Salsa > Looking over my shoulder on open break

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by ticolora, Mar 2, 2017.

1. ticolora

ticolora Member

I want to do a sanity check on this technique, I'm not sure if it's good or is it dumb.

I thought that it would be neat to look over my right shoulder on open break before I lead a lady that way, 1.5 turn RSP, or shoulder catch (shoulder check, stop-n-go). For safety, but also to signal "you are going that way". Also, I *think* if I put some style into it, it might look good (or bad).

And that's my question.

2. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

You can look where ever you want to. That, in and of itself, is not going to influence where I go.

3. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

just do it with a smile

4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

You can look but it's your foot placement and shaping that will invite her to that side. Don't go too extreme or it will not look good as a leader

raindance likes this.
  5. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Assuming that you are dancing on 1 with your left foot, I woukd imagine the best time to turn your head would be after 2. Hopefully you started to open your right side as you stepped onto to and you would naturally continue that opening up to include your head by the beat of 3 or little before.

ticolora and Mr 4 styles like this.
  6. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Turning your head will most likely turn your upper body that direction. I've found it to be a effective way to signal something I'm going to lead.
    It also gives you a better view of what's over there, including someone who might be moving into that space.

ticolora and Mr 4 styles like this.