chop :shock:), but this time I decided against it and only took about 20 cm off because of my dancing.

I have the sort of thick curling hair that explodes and doubles in volume when mixed with moisure (e.g. sweat) and movement, especially when it's short and not weighed down by its length. It's much easier to manage when long -- I can just tie it back or roll it up at the nape and tuck in a hair net, although frequently I don't and just wear a hairband of a sort to keep it off my face. I also use my hair as a deterrent -- spin me and risk getting your face whipped! :twisted:

3. Sabor

Sabor New Member

ooh i'm sure i can shock u.. plenty :lol: ..
    i do it once a year.. take a break.. and for the change.. i'm volatile u see :mrgreen:

4. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Oh no! AAAhhhhhhh!!! The curly locks are gone?!!! :cry: Gosh, and I had this new shampoo that....Oh nevermind, it'll grow back.... :wink: :p

:lol: :lol:

5. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

Deterrent!!?? :? :eek: But I want guys to spin me!!!!

When I go to party and feel in a spinny mood I always wear a skirt that flares up. Nothing like encouraging leads to do what you want them to do!! :wink: :lol:

6. clave

clave New Member

First, my lead-centric $0.02 on the subject of this thread: I LOVE getting a mouthful of hair when dancing. The longer the better. The darker the better, blonde simply doesn't do it for me. :)

Now, reality check:
    Don't even get me started on those stupid plastic wristbands they put on you at congresses and some clubs--if you think hair caught in a watch is OWW! can you imagine what an earring yanked out must feel like!? Grr.

So, trying hard not to be a hypocrite, and since I buzz-cut my hair 'cause it's a friggin' nuisance at more than half an inch, I'd say, vanity aside, a girl outght to keep hers not longer than comfortable. But guys definitely fall for long hair, it's just the way our puny chicken brains are wired up. :wink: So if sexy is what you're aiming for let it grow, and don't be shy about asking guys to take off their watches when dancing with you, it's a negligible sacrifice on their part methinks.

As for how to keep it tidy, buns and clips and ponytails work fine, just don't use those stylish japanese wooden sticks to hold the bun, those HURT! :eek:

7. motardmom

motardmom New Member

My favorite hair accessory is a concorde clip: http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip903.htm (scroll about 3/4 of the way down, it's black). I twist my hair up into a french twist then I shove the clip down the center of the twist and I'm all set. I usually get it in there deep enough that only the very top shows and I haven't yet had anyone get hung up on it in a turn. Sometimes I leave a little fluff of hair (or spiky fringe) out the top, sometimes I tuck it all in. I think you can get them at mall accessory stores. I prefer metal over plastic, they stay in better.

BTW, I bet you look just fine with your hair up. We are always more critical of ourselves than others are of us.

8. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Oh -- so... no deterrent for you then :?

9. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

Just a little side note - I tried to "bun" my hair on the weekend. The pins kept falling out. Will have to stick with the high ponytail that is pulled only halfway through for the summer, I think. :x :oops:

10. clave

clave New Member

D'oh! Figures I'd inadvertently insult most of the follows in Scotland with such a comment. Note to self: do not type while drunk on dancing. :oops:

Backpedaling quickly, that was a sarcastic comment referring to the rather sad fashion whereby many gorgeous brunettes feel the need to dye their hair blonde lest they be insufficiently sexy. You must remember that I live awfully close to the epicenter of the "blonde bimbo" phenomenon, it's endemic here to my chagrin. Not to even mention other kinds of, um, personal augmentation. (Where was it I read that there are more viewers of Baywatch in the world than Catholics? Telling, that is...)

So, back on track. Do you keep your hair in its natural colour? If not, why not?

11. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Guys have often told me they LOVE my long, dark brown hair and I wouldn't color it or cut it for ANYTHING! Get a lot of compliments from women, but few from men(remember, this is Japan!) but when I go do parties, the latino guys drool and I get compliments(about my hair!), so that's good enough for me! 8)

12. Laura

Laura New Member

I'm naturally blonde, but it's darkened over the years to something less than scintillating. So I color it, but I keep it in the range of natural golden blonde hues.

13. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

:D Yay!!!!!! You'd love dancing with me then......!!!!!

Any plans to come join us down here any time soon :wink: ?

14. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Well, follows in Scotland come in many shades, from blonde to auburn to pure black. My hair is long AND dark (though not as black as it used to be) -- I was referring to my wearign my hair down when dancing in the hope of putting guys of spinning me too much... obviously it won't work for all guys :lol:

It's true that many young brunettes choose to go blonde because it's considered sexy and attracts male attention (which is true -- when a girl I know went blonde, she immediately noticed the difference). It's also true that many not-so-young-any-more brunettes choose to go blonde when grey hair starts to show. When colouring grey hair, a lighter shade somehow looks more natural than your natural colour (I've been told this is something to do with the change in skin tone that also happens at the same time). Grey is VERY noticeable when you are naturally dark haired and makes you look VERY old -- which is why I dye my hair (not blonde, but certainly a lighter shade than my natural colour).

15. clave

clave New Member

I'm sure I'd love dancing with you for reasons other than hair, such as skill for instance. :) And at the rate my frequent flier miles are piling up I just might show up in the not too distant future.

But I find it most interesting that you refer to your continent as "down here". Aren't you folks supposed to have those maps where the world is shown the "right side up"? :bouncy:

16. clave

clave New Member

Oh, that. Nope, sorry, ineffective twirl deterrent. If, on the other hand, you put lead beads on the ends... :twisted:

17. amrimi

amrimi New Member

My hair is about mid back length. I cannot stand to have it open while dancing because it just gets to hot. The problem is that my hair is very thick, heavy and very sleek, so that all kinds of hairthings won't stay in the hair. However I found a way to fix my hair when I go dancing. First I do a ponytail, then tease (I'm not sure if this is the right word, found it in the dictionary) the hair heavyly. After that I twist it into a loose bun and fix it with a three pronged chignon pin. Around the whole thing I put an elastic with a flower. At the end I only fix some single strands with bobby pins and put lots of hairspray. All of this doesn't take me 5 minutes and usually it holds a whole night of salsa dancing. I like that look becuse it looks less austere as a tight bun.

18. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

My hair is naturally dark brown, but I've dyed it just about every color but blonde . . . black, natural-ish red, crayon-red, blue, green, purple, lighter brown, and various combinations of the above. Currently it's a nice sedate kind of light reddish-brown. :)

Considering my skin tone, dark brown eyebrows, and really not-blonde personality, I just don't see blonde in my future. :rocker: :)

19. clave

clave New Member

:shock: I get the feeling you don't live in Utah... :twisted:

20. tacad

tacad New Member

Long hair is fun to play with. I get to brush it out of the way to get my hand on my partner's back, and of course I never succeed the first time so I have to do it 2 or 3 times. Sometimes there is not time so then I have to hold on to her back through the hair which requires extreme delicacy. Besides which I like the look!