Swing Discussion Boards > Love N' Dancing New Movie, More West Coast Swing interest?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by BLong206b, May 2, 2009.

1. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

LOL! I really enjoyed that movie when I was younger. Watched it quite a few times. :oops:

Well, Philly or Albuquerque, I'm wondering when it's going to show on this part of the west coast.

2. kayak

kayak Active Member

The good news with Aspen Extreme is it was never a big box office seller, but sure did great in the DVD market. Love N' Dancing might be kind of the same?

3. Terpsichorean Clod

I think Aspen Extreme had a good bit of publicity before heading to...there was a DVD market back then? :shock: I'm not so sure about Love N' Dancing. I wouldn't have known of its existence outside the forums.

BTW, if I recall correctly, you're a bump skier, right?

4. kayak

kayak Active Member

Wow, good memory. Yea, I love skiing bumps. I think it helps with quick feet in dancing :) Hopefully, you got some good skiing out on the west coast this season?

I'm surprised they aren't getting more promotional opportunities for Love N' Dancing. I have only met them a couple times at events, but guys like Royston and Adams never seem to be lacking on promotion. I wonder why there is a struggle to get the word out?

5. Terpsichorean Clod

I didn't get as much skiing as I would've liked. Just one day of snowboarding (for the 2nd and last time in my life :headwall:) and one day of skiing. I'd love to be able to rip the zipperline some day. Moguls strike me as a good, non-life-threatening challenge; they don't require hurling one's body over cliffs. I just picked up Dan DiPiro's book last season and am cautiously optimistic. I think the backside of a mogul feels somewhat like step 3 in a feather step. ;)

Still no sign of the film out here. We have a ton of WCSers who would make a great showing at the theater. Are we glutted for dance movies? Mad Hot Ballroom, Take the Lead, Save the Last Dance, Step Up...

6. kayak

kayak Active Member

You just need to dump that snowboard stuff for telemarking. We discovered that telemark boots are actually pretty WCS danceable for all fun spring concerts ;) What is more fun than splashing around dancing in giant slush puddles?

7. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

8. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

i remember getting an email invite to go and be part of that - of course you had to pay your own way, etc. just for the chance to be an extra. i suspect that getting people to show and pay their own way helped defray costs for the organizers - and it seems that more than a few did just that. but even smokey bear gets something for posing for forest fires; it's a bit more than just taking time off work to be extras in dance scenes filmed locally (los angeles).

as for the movie itself, while the main character's hearing disability was a nice twist, i could watch similar dance sequences on youtube. and as i've suggested elsewhere recently, a film truer to the vagaries to social west coast swing would look more like a cross between strictly ballroom and best of show, especially if such a film were able to capture how truly self important WCS dancers tend to become in their own minds. i haven't been on R.A.D. (the rec.arts.dance newsgroup) in ages, but i'll be willing to bet a goodly sum that it's still dominated by WCS dancers who think their skill in WCS empowers them to pontificate on politics, which ends up being the subject of 95% of the posts there!
    ======

i know there's supposed to be a suspension of disbelief, but:

- who in their right mind would encourage complete beginners to learn WCS for their wedding dance anyway?

- and unless its FADS or AMDS, you'd conclude that the lead's ex's only apparent reason for remaining at the same studio is just to push his buttons - and *not* the inability to go elsewhere because of the unconstitutional non-competitive clauses in their contracts?

i'll stay home and re-watch my pirated version of shall we dance (off a laserdisk from macao that actually has extra scenes not in the miramax version and runs about 2:08.)

9. kayak

kayak Active Member

Yea, I probably wouldn't have joined in the fun if I had to come all the way from California either. For us, it was just a nice road trip kind of like we do for skiing all the time. We had a lot of fun.

I think the snootiness factor always has as much to do about the people as the dance of choice. There are certainly snooty westies. However, there are tons of snooty salsa and ballroom dancers as well. I just choose to hang with the nice ones and skip the others.

10. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

Saw the movie last week, and I thought it was ok. It was not a great movie, and I've seen better dancing (there could be better connection between the music and the dancing), but it was good entertainment and had som humor.

And a good looking chick in the lead role also always helps keeping the interest of a simple minded man like me.

11. Terpsichorean Clod

LOL! I've tried doing some basic charleston in downhill boots.

Maybe it's time to bring back ski ballet. :razz:

12. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

The movie is being shown at Rockaway (NJ) at 4pm on Sun before John Lindo's dance. Then WCS lesson with Robert Royston one of the producer's of the movie.