Salsa > Looking 4 beginning salsa lessons in Tucson AZ

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by 2leftfeet, Jan 5, 2004.

1. 2leftfeet

2leftfeet New Member

Can you guys help me out? I've searched on the web for half an hour now, and I can't find anything about lessons, just dancing and music. I am happy for you all who can salsa with the best of them, and hope to join the ranks soon, but for now I want to take lessons, and can't find any.

If you do know of a place, I'm 28 years old, if that helps guide me to one place over another.

Thanks in advance!!

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Try dancespots.net

I found 5 salsa teachers there -- three men and two women either in or within a reasonable driving distance of Tucson.

Disclaimer: These teachers are self-identified. Make sure you talk with them before making any decisions, because I can't personally recommend them. But they are there, and they do teach salsa.

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

2leftfeet,

I didn't know there was anyone else from Tucson here other then myself.

As for beginning Salsa lessons; The Arizona Ballroom Co. has a beginning Salsa class every Tuesday night at 8:00. Studio West also has a class on Tuesday at 7:00; The instructor there will teach beginning level if a large portion of the attendees are beginners, if not he will go straight into intermediate. Both these classes are just five dollars.

Are you new to town?

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yay! Thanks for hooking up with the new guy in town/dance, spitfire! :D

5. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

AZ Ballroom is where I took my very first lesson! :D

6. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

One good strategy can also be to observe a lesson and/or class to get a feel for each instructor. Also, if you go out to any of the local clubs you could see which dancers you admire and ask them who they take from and/or recommend.

7. Spitfire

That same instructor is the one at Studio West now; Louie, he's great.

8. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

No I had Jake as an instructor.

9. Spitfire

You might have been in a different class then. They later went from one class per week to two. You must be referring to Jacob; he is no longer with the studio. Was it a young guy who wore glasses?

10. 2leftfeet

2leftfeet New Member

Rock on guys, thanks!!

No, I'm not new to town. Been here for 5 years this Feb. I work at Raytheon, which is predominantly an older crowd, so no help there.=)

I'll give these places a call, see what the story is.

Thanks again! Maybe I'll see you guys out there one day.

11. Spitfire

Some more info for you 2leftfeet.

You know where the Muse is off the corner 6th and 4th Ave. past the Dairy Queen? There are Salsa classes there as well. The beginning class is on Tuesday from 5:30 - 6:30 and cost 6 dollars. I didn't mention this earlier since I was not sure if it is still going on, but it is still being listed in Tucson Weekly.

One of the swing dancers that I know also works at Raytheon.

12. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Yep that Jacob. And I used to attend both the Tues and Thurs night classes at 8pm. :D

13. Spitfire

Louie, who's classes I was in left ABC not too long after they went to two classes and along with some others I followed him over to where he went afterwards as his classes were very good.

Youngsta, you probably were in those same classes with a lady named Andrea; she later became an instrutor at the studio. It was Andrea who organized those salsathons that I discussed in that other thread. Unfortunately, these are not being held anymore since Andrea recently left. She was an awesome salsa dancer.

14. 2leftfeet

2leftfeet New Member

Now I'm confused. =)

Which beginner salsa class do you recommend I attend, the one at Studio West or the one through ABC?

And if I don't have a partner, am I going to have trouble finding a female partner to dance with?

Thanks again. You've been very helpful.

15. Spitfire

I've never been to the classes at the Muse and as far as the other two go either one though I give more of an edge to Studio West since the instructor is quite good and I have been to many of his classes. Don't worry about a partner as everyone rotates partners during the classes.